Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Punchdrunk Monkey
Junior

tandem advice

My son has outgrown his GatorHatch on the X-Factor so now it's time to sell/trade the fish n dive for a tandem. I've never owned a tandem, or never paid to muct attention to them. So my knowledge is limited. I would like something about the same lenght as the FnD, around 12'-13'. I have read that some tandems paddle ok with 1 person and some don't. It would be used primarily with me and my son (age 8) for fishing the bay.

What are the more fishing friendly and stable tandems? Any personal opinons, pro/cons or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Punchdrunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
-scallywag-
Banned

I always liked the malibu2 pro because of the center "solo" seat and you can usually get them pretty cheap used....OEX also makes a cool bait tank that sits in the center hatch, just make sure there is a seal between the tank and the hatch, along with some way to strap the tank down incase you flip.

I now have the hobie outfitter, which is also very cool but costs alot more $$, plus if you weigh over 200lbs the hobie doen't peddle very well solo (slow and takes on water thru the rudder control holes) unless you have alot of weight in the front like a big bait tank, cooler exc.....but at least you could put the little guy to work peddling you out to your favorite spot!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
batty1of3

8 yr old perfect age for a tandem sounds make that boy earn his tackle paddle on young one
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
SGV Rookie

Tandem suggestion

I have a OK Malibu Two XL, My Girlfriend and I take it out in the bays and lakes and love it. I have had it in the bay with my two girls 12 and 8 plus me (250lbs) and did just fine. I have paddled it solo and it works great that way too. I think I bought it brand new at Sports chalet for 550.00 after 30 percent off sale, it list at 799.99
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I had the Odyssey for a while, paddled very nice and you could even use the center seat area.
Downside was lack of large hatches, no tank well, and no flat areas for mounting...but with a young 'un up front it paddled great and surfed beautifully.

Get one and get the lad out there...and then start saving up to buy him his own yak in a couple years.

Hopefully we will see a pic like this from ya soon...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Punchdrunk Monkey
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by batty1of3 View Post
8 yr old perfect age for a tandem sounds make that boy earn his tackle paddle on young one

HAHA, time to reap the reward of having a kid!! I can see it now........." hey son, when your done mowing the lawn we are going fishing! Yes you get to paddle me out to the kelp beds....again".

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming.
Punchdrunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Cobra's tandem Wilderness systems and Malibu all make a 13 foot tandem. They all are designed to some extent to be paddled solo from the center as well.

You can get creative with the tandem. with my daughter I turned the seat around for some rowboat style fishing.