Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

Lj fish report for 10-8-13

Didn't make a launch til about 8am. First time I had ever been to la jolla during the week, it was really nice. Fishing, not too great. The wind actually stayed down for the most part. On the way out saw pod of porpoise inside the mlpa heading out and thought it could be a good sign. The lobster boats chopping up the kelp beds make it a pain to peddle a hobie through. Bait was abundant. Caught plenty of greenbacks and a couple Spanish. Had one on a dropper loop in about 80 ft of water, and something BIG broke me off (25 flouro leader) maybe you guys can help me with this question? Would a seal be feeding 80 ft down or was it something else. Had a couple good size calicos follow my 9 " swimbait to the kayak but didn't pick it up. Also LOTS of señorita bait fish. Was gonna put one on a dropper because they were eating my sabiki , but through most back in the water. Was out til 3 pm til my buddy was getting a little sick so headed in. Oh and lots of rockfish out there . And the rock piles are easy to find just look for about 20 white bouys bunched in a group.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Nice trip thanks for the bait report. In my experience that could be a seal, sometimes they will follow your line down.
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
jorluivil

I've had a seal hit my bait and get hooked in 80' in LJ, as soon as it hit I thought it was the right kind. However, as soon as I noticed my sonar showed the fish coming up I knew it was the wrong kind. Sure enough, about 50' from my kayak the seal surfaced with my hook in its mouth, as soon as it saw me it got spooked and startd running, I thumbed the spool and broke my line off before it spooled me.

I guess you had one of those shoud-a would-a but didn't moments.

P.S.
how did it break you off? Did you tighthen your drag?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I've had a seal hit my bait and get hooked in 80' in LJ, as soon as it hit I thought it was the right kind. However, as soon as I noticed my sonar showed the fish coming up I knew it was the wrong kind. Sure enough, about 50' from my kayak the seal surfaced with my hook in its mouth, as soon as it saw me it got spooked and startd running, I thumbed the spool and broke my line off before it spooled me.

I guess you had one of those shoud-a would-a but didn't moments.

P.S.
how did it break you off? Did you tighthen your drag?
Well it picked up the greenie my drag was actually pretty loose. 10 lbs max and it ran for about 5 second and SNAP. 25 lb flouro leader tied to 65 lb braid
Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

I guess the line could have been BIT and not snapped .
Old 10-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
YTHunter
Carlisle

Went out last Sunday and seals got my greenback two different times. Fortunately, they yanked it off the hook rather than swallowing the hook. They first one grabbed my mackrel about 50 yards from my kayak and then quickly swam right by my boat as if to say "F' you, what are you going to do about it?" and then swam off. What an A'hole!!!
YTHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

seal, 7gill, soupfin, thresher, spiny lobster. who knows. cuda will do that too.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
seal, 7gill, soupfin, thresher, spiny lobster. who knows. cuda will do that too.
That would have been a world record lobster. Maybe you're right...
Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Dave k

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Well it picked up the greenie my drag was actually pretty loose. 10 lbs max and it ran for about 5 second and SNAP. 25 lb flouro leader tied to 65 lb braid
Lots of factors including smoothness of drag, rod action, topshot length, etc. but 10#s of drag is a little heavy for 25 fluoro IMHO.

Sounds like a fun day on the water. Better than working!
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Gws. No doubt in my mind. Gws all day long

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Gws. No doubt in my mind. Gws all day long
Still have some in my freezer from last time.