Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
ceruleandrms

Launching........

For all of you out there that have done both, which beach launch is harder/more difficult/scarier/involves more prayer: LJ or County Line?
ceruleandrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
tamddo714

involves more prayers... LOL
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Dannowar

Does it really matter? People are gonna yard sale at both
Old 06-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Does it really matter? People are gonna yard sale at both
Yeah it does matter. Thats why I'm asking.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleandrms View Post
Let me explain: I live closer to county line. I've yet to have a really bad incident launching but know its bound to happen. I hear LJ can be rough and since I live over 100 miles from there I'm asking for people's opinions. I'm not from Malibu or any of the close beach cities, I'm just someone who enjoys being on the water and tries to get out as much as possible. I usually learn by trial and error but since I would like to fish LJ sometime soon, maybe someone can let me know what to expect.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
jorluivil

Its like comparing apples to tube socks

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
driftwood

Still not sure what your looking for A fishing experience or BIG wave wipe out experience? Cause if your looking for big wave action you're going to be very disappointed next few week off La Jolla.

http://magicseaweed.com/Scripps-Pier...rf-Report/296/
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleandrms View Post

La jolla. You will flip and I will collect the footage and post it on the internet.

Good luck
Old 06-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
County Line/Yerba Buena Beach in Ventura is a quite exposed beach and reef break that has consistent surf and can work at any time of the year.
tube socks!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
GregAndrew

If you can launch at CL when Surfline forecasts 2-3 footers, then you will almost never have any problem with LJ.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Dannowar

To answer te question. If you're 100 miles away, la jolla is pretty predictable. Launchable almost year round. Avoid short period large swell and you're good.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Still not sure what your looking for A fishing experience or BIG wave wipe out experience? Cause if your looking for big wave action you're going to be very disappointed next few week off La Jolla.

http://magicseaweed.com/Scripps-Pier...rf-Report/296/
Looking for a new fishing experience in a new area. I can do county line but never did LJ so I'm trying to get an idea on how its gonna be.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
To answer te question. If you're 100 miles away, la jolla is pretty predictable. Launchable almost year round. Avoid short period large swell and you're good.
Thank you.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
momo fish

I have now done both and can provide a non-sarcastic or non-ahole response.

La jolla seems to be half as bad as county line. A better comparison would be nearby Leo Carrillo. It's a short 20 minute paddle to county and can fish spots along the way or drift back in afternoon.

I launch a few times this year from county and today may be my last for now. Predicted 2-3 footers but the short intervals was the surprise. I never took so many waves to the face than today and through deep prayers made it much to the delight of the surfers. 4 waves to the face is enough for me to stick to Leo until conditions are better.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #15
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Oh stop being a fun hater
Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Every site needs at least one a-hole... otherwise the site would be anal retentive - it's a biological fact.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #17
TCS

As stated above, the key at La Jolla is the interval. A 3 foot swell with an 8 second interaval will break chest high (chest high on a surfer, overhead on a kayaker) at the launch. A 3 foot swell with a 14 second interval and the a launch is like a lake.

This time of year its important to not just look at the forecast model because it often misses the windswell. Look at the CDIP forecast or the torrey pines bouy to see the actual interval before you drive down.

I would also suggest you go out without your fishing gear on a day that there is some surf and practice. Unless you have a PA, which is really a boat and not a kayak, you should be able to handle waist high surf pretty easily.

Charge it on the way out and keep the kayak facing directly into the waves. On the way back in try and stay on the backs of the waves. If a wave is catching up with you don't surf it. Instead, put your feet in the water and back paddle so the wave goes under you then paddle as far as you can before the next one catches up with you, then back paddle again.

Next time your shopping for a kayak, talk to Andy about which models handle surf the best so that you have more days you can fish. I like the adventure for this reason.

Last edited by TCS; 06-09-2014 at 07:48 AM.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #18
Dannowar

Didn't mean to come across like a dick...thought the thread was about which was scarier in a macho kind of way. All in good fun.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #19
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
As stated above, the key at La Jolla is the interval. A 3 foot swell with an 8 second interaval will break chest high (chest high on a surfer, overhead on a kayaker) at the launch. A 3 foot swell with a 14 second interval and the a launch is like a lake.

This time of year its important to not just look at the forecast model because it often misses the windswell. Look at the CDIP forecast or the torrey pines bouy to see the actual interval before you drive down.

I would also suggest you go out without your fishing gear on a day that there is some surf and practice. Unless you have a PA, which is really a boat and not a kayak, you should be able to handle waist high surf pretty easily.

Charge it on the way out and keep the kayak facing directly into the waves. On the way back in try and stay on the backs of the waves. If a wave is catching up with you don't surf it. Instead, put your feet in the water and back paddle so the wave goes under you then paddle as far as you can before the next one catches up with you, then back paddle again.

Next time your shopping for a kayak, talk to Andy about which models handle surf the best so that you have more days you can fish. I like the adventure for this reason.
Thank you for the good advice. Appreciate it very much
Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #20
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Get out and try it - there will always be days where La Jolla is not-so-bueno for noobs, and there are other days when County Line is not-so-bueno for noobs.

The trick is not to figure out which beach is better for noobs... the trick is to get some experience and not be a noob.

Just make sure everything is stored below decks and everything is leashed.

If you're worried about losing stuff, then get out there and practice without any gear. It'll be worth it.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote