Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
sdyeti

Vehicle Top Kayak Security

Hey all, I'm curious what y'all think about this possible solution for vehicle top security.

Part 1 a 1/2" marine padeye bolted through the roof and gooped for leaks. Part 2 is Kryptonite bike lock that goes through the pad eye, a scupper drain, and the hole where the pedal drive goes.

Any thoughts? I'm definitely open to other suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171107_140339.jpg (32.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171107_140346.jpg (48.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171107_140318.jpg (77.3 KB, 186 views)
sdyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
jrip
Water dog

I just use locking tie-down straps.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

I would've gone a step further and welded the padeye to the frame of the vehicle. It doesn't take anymore than a pair of tinsnips to cut through that sheet metal on your roof.

For f**ks sake, what the hell are you doing? Are you trolling or is this a legit post?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Dave Legacy

I wish you would have asked this question before drilling through your roof skin!
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
DanaPT

Can't wait to see some more of your DIY work.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
sdyeti

Well I was hoping for more ideas and less commentary but thanks none the less for the thoughts...

I don't have any place to store the kayak. Small apartment, no garage. OEX and MCRD are full up. NBPL Sailing Center should be up and going for kayak storage sometime in early 2018. Currently the yak lives on top of the van. In 2014 I had a Stealth14 stolen from the top of the van. I'm trying to not have that happen again. I probably shouldn't have bought the new kayak but as you all most likely know, this shit is fun and I have missed it.

Quite honestly there is very little play between the kayak and the roof. I feel that it would be pretty hard to snip the roof in the current configuration or you would have to snip a very large section of it. My main concern is that the potential thief just jacks up the kayak when he/she trys to get it off. The van itself is of no real value. Its old and has been a storage unit with wheels for most of its time in SD. It is not my main ride.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

Hopefully it is out of the sun. Long term UV exposure will make it brittle. If it is covered then chain through the windows and through scupper or drive slot would have worked with the windows barely down. Remove chain when you need to drive somewhere

To each their own. If it works for you then go with it
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
sdyeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Hopefully it is out of the sun. Long term UV exposure will make it brittle. If it is covered then chain through the windows and through scupper or drive slot would have worked with the windows barely down. Remove chain when you need to drive somewhere

To each their own. If it works for you then go with it
Thanks for this...I definitely do need to get/make a cover. On the list for sure.
I have been using a cable through the flex pod opening and the windows for the last week but I've just felt like it was too easy to cut through. However I do wonder about maybe getting some large diameter chain and running it as you propose to act as a fairly noticeable deterrent. The bike lock definitely isn't noticeable.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdyeti View Post
Thanks for this...I definitely do need to get/make a cover. On the list for sure.
I have been using a cable through the flex pod opening and the windows for the last week but I've just felt like it was too easy to cut through. However I do wonder about maybe getting some large diameter chain and running it as you propose to act as a fairly noticeable deterrent. The bike lock definitely isn't noticeable.
Visible deterrent is better. If they can’t see that it is secured then it might get damaged if they think it is just stuck and try to muscle it off

I would go with a bigger backing plate as well. And trim off the excess bolt before you accidentally scalp yourself. Or at least put a cap nut on there
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
Dave Legacy

Is renting a storage unit an option? I’m sure the unit would be bigger than you need due to the required length of the kayak, but maybe the extra room would be handy for storing other stuff too. Might be a couple hundred a month, but I don’t know how well that yak is gonna hold up even in the short term being stored on top of a van outdoors.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
FullFlavorPike

Seems legit.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
sdyeti

Bigger backing plate definitely seems like a good idea. Not as worried about skinning the head but a cap nut is a solid idea as well.

Storage units are just too much. I don't really have anything else to store in one that isn't already being stored in the van. A year of storage fees would almost be the cost of a brand new yak. Storage at OEX would be $35/month and acceptable. $150+ is not. MCRD or on base storage is like $80-120 a year and I will be calling them every week until a spot opens up. Until then its on top of the van.

I'll probably be leaving the van at the small naval facility I work at fairly often. Its secured parking and there are cameras all over the one entry/exit point. I tend to leave it there kinda often and there is yet to be an issue.

Last edited by sdyeti; 11-07-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
jbl_91762

there are some wise guys on this forum as everywhere on this planet so disregard them. If you would have explained your situation first like you did your 2nd post we would have better understood. Great Idea in your situation but and good advice from others, but I second the one with more visibility like a heavy duty cable wrapped around and through then in windows.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
skrilla

Barbedwire, Molon Labe decal, wall mounted AR15... done.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I like to put barb wire... and some cobra snakes inside my kayak.. to scare people away... I also would of gone a step forward... and cement broken glass on the roof of the car....

just kidding

in all honesty... In case the car ever rolls over.. your head hitting those screws.... is going to hurt

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 11-08-2017 at 03:12 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #16
Iceman
Administrator

if you had a roof rack with load bars just attaching it to that would be good. There is the convenience thief and the hard core thief. I just worry about the former.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #17
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
if you had a roof rack with load bars just attaching it to that would be good. There is the convenience thief and the hard core thief. I just worry about the former.

No doubt... if they want it bad enough they are gonna get it.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote