Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Halol
Devildoc1mardiv

Turners at FHS Del Mar

So I put away some cash for the FHS Delmar. With all the hype about deals at the Turner's booth, I went straight there. With about a grand in my pocket for new fishing gear I began browsing through there reel section. After seeing something that interests me (Diawa Sealines and Seagates, AB Revo SX). I patiently waited for a sales rep to sell me on the reels. There were about 4 Turner's staff members behind the glass. For a good minute or so I could not get any of there attention. They were all joking and story telling amongst each other. So I finally asked the closest sales rep. He was a heavier set dude. When I asked him for help he appeared to act as If I was bothering him. I simply stated "Hello, I am looking to buy a few reels today. May I take a look at your Diawas?" He replied with why not check out the AVETs all the blems are sold out but I have brand new ones?" I know he was swaying me to buy an AVET because of the AVET rep standing next to him. I said "no thank you and prefer to look at the Diawas. I fish off a kayak and dont want to spend the money on an AVET. The Diawas seem to treat the yakanglers right.". The guy even had the audacity to put me down by telling the AVET rep there "Can you believe this guy? He says Diawas are Better than AVETs" They all start chuckling. After a few short moments of awkwardness another customer walks up looking at AVETs. The sales rep walked away and forgot about me. Nevertheless I was unable to check out the Diawas.

I thought customer service was about making the customer feel comfortable and being courteous.

Since I could not give my business to Turner's I finally came upon H&M Landing Tackle Shop. Before I stepped foot into their booth I was greeted by the Seeker Rep and was introduced to the H&M staff. I mentioned what I was looking for. Picked up a new Sealine 40 SHA for 100 bucks
Also picked up a Seagate 30 for 120. Also picked up 2 Seeker Pinheads for 115 each.

Now that was the confidence in buying I was looking for.

Still wanted to get the Revo. Could not find it at any booth. Turner's was the only place I was able to locate the reel. I really didnt want to go back to Turner's. But I knew If I went home w/o it I would not be able to sleep...LOL. So I sucked it up and headed back to Turner's. Saw the same bunch of sales reps. The Fat guy said hey he's back to look at the Diawa's. WTF? Really? what a duece this guy is. So I decide to be smart ass-ish back. And said "What the hell is your problem. You cant see the 2 Diawa boxes (Sealine and Seagate)." in the clear(semi) H&M bag in my hand?" That finally got his attention. I almost just walked away and get my Revo at another date elsewhere. But, I really wanted this reel...LOL I was almost OCD about it. So I told the guy I want to check out the Revo. He pulled it out of the glass and handed it to me. Since I did my research on this reel for a while with no questions asked I decided to buy it. I also asked him about the discount for mentioning Bloodydecks. I got the same look from him and he responded with a drawn out breath then said "I dont know what that is." Really? This again? The dude was rude as fuck (excuse my language). Im about to spend 160 plus tax on a reel and he's still being a dick? I walked away with no confidence in my purchase. I almost didnt want it anymore.

I might be over reacting or just heated still, But....Turner's you just lost my business.

Halol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Dennis

So, you bought the revo from them anyway? Why didn't you just go to Squidco? Customer service is always a priority there..
Old 03-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Best response is to just ask their name and then let them know that you did not appreciate their attitude and will be sending an e mail or writing a letter.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
dorado50

Had similar experience many years ago. Not only are they unprofessional most reps have no saltwater experience at all. Haven't been in a turners since. I am happy with my two new Penn Fathoms bought from another well qualified vendor can't wait to give them a go....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Best response is to just ask their name and then let them know that you did not appreciate their attitude and will be sending an e mail or writing a letter.

In this case, send the letter and just go with the fat guy. Stopped shopping there along time ago due to their weak selection in comparison to Longfin Tackle in the city of Orange.

What size Revo did you pick up?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Rambo

Dude that really sucks, I would've walked away and not give them my business no matter how good of deal they give. Thanks for sharing, I'll remember not to shop at Turner.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
jorluivil

Contact Turners and ask to speak the to their head honcho, if there's one thing that a company hates most is a bad review of their customer service. When you talk to him/her add to your complaint how much money you spent with their competitor and it will add insult to injury. These days businesses are hurting and doing everything to keep every customer they have and doing even more to win new ones, bad customer service is bad for business.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Deefeesha

I've never had good experiences with Turners for the exact same reason. Getting a sales rep. to help you out with reels behind the display case is very difficult it seems. Therefore, I only shop there in a pinch for terminal tackle.
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
hatchetman

I had a similar experience at their Kearny Mesa store when looking at a rifle that was on sale. The sales guy was big, overwieght, and had f---k you tattooed on his knucles, when I asked to look at the sale item he suggested another maker. I said no, I want the sale one, he walked away and I left.
I emailed their store manager and got a reply apologising and offering an additional discount on the rifle. Sending an email to the local store manager or to corporate will get you some saticfaction. I do not spend money at Turners unless it is a good sale price but I did notice that the idiot with the attitude was no longer working at Turners.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
BlueDeep
Catch & Release

I went to both FHS and I must say Turners was not the place to go for customer service. That's why I gave my business to Fisherman's Landing for my gear. Got great service and a good price.
BlueDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
xpresso2am

That just blows. Sorry you had a bad experience with them. Squidco! Enough said!
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Bennyblanco
Ironman

You should of came back with vengeance and talk shit,fuck turners unless they have a good sale.i won't even look their way.i hope some big shot looks at this blog. "TURNERS BAD CUSTUMER SERVICE".
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Drake

Stupid Rep, doesn't he know that the chances are every person he's selling something to, is more than likely on a forum where they can post their experience?

I wouldn't have bought it. I can understand your impatience. However, you did make him look bad in front of the AVET rep. He couldn't land the sale.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
T-Rex

Too bad you bought the Revo there. The Turners rod and reel guys are on commission.

The Seeker Pinheads seemed like a pretty good deal for the money.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
kobra

I had basically the same customer service this morning (Sunday) so I just left and bought my reel at a different vendor. Bought a bunch of miscellaneous tackle at other shops. Never went back to Turners and never will.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #16
Amish Ed

Definitely send an email with listing your complaint, your spending lots of money at their competitor, and include a link to this thread. They ought to know what asses they have working for them.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #17
Jimmyz123

Turners always seems to have that one corner there at the show in Del Mar, and like you I have never had good Customer Service from them, it doesn't get much better going to the stores either. Normally, I feel, their prices are way too high, and service isn't worth the time. Best way to feel better about that is take your new gear fishing and catch some fish with it.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #18
Yakin

I use to go to turners for many many years when I was younger i left for 6 years came back and they went from fishing to all about weapons yeah I like my guns but what about the fishing?! turners has lost my business already!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
I use to go to turners for many many years when I was younger i left for 6 years came back and they went from fishing to all about weapons yeah I like my guns but what about the fishing?! turners has lost my business already!
Same here, 21 or so years ago I had a great experience with them which ended up starting my adventures with Albacore and the long range boats. Went to them a lot then. These days I go in there and if you are not hainging out at the weapons counter you won't find any one to talk to. Thier selection of fishing gear has been trimmed tremendously too.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
Enceladus

I didn't know that there was anyplace better until I was turned onto the Longfin in Orange. The staff there is extremely helpful and knowledgable. I'm never going back to Turner's again. If I'm in a rush, I'll just go to Walmart and get the same degree of "service".

http://www.thelongfin.com/
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote