Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
CKallday71

Where to launch at Dana Point and Newport

Was thinking about heading out to either Newport or Dana Point tomorrow. Where do you guys launch when you to these places? And anybody have any luck or tips for fishing Newport bay or Dana Point?

I'm a little A D D right now so I can't decide where I want to go.

Fishing addiction is in full effect lol.
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
fishsouthcounty

search function is your best friend as a new guy on the board. Anything you can think of to ask, has more then likely been asked and can be found....

with that being said.

DP, Babys beach in the back of the harbor, free parking free launch no waves and short distance from car to sand/water. Longer paddle to harbor mouth/barge.

Boat Launch, 10 bucks, short paddle to the harbor mouth/barge.

Doheny, Enter the park for 15 for the day or pay by the hour at the base of the jetty. Beach launch, typically mild surf. Lots of rocks around the shallows of doheny though so cuidado. Longer drag/carry/wheel to the sand/surf.

Newport is another beast. Not my field. All i know is Coast Guard beach and i dont even know how to get there.

If you are fishing DP. Shoot me a PM and if its on the weekend I am going to start getting back out once i rewire this used Vittles tank i bought.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
easyday

I use the launch ramp at dana point its 10 bucks but its r8ght by the bait barge and they have a wash down station. Its worth the 10 bucks to me and a shorter trip than launching from baby beach.
easyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
CKallday71

Thanks for the info guys! I still haven't decided between DP or Newport. Decisions.....

I typically only fish on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. If anybody is out on those days hit me up.
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
FishNinjaY

DP is super easy. Bring a hose.. it's worth it.

Caution.. the DP ramp is concrete and ridged down to the water. Go easy when coming back in, (and when launching)... it will rip up the bottom of your yak.. and especially be aware if you have the Hobie sailing rudder and/or turbo fins!

Bait barge is right there, and there's good fishing right around there, inside the harbor. Short kick or paddle, and your outside and there are kelp fields you can play in, and there is open ocean right there also.

Newport.. I've heard you can easiily launch right near the Harbor Patrol Station (I think it's on Shoreline or Bayshore, or something like that?), but parking is a bit tricky. You may need to dump your yak and gear, and then go park on the street. It's not far to the bait barge, but I've never done this launch, so I'm just repeating what I've heard. Good bass and rockfish in that area.. I hear. That's on my summer to-do list.

Post up a report!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
easyday

Hey Jay you been out to dp lately?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Hey Jay you been out to dp lately?
This last Monday, with Honcho... we just tooled around inside the harbor and tossed 'chovys. Our boys both got on some halis, but us Dads just played with lizardfish! lol..

I'm out of town this week, so not sure when we'll be out there again. Hopefully soon. How about you Josh?
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
spottie slayer

I use the launch rap for free. All you have to do is park in the lot next to the ramp and walk your kayak in to the ramp. nobody has ever said shit to me and I've been doing this for over 3 years now.
spottie slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottie slayer View Post
I use the launch rap for free. All you have to do is park in the lot next to the ramp and walk your kayak in to the ramp. nobody has ever said shit to me and I've been doing this for over 3 years now.
Sneaky sneaky sir
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
spottie slayer

If you fish dp harbor dont keep any fish plz. keep whatever u want just not in the harbor.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
DanaPT

Quote:
If you fish dp harbor dont keep any fish plz. keep whatever u want just not in the harbor.

Why?
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
which lot are you referring to? the lots next to the launch ramp are both 4 hour parking from 7 am to 6 pm. So either you're walking your kayak from real far or you have gotten extremely lucky to not get any tickets.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
spottie slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Why?
If you take bass from the harbor there wont be any left. Fishing in the harbor is a lot worse than it used to be due to the people on the jetty keeping everything they catch (including shorties). Fish don't move into the harbor and stay there. Fish that reside in the harbor reside in the harbor and fish that reside outside the harbor reside outside the harbor. So many toad spotties have been killed in that harbor and its really sad.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
spottie slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
which lot are you referring to? the lots next to the launch ramp are both 4 hour parking from 7 am to 6 pm. So either you're walking your kayak from real far or you have gotten extremely lucky to not get any tickets.
oh ya i forgot to mention you have to get somone to drop you off thats the problem for most people. I normaly just have my friend take my car with my yak ontop of it, drop me off, then drive it back to my house and have him pick me up later. its good to have dependable friends.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Spaulding4181

Newport coast guard dock is at 1901 Bayside Dr. There are about 8 parking spots and its free from 6am till like 10pm. If you arrive early you should be able to snag a spot. If not, you can pull past the gate and park in the unloading zone and drop your gear, then you can park on Bayside. About 100 yards of sand to the water, or if you are so inclined you can try navigate your rig down the sidewalk around the bathroom (tight squeeze) then down the concrete path and you will only have 20 feet of sand. Used to be a cakewalk until they started the construction of the new building, now the sidewalk got real narrow.
Spaulding4181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Dannowar

Just launch at the wedge!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
spottie slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Just launch at the wedge!
wow thats a brilliant idea