Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
dtownfan

GOOP vs 3M 5200

i am working on shaping the contour of the bottom of my wet mount transducer today. i have a 4 inch version of dsafety's wet mount and would like to know what you fellas think about stick'en her down. i have a 135 ride and must create a contour very similar to that of dgax65's wet mount on the "share your innovations" thread, rounded V pattern to match the center of the hull. after reading the specs on 3M 5200 i know when the wet mount is mounted......it is not going to move, maybe never. problem is i have only read about using goop and 3M 5200.....no experience.

what do you think? GOOP vs 3M 5200
dtownfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

the 5200, when cured, has characteristics more like caulk - it is flexible. The goop is more rigid, like a cured epoxy. That being said, the 5200 is slick & slimy & takes longer to cure. Viscosity-wise, I think the goop is more viscous & would be easier to work with for this application. Also I don't know about 5200 conductivity of the soundwaves. Since it is less stiff it may interfere with the pinging. I don't see 5200 being really good for "build up" type applications, so if you have a bigger gap to fill you may be better with goop. But if you are going to be seeing extreme temp swings you may be better with the flexibility of teh 5200.

I know, I did not give any answer & I'm far from a pro on these. But I have worked successfully with both
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
The goop is more rigid, like a cured epoxy.

I disagree. Goop is very flexible when cured. I think the Goop should be sufficient for this application, although I do think the 5200 would provide a stronger bond, as it is designed for through hull applications. There really isn't a lot of water pressure that will be going on where you are planning to use the product. With that in mind, I would prep the surface really well by scuffing it with a heavy grit sand paper and cleaning it with acetone or alcohol, and I would go with the Goop because of its great flexibilty when cured.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
prowlerdude

Ive used both and have been happy. The only drawback I had with the white 5200 I used was the mess. It was my first instalation and add the spaz factor... My beads were not up to par and it showed.
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlerdude View Post
Ive used both and have been happy. The only drawback I had with the white 5200 I used was the mess. It was my first instalation and add the spaz factor... My beads were not up to par and it showed.

Yeah 5200 is a pain. If you go this route wear gloves. trust me.

Both products work well but if you plan on using the sonar within a week or so I would go Goop as it cures faster. 5200 takes a long time to fully cure all the way through (even the fast cure stuff takes a while).

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
dtownfan

thanks for the info! i have a tube of marine GOOP here at the house and wanna give it a shot. i will post pics when i finisher her up. i spent the day making a home for the new yaks so i have not even started the contour carving for the wet mount. this weekend me make the trip to farmville va to get my 135 ride......went for one and picked up 2! i bought my wife a Tarpon 100 and a carbon manta ray paddle. when the wife is happy, i am happy'er!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Billy V

If you use the 3m 5200 do Not use alcohol to prep the area. It will prevent the 5200 from curing.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I would prep the surface really well by scuffing it with a heavy grit sand paper
Crucial! I don't bother with the acetone.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
dgax65
Guerro Grande

The 5200 worked very well on my transducer wet mount. I managed to get a relatively neat bead completely around the bottom of my mount without getting the sticky white crap all over things like I did in the past. I let it cure for about a week (it rained all week, so there was nothing to lose by waiting). As far as I could tell, the 5200 made a perfect seal with the hull. I had roughed up the hull with sandpaper and it adhered well. For this type of application I think that 5200 is superior.

BTW: While the 5200 worked great, I didn't get enough Goop on the side seams to get a really good seal. The second time out, I dropped the kayak getting it off the truck and I popped one of the seams. It wasn't a big leak, but my transducer was nearly uncovered by the time I got ready to launch. I had adequate sonar performance most of the time I was on the water, but my readings were a little spotty when I was rocking in the swells. I said when I started making the wet well that I would only give it one chance and would tear it out if it wasn't perfect. Well, it got two chances and I had to get rid of it. I could have tried Gooping all the seams again, but that would have been a pain in the ass with no guarantee of success. I was eager to get back out to fish the next day so I pulled the whole thing and went with a Goop-to-the-hull mount. Either I did a better Goop job that I've ever done before or I just selected a better location. The Goop mount is giving me very good readings. I was metering the canyon down to 583ft in 200khz. I'm not going to bother with a through hull until I have to replace my head unit (Lowrance LMS 527C DG iGPS). That unit is no longer in production and the best price I can get for a compatible thru-hull is $394.
http://www.lei-extras.com/store/sear...ProdNum=106-79
If I move up to a Lowrance HDS FF I'll spend the money for a thru-hull.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
dtownfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
The 5200 worked very well on my transducer wet mount. I managed to get a relatively neat bead completely around the bottom of my mount without getting the sticky white crap all over things like I did in the past. I let it cure for about a week (it rained all week, so there was nothing to lose by waiting). As far as I could tell, the 5200 made a perfect seal with the hull. I had roughed up the hull with sandpaper and it adhered well. For this type of application I think that 5200 is superior.

BTW: While the 5200 worked great, I didn't get enough Goop on the side seams to get a really good seal. The second time out, I dropped the kayak getting it off the truck and I popped one of the seams. It wasn't a big leak, but my transducer was nearly uncovered by the time I got ready to launch. I had adequate sonar performance most of the time I was on the water, but my readings were a little spotty when I was rocking in the swells. I said when I started making the wet well that I would only give it one chance and would tear it out if it wasn't perfect. Well, it got two chances and I had to get rid of it. I could have tried Gooping all the seams again, but that would have been a pain in the ass with no guarantee of success. I was eager to get back out to fish the next day so I pulled the whole thing and went with a Goop-to-the-hull mount. Either I did a better Goop job that I've ever done before or I just selected a better location. The Goop mount is giving me very good readings. I was metering the canyon down to 583ft in 200khz. I'm not going to bother with a through hull until I have to replace my head unit (Lowrance LMS 527C DG iGPS). That unit is no longer in production and the best price I can get for a compatible thru-hull is $394.
http://www.lei-extras.com/store/sear...ProdNum=106-79
If I move up to a Lowrance HDS FF I'll spend the money for a thru-hull.
where i am mounting this beast will give me very limited space to work with. i was thinking about marking the location with a sharpie, after the space is "ruffed-up," and then applying a bead on the bottom of the mount and one on the traced ring on the hull. then squashin her, carefully that is, into place. take the finger around the inside and outside edges to smooth up and be done.

i wanna use GOOP cause i have it ready to go...............but after putting this thing together, all the research, careful planning, money invested, and such i would wait an extra week for first trip if need be. decisions......

i added a couple of pics from the kitchen.....i went with a mount area right behind me. i know everyone says that in front is what you are coming up to but i have a hatch behind the seat and have fished with a rear boat transducer since i was knee high to a grass hopper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3537.jpg (61.1 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3521.jpg (74.5 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3525.jpg (63.9 KB, 160 views)
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
steveooo

I'm not sure I could deal with the two tiny dogs, but congrats on finding a girl that doesn't seem to mind having 2 yaks in the living room
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
dtownfan

here are a couple of picks of the mount.............

GOOP or 3M 5200 (4 inch dia)

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3554.jpg (59.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3555.jpg (48.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
dtownfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
I'm not sure I could deal with the two tiny dogs, but congrats on finding a girl that doesn't seem to mind having 2 yaks in the living room
after growing up on almost a 1,000 acres and spending every moment outside with a lab, springer, or beagle i never would have pictured havin 2 little dogs. copper and cody are yorkie mixes. cooper is a yorkie / bichon and cody is yorkie / poodle. no shedding - fit in a canoe - and wake you up at 6:00 no matter what day of the week it is!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I wouldn't remove the excess Goop. It is more viscous than the 5200 so it will tend to run a bit. The more area it is bonded to, the better the mechanical strength of the whole installation. I know you want it to look nice, but who is going to see it? Just my $.02
Old 03-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Goop is easiest, I use the same FF/GPS in boat, and kayak, and get similar readings. (boat puck is transom mount in water)

I just scraped my puck off my kayak last night to install in a different kayak. It looks like this, and I still got accurate water temps, depth, bait balls, and unmistakable YT arcs. FWIW, this puck had been in my kayak 9 months.

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
dtownfan

so i stopped by the home depot and found fast cure 3m 5200. i bought a 3 oz. tube for 7 bucks and pulled the trigger. i had the contour of the wet mount very close to the shape of the hull so there were very small gaps to fill. all your posts helped....THANKS....gloves are key (never touch this stuff with out them)! looks good so far.

how long should i wait? applied tuesday 6:30 p.m.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
dtownfan

took the kayak walleye fishing today. max depth of the lake i hit today was 25 feet. the wet mount work very well. no leaks, awesome readings (i know ya'll fish much deeper), could track a small jig, and the temp came around after awhile too. i would love to show pics of walleye......but got skunked. started the morning at 35 degrees and got to 52sih. had a blast though! the 135 ride is perfect for me. just wanted to say thanx for all the friendly info. and advice.26567_1323279236645_1070774770_979156_372908_n.jpg