Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
BrokeLoser

Anyone use this type of lubricant....

on your yak ofcourse.....you dirt bag!
I can't find the silicone spray I've been using for years anywhere so I'm thinking about trying this.
It says recommended for rubber and plastic on the can. Just wondered if any of you have any experience with it before I go coating my ride with it.
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Drake

I don't really see a need for it. I don't think it's going to provide you any special type of protection and I wouldn't expect it to last very long anyway. It would be good to use on moving parts, such as rudders and mirage drives, as well as the clips inside of your paddle, but "coating" your kayak is not advised.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I don't really see a need for it. I don't think it's going to provide you any special type of protection and I wouldn't expect it to last very long anyway. It would be good to use on moving parts, such as rudders and mirage drives, as well as the clips inside of your paddle, but "coating" your kayak is not advised.
Haha...I was being facetious...I don't really plan to coat my yak.
I'm just worried about over spray from using it on the drive, hardware and whatever else. I know some 'lubricants' can contain acetone and other harsh chemicals so I'm always cautious about using anything new.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i use it on my truck and i spray the mirage drive with it, plus all metal pliers and knifes. it knocks off rust and resists moisture. kinda like WD-40. if your mirage cables have rust on them, just give it a spray and watch it come off.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
i use it on my truck and i spray the mirage drive with it, plus all metal pliers and knifes. it knocks off rust and resists moisture. kinda like WD-40. if your mirage cables have rust on them, just give it a spray and watch it come off.
Cool...good to know.
I'm guessing you haven't seen any discoloring or bubbling or anything like that on your yak where you may have got over spray?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
smithers

Used it on my rubber boots no problem

Used that exact spray on my Xtra tuffs back when I first got em and was trying to keep em clean.

Didn't react at all with the rubber. (But I got lazy about scrubbing the boots after a trip; today they have crusted blood and salt on em.)

Think I also read about someone using it on rods to protect guides from salt. Not sure how effective that would be but generally I think the stuff is non-reactive.

Only thing I'd watch out for would be overspray making the deck of your kayak super slippery.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers View Post
Used that exact spray on my Xtra tuffs back when I first got em and was trying to keep em clean.

Didn't react at all with the rubber. (But I got lazy about scrubbing the boots after a trip; today they have crusted blood and salt on em.)

Think I also read about someone using it on rods to protect guides from salt. Not sure how effective that would be but generally I think the stuff is non-reactive.

Only thing I'd watch out for would be overspray making the deck of your kayak super slippery.
I've been using "Gunk" silicone spray on my rods and reels for years...always worked great. Hoping this is a close formula.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
maui jim

Sshhhhhh..........
Dont talk about lube with Jeorge........and Candy we will get too much info....
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
A lot of raft manufacturers and float tube, pontoon companies recommend "Protectant 303"
Some boat makers recommend it for marine upholstery. I heard it worked well for kayaks and I have used it for mine and have been very happy with it. For rust I use "Break Free".
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote