Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
jorluivil

Gear Storage

Now that I'm driving a Civic I need to figure out the best way to transport my gear to and from. How do you carry your gear?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Caffeind

Let the hooker out of the trunk...that should free up some space and the harbor water from your waders should mask the smell of her pretty good too.
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
ReelNasty

Where are you storing your rods at??
ReelNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
kobra

I use a large rubbermaid type container with a lid for everything pertaining to the kayak but the peddles and paddle. Keeps everything together and I don't forget anything. Tackle goes into my milk crate.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Let the hooker out of the trunk...that should free up some space and the harbor water from your waders should mask the smell of her pretty good too.
can't get rid of her....she love me long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelNasty View Post
Where are you storing your rods at??

The rear seat backs fold down so they go in through the trunk. On occasion I'll just lay the passenger seat down and lay them down on the front seat.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
sdfishin..alex
Banned

honda civic

i transport my revo on my vic w/out a roof rack i lay a blanket down first tho not the smartest idea but i live close to my fishing grounds...my rods i lay down in the front seat n put them threw the trunk...havent had any problems...it gets me on the water
sdfishin..alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
echo1er

When I had my Acura Integra I built a gypsy rack made out of PVC. So holds everything on top. But once the car took a poop on me. I broke the rack and made something else for it.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
taggermike

I imagine my car is bigger than yours but still not an SUV or any thing. I have most of my gear in a big rubbermade tub. This keeps the gear contained and keeps my car dry on the way home. If you have trouble getting your rods in your car they can go on the racks or strap flat on the top of your kayak. If space is super tight put the bulky or lighter items in the hatches of your kayak. Seat, PFD, paddleing clothes, even your rods and tackle will usually fit in the kayak. An advantage of a small car is they usually have a lower roof so you can lift a heavier yak up there or load the hatches once its up. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
sasha

what do you guys do about the salt water that drips on your kayak?? I would hate to have my new car starting to rust around the windows.. With my van its a min of two men to put it up and take it down. That thing must be around 7ft high. Its an old van so i wont worry as much what would happen in 4-5 years from now.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Laundry basket.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
dorado50

cardboard box works well for me. and I use cardboard shipping tubes to store the rods so they won't get scratched!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Baja_Traveler

Go to Home Depot and get a garden sprayer (hudson sprayer) - fill with fresh water before you leave, then spray the yak down before it goes on the roof. A 2 gallon sprayer holds more than enough to get the sand and salt off the yak. A trick that goes way back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
what do you guys do about the salt water that drips on your kayak?? I would hate to have my new car starting to rust around the windows.. With my van its a min of two men to put it up and take it down. That thing must be around 7ft high. Its an old van so i wont worry as much what would happen in 4-5 years from now.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
maui jim

Hey George.....get back in the truck....
Your making life and fishing more complicated.....
Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
How do you carry your gear?
Well, we don't travel light and we do have some gear...IRVINE KAYAK 2_2012 002.jpg

So, we just throw it in the back of the truck...IRVINE KAYAK 2_2012 006.jpg

You have to have a skilled crew to tie it down using the latest boyscout knots...IRVINE KAYAK 2_2012 014.jpg

and the important one, you must have a skilled crew handle the gear and kayaks and unload it for you...IRVINE KAYAK 2_2012 021.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
jorluivil

I'll drive my truck every so often but as of lately I've been driving my Civic. I did notice that when I was driving my truck I was taking everything but the kitchen sink with me, now I take what I need and mayyyybe a little extra.

I went to Home Depot yesterday and purchased a smaller tote, everything that I need fits in it perfectly with just a little room to spare. I browsed the PVC isle for some ideas and was considering strapping my rods to the rack but its probably more trouble than its worth, its just as easy to lay them down in the front seat.

I never really noticed how many guys transport their kayaks in compact cars until I started doing it. I guess since it wasn't something that I was doing I never really cared about it or payed attention to it. The cost of fuel isn't killing me but if I can travel to and from for half the cost why not, right? Besides, when I go to LJ I usually try to get around 3 guys to carpool in my truck, we all pitch in $20 for fuel and it gets us to and from with a little to spare.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

With enthusiastic helpers like mine, we found out the hard way that we needed to protect the rods from being stepped on, so we store them in a rod traveling case (its in the bed in one of the pictures). Now the rods survive the excursion!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
mtnbykr2

That's wierd, a kayak gear storage box, that was my rainy day project yesterday...plastic box fits everything, and fits in the back seat of my truck...I was thinkin about the Cat trip thought I would get a headstart
Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
StinkyMatt

Hey Bret, on the Cat trip you have to be able to haul ALL of your stuff including the kayak. That big container may or may not be the best bet.

Consider stuffing your crap in the yak and a backpack. Just an idea. I think that the Flyer charges extra for a big EXTRA luggage (container) like that.

Can't wait.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Hey Bret, on the Cat trip you have to be able to haul ALL of your stuff including the kayak. That big container may or may not be the best bet.

Consider stuffing your crap in the yak and a backpack. Just an idea. I think that the Flyer charges extra for a big EXTRA luggage (container) like that.

Can't wait.

If you need help stuffing your kayak until it looks like its going to burst contact wiredantz(frank)........he carries everything including the kitchen sink in his yak.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
mtnbykr2

Well at least I can cross off the kitchen sink, I will just use Franks...