Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
todd one

SD BAY 10/17

launch at 7am with linglifter. Conditions were excellent, we thought in was going to be a productive day. That wasn't the case at all. We pedaled all over the bay for about six hour, with a couple little bites to show for it. Tony had to leave about 1pm, and I was determined to get a nice Halibut on my new set up. So Tony donated the rest of his dines to my cause and bailed. I told myself I wasn't leaving until I caught a Hali or I used the last dine. Right about that time thing really got tough. The wind picked up and tide started ripping out so fast I couldn't stop pedaling with out getting pushed back. I would pedal up fifty yards, and drift back with the current, using the pedal to slow the drift. I did this over and over for four hours without a bite. Then finally, abut 5:00 things calmed down. I had three dines left, and figured I had an hour and a half to find big mamma before it got dark. I was a pretty long way from the launch, so I started slow trolling back that was. A half hour later I hooked up. It wasn't big mamma, so I was going to release it. Then I thought, I've been out here for 10 hours and I'm hungry. So I put the pliers down and grabbed the gaff. Now I felt better about my day, now that I caught something. Now I had two dines and a little day light left. I fished a little while longer and decided it was time to call it quits when the hooper were coming out. So I went home and had Halibut that was caught two hours ago.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
todd one

Name:  72.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 10-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Nice fish! The wind picked up for me last weekend also. Hopefully not tomorrow because I'll be on the water in San Diego bay. I'm using a trap hook this time though. I missed too many fish. Is that reel an MXL?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
bosshoss

Way to slay Todd !!!!!!
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Nice fish! The wind picked up for me last weekend also. Hopefully not tomorrow because I'll be on the water in San Diego bay. I'm using a trap hook this time though. I missed too many fish. Is that reel an MXL?
It's an Avet sx. same reel just smaller. Good luck out there.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
Way to slay Todd !!!!!!
I wouldn't call 12 hour on the water, and one barely legal fish slaying, but thanks.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
walrus

I got to give kudos to you when it comes to determination.

Fresh halibut, just thinking of it makes my mouth water.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Linglifter

Linglifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Damn like that Todd. Can't even gets text huh. Just bustin ya balls. I had work and other gibberish to tend to. The bay has slowed down considerably. Guess it's time to rethink our strategy. Hummm, home guard anyone??
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote