Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
MH150
Junior

Newbie question; Malibu or Ocean Kayak or ??

Hi there. I’m Mike. New here, but been fishing my whole life including quite a few years chasing bass in various tournaments. For many reasons, life got in the way and I sold my Basscat and pretty much stopped fishing. (10 + years ago) Been getting back in the water a bit and after a few recreational outings on kayaks I’ve discovered I really enjoy the sport. This will be a much easier path for me right. Or over another boat.

I’ve been looking at both new and used options and have learned some things but would appreciate any thoughts to get me started in the right direction. My plan now is that this will primarily be for freshwater use. Silverwood, Perris, some San Diego lakes, Puddingstone, Big Bear, Maybe our to the river now and then. There is a slight chance I will take it to some local bays/marinas. I will transport with my F150 and Tracrac.

For me, I’m not the smallest. 6’3” or so, pushing 300. Weight pretty evenly distributed. People tell me they are surprised to hear the number. In my 50s, so I’m facing the reality of some limits but I’m not dead. Prefer to find a really solid value and not spend a ton of money to get started. I’m sure everyone thinks that and it’s just like a boat; it never ends. I’ll carry 2 or 3 rods, net, etc. And will add a fish finder/ GPS.

I’ve found a Good deal on a Malibu xfactor with the xseat via private party. He says it’s never been used. 2017 model. I also found a good price on a Pcean Kayak big rig 2. New demo mode. Any thoughts on either would be appreciated.

I’m open to hearing any and all thoughts, and am grateful for any knowledge you can share. The Hobie Pro Anglers are awesome looking machines but I think out of budget right now. The wife acceptance factor has to be considered too.

Thanks in advance!
MH150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:54 AM   #2
tak100
Recruit

Did you see this in the Buy, Sell or Trade forum?

If you don't mind paddling with your arms this is a nice starter rig. Notice why he is selling though (" I’m selling is to upgrade to a pedal platform.")

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=32587

This is a Hobie Outback for 1600:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...546935756.html

This is a Hobie PA14 for 2100:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...568472330.html

If you don't have a back problem you can find older Outbacks for as low as 1100 (what I paid last June for mine). I then spent $400 adding a fish finder and other accessories. I go about 260 and it supports me just fine. The older models are much cheaper because they have the old soft seat. If you widen your search area on craigslist (make sure it includes LA and SD) and have some patience deals crop up but they go fast.

Best of luck and welcome to the club.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
Amish Ed

I too would recommend a Ride 135. I'm 6'2" 325lbs and love my Ride.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
MH150
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Did you see this in the Buy, Sell or Trade forum?

(snip)

If you don't have a back problem you can find older Outbacks for as low as 1100 (what I paid last June for mine). I then spent $400 adding a fish finder and other accessories. I go about 260 and it supports me just fine. The older models are much cheaper because they have the old soft seat. If you widen your search area on craigslist (make sure it includes LA and SD) and have some patience deals crop up but they go fast.

Best of luck and welcome to the club.
Thanks for the welcome and the great feedback. I really do like the idea of a pedal rig, but there are a couple things that make me hesitant. Firstly, I want to use the rack I have. Those pedal rigs are pretty heavy, and while I’m sure many can do it lifting 100 pounds or more several feet in the air doesn’t sound like fun. As a comparison, the Ocean Kayak Big Rig cam in closer to 60 pounds. That sounds more manageable. I can certainly appreciate the value of more efficiently getting from point a to b, as well as the control at other times and having hands open.

Budget also plays a part. Not sure. Can get the boss to see the value in me spending a couple thousand to get started. That’s double what I’ve been looking at. I also want to make sure I’m not one of those who jump in and it never gets used. I don’t see that happening but who knows. Maybe the pedal units are better resale?

I’ll look at those options you called out. Maybe something makes sense. The used (but new) Malibu was 700, the new Big Rig is $1079. I was going to grab a x13 for 250, but it’s huge and reviews didn’t sound like it’s a stable unit.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
MH150
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
I too would recommend a Ride 135. I'm 6'2" 325lbs and love my Ride.
Thank you. I will take a look.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Just explain to the boss that by time you upgrade your way through 4 kayaks to end up at the Hobie, you will have saved double the cost by just going straight to the Hobie in the first place
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
MH150
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Just explain to the boss that by time you upgrade your way through 4 kayaks to end up at the Hobie, you will have saved double the cost by just going straight to the Hobie in the first place
Well, there is that. Sometimes it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Regarding the Hobie, or any other heavy model. How do you get it loaded up on a rack? My back does give me fits at times so I can’t see picking it up that high.

Also, above it was mentioned “unless you have a bad back” regarding the Hobie. Is that due to the weight or something else?
Old 04-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
ProfessorLongArms

One thing I’d recommend is avoiding a padded seat on the kayak... get something with a raised seat like in that xfactor.
I’m pretty young, and I’m barely good for a few hours sitting direct on the kayak. Wet seat, numb ass, sore back.

That was my number one reason for upgrading, and why I went new on a hobie rather than used.

Pedal is nice but it’s a convenience more than necessity.

I’ll say that my hobie outback at 80lbs empty is a bear to wrestle with solo.
The compass looks interesting as something about 10lbs lighter and just as stable.

But yeah... if you’re going freshwater, an even lighter kayak may do you well.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

I'd bite the bullet and go with a PA 14 if I were you. Yes you will pay more at first, but at least you won't have to buy 2 or even 3 kayaks as you work your way up to the PA. Once you figure out how to move it around and how to load and unload, it will be a breeze. There are many guys here over the years that would never even considered buying a Hobie let alone a PA...only to end up with one anyway. So my advice is to just do it!

