Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
jlabs63

Fishing Locations for Young Kids

Hey all,

I am looking to take my 5 year old daughter fishing and I was hoping to get some location suggestions. Jeff B. told me about Tidelands, but I was wondering if there are other suggestions? Im taking her out in my 12' RIB, so I can pretty much launch it anywhere you can launch a kayak.

I have 3 girls, so I need to get them hooked of fishing for me to have any chance at sanity over the next 10 years. Basically I need a spot that's a lock to catch something.

Thanks!
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
crashcrow

Under the Coronado bridge with small plastics will get lots of spotties and an occasional Halibut (caught my first halibut from shore where the ferry landing is now). SD Bay bait barge area spotties, sculipn, halibut, macs, etc. I usually hand the little ones a sabiki rig with 3 hooks and let them go crazy catching bait fish. Sometimes I head into the back bay and fish top water for shortfin corvina, i've caught a few good ones by the bridge as well but multiple treble hooks and top water is usually not a good idea for littles.
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I would suggest anywhere you catch a lot of fish yourself. Otherwise, you will be wandering around, increasing the risk of catching nothing when the important moment arrives. Doing your homework (meaning on the water) in advance will increase odds for your daughter. Find your own hot spots first. Except for rare occasions, fishing is no longer as easy as simply dropping a hook in the water.

Technique and personal experience takes precedence over a random list of locations, which can be almost anywhere. Also, if such a predictable fishing gold mine existed, then there would be so many boats fishing there that the supply of fish would be quickly exhausted in favor of other less known places.

What about taking her to pump ghost shrimp in Mariner's Basin at low tide? That can be fun and predictable.

Or find someone who YOU KNOW catches fish every time they go out to accompany you as a guide? The guide can set you up with the right gear for the right place and put you on the fish, then you can focus on helping your daughter. Is she ready to cast and retrieve, or do you simply want to drop a baited hook and wait?

During the cooler winter months, trout fishing can be fun for a 5 year old at a place they fill with Whitewater and DFG farm fish on a regular basis. Cast PowerBait out on a 2# test line Carolina rig and wait for the action. Baked trout mixed with mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish makes great "tunafish" sandwiches.

Santee Lakes has pumped a lot of fish. Lake Murray has been good in the past, but it depends on how much the lake managers want to spend on fish plants. Both places are beautiful, fun, safe for children and nice picnic areas.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 07-14-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
Druko

I would also bring Berkley gulp grubs in red, glow or nuclear chicken.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Sheephead

Wait for the middle of a moon phase.

Buy 3 bags of salted anchovies.

Go to the bait barge in SD bay or Mission bay (SD bay is better).

Anchor near / tie onto the barge and start chumming kid pinky size chunks. you want to throw out 2 anchovies worth every 30 seconds at first then decrease to 1 every minute (especially important once you start catching them)

Get a carolina rig with 1/4-1/2oz weight and catch infinite mackerel. Use a de-hooker tool to speed up the releases and keep them in the non-stop action.

Put a 2nd line down with cut mackerel or whole chovies to get that variety to spice it up and keep it exciting.

Put cut mackerel strips on asap so you don't have to re-bait their hook every 3 sec.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
PapaDave

If you were near to Dana Point and wanted to catch a bunch of fish, go behind the bait receivers, cut up some dead anchovies or sardines and toss some for chum. Tie a small hook on with a split shot, bait it with a piece of the chum and toss it out.

Species to expect would be queen fish, croaker, mackerel, small barracuda and an occasional small WSB.

Took my grandson out on the boat, didn't even get a bite outside. anchored up behind the receiver and he caught a LOT of fish. Had a blast.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
jlabs63

Thanks fellas; I really appreciate the suggestions. I get it about time on the water, but I can only get out a few times a month and I always fish La Jolla and have never really fished the bay.

Where is the best place to launch in San Diego Bay (i.e. closest to the bait barge?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
Phishphood

probably shelter island ramp. Just heads up if you're using the ramp (not the beach) that it's down to 1 lane so there can be a long line sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
jlabs63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post
probably shelter island ramp. Just heads up if you're using the ramp (not the beach) that it's down to 1 lane so there can be a long line sometimes.

Thanks. Can you access the beach launch without waiting in the boat ramp line?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #10
Mahigeer

Lots of action for kids at the Mole in Avalon, Catalina.

You can get a free round trip on anybody's birthday in the family.

Sort of two for one now this year.

It is a trip from SD, via boats at Dana Point.

On August 12 there is a kid's Derby at Shelter Island. Free tackle, bait to use, food, etc. Everybody gets something.

Let me know if you need more information.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
forgivenick
Junior

http://www.sportfishing.org/kidstourney_17.html

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
forgivenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
summers in kuwait

Tidelands is very easy and doable with kids.
Mariners Cove is a nice little spot in MB.

These spots have parking, but can get packed later in the day. Close and easy access to the launch and can produce fish.

You could also go pump out ghost shrimp and then use them for bait.
Or the sand crabs are thick right now along the beaches.

Fresh water is great as well. Get the kids on some bluegill/sunfish.

Lots of options.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Yes, can you use the beach to launch at shelter island. It's to the right of the ramp.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
kirkdavis

Or the dock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post

During lobster season I wheel my yak down the dock at the Shelter Island launch, slide it into the water and climb in. About the only place I've launched without getting wet feet. Land the same way. Tried that at Dana Landing once, the kayak won't make it around the bend on the ramp. My outback rudder got snagged between the rails. Had a heck of a time getting it back out. I use the ramps, but they are hard on the keel of the yak.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #15
fourtogo

Young kids

I like Squid Strips on 3/8 lead , or hook with split shots . You should get like five pieces out one frozen Squid . Put them in a tupper-wear container the night before
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote