Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
Law Hand

VERY NICE WORK!
Law Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #22
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
What's your E.T.A. on the finished product? Maybe we could buddy boat for some local tuna...my legs never run out of gas .

I want to be done before the tuna get on the 302 bank, can you do thirty miles?
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #23
Dan

killer project. do you plan on having an outrigger on that? your shop looks so cool.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #24
Billy V

Jim,

I have the 6 HP Nissan/Tohatsu for my porta-bote, it is a very economical motor that will give you some reserve power if needed.

The weight is 55 lbs and it can be transported on its side without leaking.

I'm sure you would have the fastest kayak in Cali.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #25
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Jim,

I have the 6 HP Nissan/Tohatsu for my porta-bote, it is a very economical motor that will give you some reserve power if needed.

The weight is 55 lbs and it can be transported on its side without leaking.

I'm sure you would have the fastest kayak in Cali.
I was thinking more along the lines of one of these:

JetCat P-160 turbine complete with starter includes:

Jet-tronic ECU (fuel control electronics), GSU (Display and Programmer), LED I/O board, Miniature fuel pump, Electronic starting gas valve, Electronic Fuel valve, Fuel tubing, tubing connector set, filters, and cable set, 6 cell 1250mA battery pack , Starting gas tank, Turbine mounting clamp, RamTec compatible, Detailed instruction manual, Thrust: 34 lbs @ 128,000 RPM

Weight: 3.34 LB
Diameter: 4.4 inches
RPM Range: 32,000 - 128,000 RPM
Exhaust gas temp.: 650°C-770°C

Hey you can't beat the weight to thrust ratio!!!

This guy definitely has the right idea:

He's got a nice street legal bug.

Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #26
payaso del mar
Junior

more on the Honda 2hp

also own a 2hp honda for sevl years and concur with Joe somewhat. the thing is noisy as hell....i worry about waking up the cruisers sleeping on sailboats in the marina when i come in at night! it's louder just off idle than my 8hp Rude is at 3/4 throttle. i can only imagine what it would sound like with that nice aluminum resonance chamber you're building.... beautiful fabrication work, BTW!

the leakage of oil can be avoided by being careful to never set it down on wrong side, as with most 4 stroke motors. but you'll never get the gas cap & vent opening sealed well enough to keep gas in (MR Honda lies when he says you can), so plan on draining it when you shut it down, or monitor your fuel so you nearly run it dry when you come in.

aside from the noise, great motor. one guy on Trailer Sailors shoved his MacGregor 26 sailboat at 5 knots with one; it will get maybe 7 (statute) mph on the 12' portabote per my GPS. it might be a little underpowered to battle wind on the open ocean. fact that it's 100% air cooled (unlike the "air cooled" outboards of yore, which often still used a water pump to cool exhaust leg) means it's a great flats and shallow water motor since it cannot suck silt, not that this would help for your application.

bottom line based on what i've learned about the 2hp is i like the 4 stroke and the honda aspects (it's a CT50 trailbike motor with a prop!) but i might go for something a tiny bit larger and water cooled if i had to do it again.........
payaso del mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #27
Zed
BANNED

Un-stoppable! That mini jet is really cool.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #28
dadandsonkayak

this makes me wanna have one too! tuna fishing from a kayak is like a dream that i have yet to fulfill