Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

The Magic Hour

The Magic Hour:

It can be the right place at the right time, it may consist of local knowledge or just dumb luck. However when it happens, you are in for the time of your life. For me on this day, it must have been a little of it all mixed together. However by far this was the easiest kayak fishing experience I have ever had in Baja and a nice harvest of organic eats consisting of Orange Mouth Corvina, Yellowtail, Sierra Mackeral, Sculpin, spotted bay bass and trigger fish. (Only a select few were harvested)

I had fished 3 days in a row but only got a chance to kayak fish my last day, I met up with a few BWE members Denis Ruso and a friend on day 1 and we did some surf fishing and they invited me on their panga on Sat. Needless to say we fished hard, had fun and filled up their ice chest with plenty of meat to take home. Thanks again Denis, another epic baja adventure in the books!

The Report:

In search for the magic hour I planned to launch between 3-4pm as the tide started to change, visibility was 10-15 feet and a little on the cloudy side. I decided to hit a shallow rocky reef that I knew were holding some Orange Mouth Corvina from a few days prior in the surf. It took me about 45 minutes to locate the school and then it happened.

I noticed subtle ripples on the surface that looked like nervous dancing baits, then I see a beautiful silverish fish leap out of the water, I paddle closer and toss a brand-new chrome kroc pass the boil and start cranking. I get hit and its game on. 1st mission accomplished a nice eating size Corvina.

Keeping an eye out for more boils it begins, surrounded by boils and it’s another perfect cast that hit's the water and it is immediately pulling lots of drag, I end up getting straight up and down with the fish and can see it's a nice size grouper. I can’t believe the size of this fish for 10 feet of water and he is half way under his rock. Knowing I need to turn him before I get rocked I thumb the spool and crank. He turns and shortly after successfully land him.

I’m super stoked and pumped, I know I found the zone! Out in deeper water I see another boil to my left and another on my right. I quickly start paddling out, but before I can get there another boil erupts around me and its Yellowtail on the surface. I hook up on a 5lb micro Yellow, I muscle him to the boat and quickly pop him off for a safe release. Then another one on the next cast. He is pulling mad drag and is guestimated about 15 lbs. I get him to the boat and he spits the hook. Another safe release.

This continues for about a solid hour before dark with a fish on just about every few casts. The crazy thing was every boil was a different species, I ended up landing some big sierra, more corvina, a sculpin, some chunky spotties, pesky triggers and some micro yellows.

With some fish to filet before dark I left them biting. One of the easiest happy paddle back.

All fish were caught on a light bass setup with 1 jig. A chrome 1 oz Kroc I had borrowed and returned to MakoBob. Thanks, Bob!

I went through an entire tackle box of jigs the day before fishing with Denis and his friend. I also ended up donating my Torium 30 and rod to a Sierra Mackerel that seemed to want it more than I did. It was the ongoing joke of the weekend. However, that story is for another day.

On a side note I stopped by Mako-ville and met some new BWE members, I can’t remember their names but everybody seemed cool. We also ended up doing 2 nights of some Baja Yoga at my place, which I never in a million years thought I would be doing. It was great. Great times had by all.
Attached Images

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 11-28-2017 at 11:09 AM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Some pics
Attached Images

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
Old 11-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

And a few more:
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

One of the islands when we were on the Panga on Saturday. The Baja boat launch retrieve from day 2. The last sight of my Torium before giving it to the Sierra Mackeral.
Attached Images

Last edited by SDROB; 11-28-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
One of the islands when we were on the Panga on Saturday. The Baja boat launch retrieve from day 2. The last sight of my Torium before giving it to the Sierra Mackeral.
Nice post amigo. You were way past due.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
Druko

Looks like a great time Rob! Missing Baja already
Old 11-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
And a few more:
I would go with WSB (if there was a "zipper") or Shortfin Corvina (if it had large canine teeth) on the first fish. Just based on the shape of the tail.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #8
Dannowar

dude that Sierra....

saw some that size swimming around the point, i call em "Bufeo Wahoo" now

stoked you scored the variety pack
Old 11-29-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

That Sierra is "Holy CraP!" sized
Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
primosurf

Thumbs up

Very nice report!
primosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #11
farreola

NICE!!!
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
Denis_Ruso

Haha, epic times as always homie

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I would go with WSB (if there was a "zipper") or Shortfin Corvina (if it had large canine teeth) on the first fish. Just based on the shape of the tail.
I didn't notice any zipper when I filleted it but I did notice the big fangs and orangish color in it's mouth which made me think it was a OM corvina.

With that being said one of the local's I was with while I was filleting told me it wasn't a Corvina, I can't remember what he called it in Spanish but he told me it def wasn't.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
GregAndrew

The only other thing down there that resembles those is the Totuava. But just like the Orange mouth Corvina, the Totuava tail is longer in the middle than at the ends. If it had fangs, then I am pretty sure it was a Shortfin Corvina. MexFish.com has some pretty good info, pics and comparisons of these fish.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #15
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
The only other thing down there that resembles those is the Totuava. But just like the Orange mouth Corvina, the Totuava tail is longer in the middle than at the ends. If it had fangs, then I am pretty sure it was a Shortfin Corvina. MexFish.com has some pretty good info, pics and comparisons of these fish.
I appreciate the knowledge Greg. Im gonna check it out now.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #16
taggermike

Great report and congrats.
The variety of species available is one the greatest things about Baja fishing.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #17
PapaDave

Nice fish.

How did you loose you Torium to a Sierra?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Nice fish.

How did you loose your Torium to a Sierra?
He was pulling lots of drag and I wanted to position myself a little better to muscle him in and I slipped and lost my footing on fish blood n slime.

I slipped, my rod hit the rail and took off flying into the drink. I caught lot's of fish on that setup, it will be missed!

Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 AM   #19
MrPukaShell

Way to go Rob, that Sierra was a slug.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote