Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
crashcrow

Personal Best Kayak Rockfish LJ 8-7

Skipped work, launched late, good size bait was hard to find, fly lined a larger mac for a bit and then decided to head outside and see what the half day boat was on top of and get some new rock fish numbers for my GPS. Got this one on a Megabaits blue green jig. Ended up with 4 reds and headed back to work.
Attached Images

crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Nice Red!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
jlabs63

Nice reds. I love those little fellas.

It looks like you were pretty far out; how deep?
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Nice reds. I love those little fellas.

It looks like you were pretty far out; how deep?
I'm gonna guess he was in 160'
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
FISH11

I think I saw you going out from the bait area. After getting a few (8) Macs a Bonito and one extra large greenback, I pined on the greenback and he started going west then a little north then west. I was going out in the same direction as you and just letting the Mac take me to what I was hoping would be some larger bait balls and Yellows. I went as for as 165 feet and saw you kept going in the direction of the New Seaforth. I went out to mark his spot just like you did but on Saturday. So I didn't need to go that far yesterday and besides the only good marks I had seen were in shallower water 55'-70', so after drifting back in I stayed in the marks zone. I still never got a bite and my friend I was fishing with part of the day had a hook up but quick break off, provably a shark. At least it was nice to load up on bait that had been near impossible to find the last 2 1/2 weeks. I was hoping finding bait would allow me to drift more and pedal to Revo less, but the strong current and wind made me pedal almost as much as I had done on Saturday. Going against the current and wind from 40' back to 80' would take at least 1/2 hour when pedaling at a normal pace and the drift back in took less than 10 minutes. If you didn't pedal a little harder you just stayed in place, it was like being on a treadmill. Congrats on the nice rock fish.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
PapaDave

Nice Vermilion... I like catching those.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
I'm gonna guess he was in 160'
This guy was in about 220feet of water. I was drifting 240-200 and back.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I think I saw you going out from the bait area. After getting a few (8) Macs a Bonito and one extra large greenback, I pined on the greenback and he started going west then a little north then west. I was going out in the same direction as you and just letting the Mac take me to what I was hoping would be some larger bait balls and Yellows. I went as for as 165 feet and saw you kept going in the direction of the New Seaforth. I went out to mark his spot just like you did but on Saturday. So I didn't need to go that far yesterday and besides the only good marks I had seen were in shallower water 55'-70', so after drifting back in I stayed in the marks zone. I still never got a bite and my friend I was fishing with part of the day had a hook up but quick break off, provably a shark. At least it was nice to load up on bait that had been near impossible to find the last 2 1/2 weeks. I was hoping finding bait would allow me to drift more and pedal to Revo less, but the strong current and wind made me pedal almost as much as I had done on Saturday. Going against the current and wind from 40' back to 80' would take at least 1/2 hour when pedaling at a normal pace and the drift back in took less than 10 minutes. If you didn't pedal a little harder you just stayed in place, it was like being on a treadmill. Congrats on the nice rock fish.
Current was pretty strong, I was wishing I had brought heavier jigs that day. New Seaforth was on a great spot.