Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Royak

Safeway Boycott? (MLPA)

April 27, 2011 - RFA CALLS FOR A NATIONAL BOYCOTT OF SAFEWAY SUPERMARKET CHAIN
Campaign To Educate Corporate Giant On Anti-Fishing "Greenwashing"
Recreational fishermen are being urged to Stay Away From Safeway!

More: http://www.joinrfa.org/Press/SafewayBoycott_042711.pdf
Royak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Lets_Fish

I think it's important that we all know which chain of stores in your area are linked to the Safeway brand. I have found that VONS is linked to there stores in San Diego & the Temecula area.

Here is a link for the store locator: http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Store-Locator
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royak View Post
April 27, 2011 - RFA CALLS FOR A NATIONAL BOYCOTT OF SAFEWAY SUPERMARKET CHAIN
Campaign To Educate Corporate Giant On Anti-Fishing "Greenwashing"
Recreational fishermen are being urged to Stay Away From Safeway!

More: http://www.joinrfa.org/Press/SafewayBoycott_042711.pdf
I don't shop Safeway anyways, but how effective is this by just not shopping there? Given the flux of the economy right now I don't think they are going to add anything up at the higher level.

Some media exposure, picket line, demonstration, something of that nature might make them notice though.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Safeway in SoCal is Vons. They probably will not notice our boycott, but if hundreds, hopefully thousands of people send a letter to the company expressing disappointment with their misguided support of the MLPA closures, someone might pay attention.

I sent my letter and so have several of my friends. You should do it too.

The thing is that this position is probably not a considered one. I bet that someone in the marketing department thought that they could get some "Green Points" by embracing the MLPA closures without taking time to learn anything about the subject. I suspect that no one in the department that made this proclamation has any clue what this issue is all about.

When you write, make that point the focus of your argument.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The thing is that this position is probably not a considered one. I bet that someone in the marketing department thought that they could get some "Green Points" by embracing the MLPA closures without taking time to learn anything about the subject. I suspect that no one in the department that made this proclamation has any clue what this issue is all about.
Exactly, this happens all too often, under the radar moves that people don't really understand, hoping to parallel public opinion (Everybody ought be supportive of protecting marine life, right?).

I will send a letter. One of these days though we really oughta try to get some media exposure, put all of this crap in the minds of the public and hopefully the higher-ups that make these decisions.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote