Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
surfisher

11/08 Carlsbad Report

Lack of reports lately so I'll share. I've been seeing YT blow up on bait while surfing at warm waters lately, and I've also heard of the guys getting them off the jetty these past few weeks, though the size they've caught has been smaller grade. Anyways, I decided to take the yak out for a little afternoon mission today before the swell fills in.

Easy launch past the surf and a few paddles and I was in the zone, literally the fish are right past the surf zone. Anyways, started casting around and after my second cast I heard some splashing behind me and turned around to mixed grade yellows (5lb-30+lb judging by the boils) blowing up on bait. Got my waxwing in and it was instant. I was only using a lexa 100 and the fish almost spooled me. Got the head turned and a few head shakes and the hook pulled. Kept at it for about 3 hrs with my buddy for another bite that resulted in another pulled hook from a head shake. Lots of calico bass mixed in as well, albeit a bit on the small side. The key was to get the lure in the middle of them boiling to get bit, never once got a blind strike. They were boxed in a tiny zone from just past the surf line to maybe 100 yards past that. In that 3 hrs, the fish were actively feeding and they would chase the bait for about 10 seconds every like 5 min so it was a little difficult to get in the zone, but they are there. So much fun and doesn't get more local than in the surf zone. I talked to a guy on the jetty when I came in and he said he's been seeing them extremely active, sometimes coming right to the jetty during the first hour of light during the day. He had hooked a few he couldn't stop on the crocs. I tried to get some gopro video but it didn't turn out.

Anyways, might be a fun option to fish off the jetty if the swell is up ... Here is a few photos from today.
Name:  G0019975.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  52.9 KB
Name:  GOPR0002.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  42.3 KB
Name:  GOPR0004.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  40.8 KB
Old 11-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
King Saba

Fun times! Sucks on the pulled hook. I probably would've buttoned down my drag too out of desperation.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote