Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
aguachico

Yo Ho's! What's the 411 on th NEW eXtreme.

After seeing Andy's video and reading about the "gator" hatch - I checked it out on the web. So save me a trip to the dealer and give up the info.

Does this new hatch keep water out better than the old?
Do waves HAMMER that design?
Is this hatch heavier than the old hatch?
Did Mailbu remove that screwy foam from the hull?
Did Malibu raise the bow angle?

Thanks
AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
MKNOTT

Whats up Art. The foam is gone. They added a few rutt's that run from bow to stern to substitute for the foam. Other than that nothing changed with the design as far as I can tell. With the rutts the boat doesn't turn sideways as fast as it used too and is alot more controlling on the way in.

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Art, the gator hatch has been an option for quite awhile. The underside is identical to the other hatch, so sealing it is the same. One difference is the straps are at 4 points instead of strapping across. You can pull all 4 point straps snug AFTER you have the hatch on which makes a good seal.

I don't notice a difference in launching through the surf. I mounted my FF on the jumpseat with a single screw that I can remove if I wanna take my daughter out on it. I like having the FF off the deck.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
kayak jack

What wrong with the foam on the extreme. Is there something I should know.
kayak jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Brian Sanner

I don't know if there is anything wrong with the foam other than it makes the Extreme heavier. Maybe the foam enables it to carry more of a payload
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
aguachico

Quote:
What wrong with the foam on the extreme. Is there something I should know.
The foam is fine, just not an industry standard. The foam was necessary because of the design. Hopefully the next release will address front hatch. The front hatch needs an upward curving inner ledge so the outer hatch can get a good seal.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
The foam is fine, just not an industry standard. The foam was necessary because of the design. Hopefully the next release will address front hatch. The front hatch needs an upward curving inner ledge so the outer hatch can get a good seal.
I did that myself (cut the hatch hole small and bent the lip up with a blow torch) on the new boat and it is working pretty well. New design definitely stays straighter in the surf.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
wavster

Does anyone know if OEX will be exhibiting at Fred Hall in Del Mar?

If so, do they typically have a show special?
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
steveooo

I'll let u know bout the new ex. Put a deposit on a hunter green one with kayatank with Brian at OEX. Super nice guy, hooking the yak up... I mostly did it so that I can avoid laughter from the regs of LJ from peddling past them in my Hobie Adventure. I know, I know, it is a peddle boat, not a kayak . Either way im gonna keep the Hobie as a 2nd and for the trip to catalina Im gonna try this summer. Mothership my ass. Really looking forward to the new boat
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
Does anyone know if OEX will be exhibiting at Fred Hall in Del Mar?

If so, do they typically have a show special?
Yes,yes.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
aguachico

Quote:
I did that myself (cut the hatch hole small and bent the lip up with a blow torch) on the new boat and it is working pretty well. New design definitely stays straighter in the surf.
nice job Brad. Too bad the new mold didn't have that design. Better luck in a few years. A little water in the hull never hurt no one.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Matt
Support your local pangas

New extreme

Gotta say that I absolutely love my new extreme with my brand new kayatank!! Brian does a great job of rigging them and Brent is great too.

Just ran to Lj this morning and the kayatank works unreal!! BUY ONE NOW!!!! This is my second extreme and the improvements to the hull design are great. As far as waterproofing the front hatch, I added two more buckles to the front straps so it has a 4 latch system and also ran some weather stripping around the exterior of the existing weather stripping and I now have a fairly dry boat! I think the channels definitely help with the surfing in on bigger days.

Matt F
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #13
aguachico

Thanks for the info Matt. Did you get you bait tank in the rear or front?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #14
Matt
Support your local pangas

bait tank

Liqour is up front, the tank is in the rear! Actually a little known fact is that of the kayatank keeping your beer nice and chilly too! just make sure to wash off the bottle before drinking if you have some macks chillin' too!! I don't like the idea of having the tank in the front hatch of the extreme as I kind of reach for bait alot and as I am larger than average young man it is a bit of a pain to do that, also having the tank in the rear hatch allows me to store all my rods relatively easily, including my 8' surface iron stick. If you would like me to post some pics of it please just ask as I didn't paddle out at LJ this morning and have them anyway. Hope this helps you some.

One other quick comment regarding the channels in the bottom, they seem to help the boat track a great deal straighter than the older one and they also seem to help in wind chop especially.
Matt

Last edited by Matt; 03-25-2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: one more comment needed
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
aguachico

Thanks for the info.

My eX is so old I bought it in Huntingbeach.

My eX's kayatank is a golden beta release

It's also in the rear. The rear is the best option because you can
use the entire yak without interference.