Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
don't be a tool, if there's any doubt if you're gonna get stuck or not, pull over to the 15 minute loading zone adjacent to the launch ramp and unload there.

i know that most of the people doing this are not members of this board, i'm making this notice so there's no hassle for anyone who frequents these boards and is planning a trip to LJ.
I do not have a truck, or 4WD or AWD - I have a car with front wheel drive. I have seen a number of cars on the sand there, maybe they are AWD - but where is the 15 minute loading zone adjacent to the launch ramp?

Where on this photo relative to the blue/gray jeep/truck?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #22
Rob929

Its the whole curb along the street leading up to the luanch area. You will know you are there when the street signs say "15 minute loading..."
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #23
roadx

Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
old_rookie

Thanks - looks like I'll need to wheel it.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #25
beardedguy
gurmpy old one

A piece of chain link fence works great!!
beardedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #26
old_rookie

Just got back from visiting the boat launch area. I saw the 15min loading area. I figure I can unload there - not too far from the sand without wheels. Once on the sand, I can drag it around that platform - but.... do I just leave my kayak there in the sand to the right of the launch/triangle area while I park my car? I probably should write down that # that is molded on the side and stick it in my wallet.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #27
j mo

For goodness sake- just get out there and DO IT. I promise you will not be alone. Just do what everyone else is doing....

It is the easiest place to launch along the coast in all of San Diego, don’t suffer from analysis paralysis, if you want to fish then get out there and fish and get busy living
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #28
drunkentiger765
Junior

If you are careful and smart you can take your car on the beach no problem.

My towncar has made it multiple times without coming close to get stuck.
Just dont stop on the loose sand. only stop on the sand that is compacted.

though now thats its "summer" the beach is probably a little to packed for to risk having to stop on the loose part.

speaking of hitting people the "Steve Moyer Memorial tournament" was crazy when I did it. Im really really surprise we didnt hit anyone when returning. It was full of cars and people on the beach.
drunkentiger765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #29
dorado50

Lightbulb

If you park on the street and wheel the kayak onto the beach is it better to wear tennis shoes or sandels? But than again, if I unload yak on the beach would it be better to just forget about the tennis shoes and wear the sandels?, or just go barefoot?
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #30
fishes

Speaking of getting stuck. I've been watching these guys for the last 10 minutes. Used paddles to dig rear wheels out.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #31
dorado50

I would conclude that from this time forward,at least thru weekend, that one might be better off by unloading and loading kayak from the street.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #32
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
If you park on the street and wheel the kayak onto the beach is it better to wear tennis shoes or sandels? But than again, if I unload yak on the beach would it be better to just forget about the tennis shoes and wear the sandels?, or just go barefoot?

What if you are holding your paddle and you sneeze. how do you cover your nose?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #33
Kahouna

That black truck was there when I left. Lincoln right? There was a little truck stuck earlier that a couple of us were able to push out. He was told to not spin his tires and just idle out. He was throwing a rooster tail and fishtailing all the way to the pavement. Nice job kid! I put my truck in 4X4 when I left, but doubt I really needed it. Sure didn't at 0630.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #34
bluesquids

Quote:
If you park on the street and wheel the kayak onto the beach is it better to wear tennis shoes or sandels?
Don't forget to put sunblock on your feet if you go the sandal route or you'll be screwed fo' sure!

Last edited by bluesquids; 07-16-2010 at 02:13 PM.
bluesquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #35
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
Don't forget to put sunblock on your feet if you go the sandel route or you'll be screwed fo' sure!

do you guys put the sunblock on before or after putting on your sandals????
Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #36
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Today was my first "Summer Zoo" experience this year at the launch. Massive crowds combined with high tide and hundreds of rental yakers made landing and loading very interesting. Inexperienced drivers like the guy Kahuna mentioned, have really torn up the sand. It was so soft and bumpy that I had to put my Sequoia in 4 wheel to get out.

Part of the problem is that at high tide, everyone has to make a tight turn in soft sand to get around the triangle. Not a problem if you have a 4WD but an average car or truck with skinny tires is going to get stuck more often than not.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that if you think there might be a problem, don't drive on the sand. This is probably good advice.

Oh, in case anyone is interested, the fish took the morning off this day. I did not see anyone catch anything other than bait. Squid was very hard to find. The greenies I caught were huge, 12 to 15 inches. All survived the day without a scratch.

Maybe next time.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #37
old_rookie

Quote:
do you guys put the sunblock on before or after putting on your sandals????

OK - I get the point. Yeah, I know I'm making a big deal out of it.