Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Fishin the kelp with swimbaits

Can I get some advice when it comes to using swimbaits in the kelp? Seems like every cast is yealding a 100# stringer of kelp. Do I fish the outskirts of a dense stretch of forest? Find a big hole and drop into it yo-yo style? I know this is the noobish of the noob of questions but im getting frustrated and lossing alot of jig heads in the proceess. Or is that just all part of the game?

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Dave k

It all depends on the conditions. I like to use the warbaits slayer weedless heads. A little more expensive but I almost never lose them. Throw them through open lanes in the kelp, retrieving with the current as the bass usually face into the current. You can also just drop or pitch the bait into small holes ahead of you and fish vertically. Be ready to throw it in gear and swing though since you'll get lots of bites on the sink. If you want to work the edges stick with the upcurrent side. Sit on top of the kelp and cast out. Let it sink till you can feel it in the kelp and start a retrieve trying to keep the bait a few feet above the kelp stalks.

Hope this helps and sorry if there are some spelling or grammar errors as I'm doing this from my phone.

Dave
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
echo1er

I know how you feel brada. I use a weedless Jig head. To me since I'm a noob in the kelp bed as well. Its a hit or miss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weedless_jig_head_152.jpg (54.4 KB, 309 views)
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Someone in another post mentioned the three coveted species. For me in the South East it's Bonefish, Tarpon, and the "best" Permit. Spanish Macks and Sea Trout are the daily fish. In the Northeast it's Stripers, Blue Fin, and Flounder. What do you guys fish for on the West Coast? Curious? What's the big three species out there?

Tony
Salt Water Flies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Flies View Post
Someone in another post mentioned the three coveted species. For me in the South East it's Bonefish, Tarpon, and the "best" Permit. Spanish Macks and Sea Trout are the daily fish. In the Northeast it's Stripers, Blue Fin, and Flounder. What do you guys fish for on the West Coast? Curious? What's the big three species out there?

Tony
The 3 "coveted" species are yellowtail, white seabass and halibut. Other common sport fish we catch are thresher shark and are delishious. Salt water bass are barred sand bass, calico bass and spotted bay bass. The white seabass I believw are actually from the croaker family. But dont quote me on that. Spanish macs pacific macs and a number of fin baits are common out here

Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Amish Ed

I definitely like the Slayer heads too. But, in the kelp I find myself throwing more jerkbaits on Sledheads, or with just a weedless hook.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
diehardfisher
Junior

Send a message via ICQ to diehardfisher
I never really use weedless heads, I typically just find the densest kelp possible and drop vertically through whatever hole I can get in through, preferably in front of my drift direction. You will get hit on the drop occasionally when it just stops, or if i make it to the bottom I jig it a couple times then as I am drifting past the hole I retrieve vertically through the hole.

If you get hung up on the retrieve don't horse on it and pull really hard just drop it a couple inches and give it another little pull up, usually releases on the first or second tug. My personal favorite method of bass fishing.
diehardfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Looks like im gonna be picking up some weedless jigheads. Thanks for all your suggestions especially about the current. I always forget to be mindful of the current flow when im throwing at structure or cover.