Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

beats a skunk

Dropped hoops in DP monday night with a few guys from the board. Pickins were slow for me as haul after haul produced empty nets. Right about the time I found a good crawl, the bolts on my pro angler seat busted giving me a rocking chair to pedal in...not comfortable. In one pull I managed one bug whos carapace measured about an inch over the legal mark, on that could have been legal but too close to risk and 2 definite shorts. Well I caught my first California spiny lobster! Tried to stick around to find him a companion but the weird rocking peddling was super annoying so took it in around 9:30. Was home by 10:15 with a bottle of bubbly and had this guy cooked and served up for me and my wife by 11. Im hooked. Can't wait to get some more

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
DanaPT

Nice work, nice sized first.

Now that DP is out of bugs... where should we be hooping next? Kind of surprised to see so few reports.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
LawDog

As past history indicates, no(or few) reports isnt necessarly a bad thing. People are a bit reluctant to tell about their honey hole untill they are done with it. Just do your thing and make good educated decisions.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I guess lobster blood counts!! Nice eats. Congratulations.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
blitzburgh

Nice bug!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
As past history indicates, no(or few) reports isnt necessarly a bad thing. People are a bit reluctant to tell about their honey hole untill they are done with it. Just do your thing and make good educated decisions.
Well I will agree DP is out of bugs, Monday yielded very few shorts and even few to no legals for the yaks out there, same story with every boat I talk to out on the water. I also noticed more commercial traps than last year out by the headlands.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Aaron&Julie

Congrats on breaking the ice. It only takes the first one to hook you on "bugging".
Old 10-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I think it's pretty obvious to most where the bugs are when the season opens. Didnt look to be a secret from the blinking lights every 5 feet down the breakwall. Just surprises me how fast the legal bugs get picked off and how many shorts are left to pick through in a few short weeks. My question is from all the bugs that are just short of being a keeper, how long until that same bug is big enough to take? How fast do these guys grow?

Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
How fast do these guys grow?

It takes about seven years for a bug to become large enough to be considered legal.

Thus, depending on the size of the particular "short", it maybe few years. With all of the shorts that are out there, if the poachers don't keep them, in few years we should have plenty of bugs to keep.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
TJones

shiznit

reaping the rewards . yes we love this sport for its exercise and the feeling of being on the water with all its serenity , let alone the closeness with the creator . but there is nothing like the rewards at the end of day and getting back some of what we put into it . what a special feeling . money well spent this trip . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
DocHaole

DP out of bugs

That's right, Dana Point is officially out of bugs. Everyone can all go somewhere else because they are fresh out until October 2014.

However I will continue to go just to check on the stock. And I promise to report back just incase they show up again.
DocHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
reaping the rewards . yes we love this sport for its exercise and the feeling of being on the water with all its serenity , let alone the closeness with the creator . but there is nothing like the rewards at the end of day and getting back some of what we put into it . what a special feeling . money well spent this trip . .
Well said

Old 10-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Vikingj

Hey WN,
Very nice bug! Thanks for sharing. Didn't know there were any that size left in DP. My 3 buds and I were out about an hour before you and got an earlier start to score an average of 3 just-legal bugs each. Dozens & dozens of shorts but few keepers. All of our nets came up empty about 8:30 so we went home.
Otherwise, it was an exceptional night!.. colorful sunset, calm as a lake, little wind, twinkling blue/yellow/red/green lights reflecting off the water, bright stars overhead, plenty of company and lively/friendly chatter (I counted 11-12 yaks + several pb's). A real change from the usual choppy, windy. and overcast nights last week.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote