Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Rotten Chum
Does it Really Matter

Waders or Dry Pants or top

New to Ocean Kayaking…actually kayaking in general. My B’day present to myself was a kayak as I have always wanted one. So to pose a question to all What kind and/or brand of waders or kayak fishing clothing would anyone recommend I get hot easily and I don’t want to fill my clothes up with sweat just getting through the surf. Any and all suggestions are helpful. This will be my first of many posts with questions to those who know more than I. Thank you all in advance for your help in this.
Rotten Chum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

welcome to the addiction,
Imo, you need waders for surf launches and landings, colder weather, which I don't think you will need to worry about for a few months now, you will want to find waders with a front zipper, for you know what, and easier exit and entry. I have Simms waders but I am looking to replace them with a zipper in front. A dry top comes in handy for drizzly mornings and colder weather.
As far as dry pants try a few on, I haven't found anything better than some quality zip-offs you stay fairly dry and you can peel off the bottom half when hot...
Old 06-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Rotten Chum
Does it Really Matter

Thanks Mtn...Front zip Good Idea. Was in the mind set of not sweating to death and not a creature comfort (zipper) for natural acts. The dry pants and tops are kind of pricey.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
danjor

Waders lol i kayak year around in a tee shirt and swim trunks for 2 years. Just recently got some dry pants. Dry pants are nice but not allways needed in my opinion. But than again i dont mind being a little wet and so cal doesnt really get cold except a dozen days a year.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
DanaPT

waders are more than warmth. . .

They prevent swamp A$$! no fun being wet all day. They will also keep your legs out of the sun, which can be brutal.

I'd be curious what people do to hide from the sun (beside the glasses, hat & buff). The more I kayak, the more I dislike the sun.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
They prevent swamp A$$! no fun being wet all day. They will also keep your legs out of the sun, which can be brutal.

I'd be curious what people do to hide from the sun (beside the glasses, hat & buff). The more I kayak, the more I dislike the sun.

The sun is why i got the dry pants. Dont norm worry about swamp since my trident 1515 is norm sry but i guess that depends on the kayak lol.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
mtnbykr2

I agree with the shorts and Tshirt thing, but
there have been many a bloody mess in my lap, specially with the flat kind, that I was glad I had them on, but nothin beats a nice day on the water with just board shorts and a shirt, I guess to each his own, till you take a big one over the bow, during a rough surf launch, at grey light, bbbrrrr!!!
I have both dry pants and waders, and dry top, and shorts and shirts....lol I
guess it all depends on the weather huh... oh yeah I don't care for "swamp a$$" either...lol
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
echo1er

just wear wind breakers.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
smithers

Depends

It really does depend where you launch and when.

I started the hobby just this spring (so no winter fishing yet) but I'll be getting either a farmer john wetsuit or some dry pants as my next purchase.

Got a hobie so my butt is basically wet all day.
The beaches where I launch are not as calm as LJ shores. I launch with mirage drive in, so I wade out a bit and might take a breaker that could swamp them.

I also wiped out at least once either launching or landing on each of my first three outings. (No practice; straight to fishing lol). My technique has improved a lot since then, but I still wouldn't ever put on waders for kayaking. I've swamped them while surf fishing and that's the last thing I'd want to deal with during a launch gone bad.

Right now I launch with some gay stretchy shorts that were sold as some kind of triathalete rashguard. Once I get out I put on my fishworks pants for sun protection and a bit of warmth. "swampbut" lol handn't heard that, but it's the main reason I want some dry pants.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #10
Rotten Chum
Does it Really Matter

Swamp A$$...has now been added to Kayak Vocab !!!

Thanks for all the input. I normally fish in shorts, tank and tevas.

Tags
clothing, kayak apperal, waders