Go see Andy over at OEX!
Old 04-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Hunters Pa

I used to put my PA on top of my GMC Envoy. Luckily it was one with a retractable roof so it was a bit easier, but still a beast for 150# 5'11" of me to put up there after a full day on the water. I made bunks out of carpeted 2x4s which helped immensely, but it is still a bear to slide up there. Like many I bought an old jetski trailer which I now use. Downside of that is storage and being limited on which lanes you can use on the freeway. I do like having the lockable box to keep most of the gear in, though.

Tradeoffs.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH150 View Post
Hi there. I’m Mike. New here, but been fishing my whole life including quite a few years chasing bass in various tournaments. For many reasons, life got in the way and I sold my Basscat and pretty much stopped fishing. (10 + years ago) Been getting back in the water a bit and after a few recreational outings on kayaks I’ve discovered I really enjoy the sport. This will be a much easier path for me right. Or over another boat.

I’ve been looking at both new and used options and have learned some things but would appreciate any thoughts to get me started in the right direction. My plan now is that this will primarily be for freshwater use. Silverwood, Perris, some San Diego lakes, Puddingstone, Big Bear, Maybe our to the river now and then. There is a slight chance I will take it to some local bays/marinas. I will transport with my F150 and Tracrac.

For me, I’m not the smallest. 6’3” or so, pushing 300. Weight pretty evenly distributed. People tell me they are surprised to hear the number. In my 50s, so I’m facing the reality of some limits but I’m not dead. Prefer to find a really solid value and not spend a ton of money to get started. I’m sure everyone thinks that and it’s just like a boat; it never ends. I’ll carry 2 or 3 rods, net, etc. And will add a fish finder/ GPS.

I’ve found a Good deal on a Malibu xfactor with the xseat via private party. He says it’s never been used. 2017 model. I also found a good price on a Pcean Kayak big rig 2. New demo mode. Any thoughts on either would be appreciated.

I’m open to hearing any and all thoughts, and am grateful for any knowledge you can share. The Hobie Pro Anglers are awesome looking machines but I think out of budget right now. The wife acceptance factor has to be considered too.

Thanks in advance!
Malibu Kayaks has a "Blems" sale at their Paramount dist. warehouse in late summer. You'll have to ask around the specific date. Also Sunset Beach Oex has a Demo Days" with Hobie's, Jackson , and Native Watercraft on disply and free to use. Good Luck
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #12
Big John
Junior

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I had a Malibu and it took in a lot of water through the front hatch. I’m your size and I switched to a Cobra fish n dive, 600 lb limit and super stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

Malibu xfactor

I bought my xfactor blem last year and have had a blast with it. Water does come through the hatch and paddling this 80lb 14’ kayak takes its toll. Rod holders are in bad location in my mind, and if you want the x wing it prevents use of storage boxes. If I had it to do over I would spend more and get a peddle drive, or at least a lighter more fisherman friendly kayak. I’ve made it work for me and have done a lot of diy upgrades so I won’t be trading up anytime soon.
Biggest salmon -37lbs, lingcod 35”, rainbow trout 23”, brook trout 13”, White Sea bass 33”, bottom fish 23", largemouth 17”, calico 17”, striped sand bass 20”, halibut 23”, sheepshead 16”, cabezon 20.5”, steelhead 25”, red ear 10.5, bluegill 10.5....

Beachestobackroads.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmblH3XWON8qXKSNltF2cHw
SoCalCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #14
tak100
Recruit

Also, above it was mentioned “unless you have a bad back” regarding the Hobie. Is that due to the weight or something else?[/QUOTE]

This was reference to the two styles of seats that kayaks have. The older hobies and many other kayaks have a soft seat and the support for your back are straps. Newer Outbacks and PA's have a lawn chair style seat which provides much better back support.

Note if you want to fish salt water a sit-on-top is the way to go. If you want to fish fresh water many of the local lakes will only allow sit-in kayaks. So make sure make an informed decision based on where you want to fish.

Better to do some research and buy once then go through several upgrades. The hobies do have much better resale value in my limited experience.

Best of luck.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #15
MH150
Junior

Thank you all for the great tips and advice. I’m going to dig a bit more and try not to jump into something too fast.

As a side note, your comments about the Malibu’s leaking are something I’ve read several times. That is not encouraging at all.

Would love to hear any more thoughts or tips. Keep them coming!

-M
Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #16
MH150
Junior

Quote:
If you want to fish fresh water many of the local lakes will only allow sit-in kayaks. So make sure make an informed decision based on where you want to fish.
In my limited research, I found that Diamond Valley does not allow sit on top. I need to dig deeper on this point for sure.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
I bought 2 last year and still ended up buying a pa12 with Fred Hall deals because of this simple reason. After 2 day weekend fishing binges I could not get out of bed on Monday due to soreness/tightness. My "economical" cheaper kayaks just are not comfortable enough and I don't even have back problems. So it was a no brainer to upgrade, I enjoy my day more hands free, pain free, and I'm able do more without the needed recovery time.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #18
Big John
Junior

Quote:
Thank you all for the great tips and advice. I’m going to dig a bit more and try not to jump into something too fast.

As a side note, your comments about the Malibu’s leaking are something I’ve read several times. That is not encouraging at all.

Would love to hear any more thoughts or tips. Keep them coming!

-M

They are really comfortable as of most, leak was my only negative. Whatever yak you decide to get, a high back seat is the secret to comfort and back soreness! Hit me up if you ever want to go out and do some fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote