Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Humminbird now sells a transducer mount kit

I got an email today from Humminbird announcing a new transducer mounting kit from Humminbird designed specifically for kayaks. They even have an installation video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLDIWtCI-sc

Here is the link to the info page where you can also see the new powered kayak from Ocean. http://shopatron.bm23.com/public/?q=...xvwcmomizjhbbc

The "specially designed grease" shown in the video interests me. I wonder if there is anything special about it? H-Bird wants about $30 for this kit. Seems a little high to me but if it works better than all the things we have been trying, maybe it is worth it.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
jorluivil

The grease definately caught my attention.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
dtownfan

they have had this for a while. actually picked up one, but when i chose the 2010, 135 ride i couldn't use it as the bottom contour did not have a good location (ie.flat spot). i played around with it a bit and opened the grease package to check it out. the stuff is blue. i thought i had asked on the forum about people using grease in their wet wells. i wonder how it would work.
dtownfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Rob929

Very interesting.. thanks for sharing Bob. I wonder how reliable the double stick tape is along with that primer. Also, how stable the grease is when it gets warm. When we store and transport our yaks upside down- with the bottom of the hull in the sun... Im wondering if the grease would leak out when it heats up and thins.

Humminbird should off this kit as an option with their units. That would make it even more attractive to the kayaking community.

A+ for simplicity though.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The potential issue of the grease liquefying in the heat and draining away while the yak is being transported or stored is a big one. Anyone have any experience with this?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
dtownfan

any of you fellas wanna try my kit out? i have everything but the grease packet. in the directions it states that if you remove the kit additional marine-grease will be needed and you can contact the customer resource center at www.hummingbird.com or call 1-800-633-1468 for more information. so if anyone promises to post on the experience of the install and sonar readings its yours. i will even ship it to you this weekend.

it is gonna sit at my place and wish it had a home.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
dtownfan

free and no takers? tough crowd. it was never used. just couldn't help but open the grease and look at the stuff.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I would take you up on it but the way the mount is designed, it needs a flat surface. My x-factor has a dip in the center from the keel. I'm working on a wet mount.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
davedkins
Junior

Anyone try this out? If you still have the mount I'll try it. I have a hobie outback and a humminbird 345c
davedkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Billy V

I have no doubt that the tape will stick well, and stay put.
I use velcro tape inside my kayak to hold the battery box in place and it has never moved in many years of doing this, even when transporting the kayak upside down on the truck racks, or storing it upside down (with battery box attached) in my garage.

The Grease is another story - I have never seen a grease product that would remain completely solid, and intact when subjected to heat.
-I would call hummingbird and ask them about this special grease they are using. Ask if it will leak out when inverted and subjected to the suns heat.

On another note - grease in general will give you a very good picture. So will Vaseline.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
dtownfan

i sent the mount to dsafety. he is gonna post his experience to share.