Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
jorluivil

On a Serious Note

This is mostly for the newbs but I'm sure in a way it would apply to all kayakers regardless of your skill level.

I talk to Matt, Tony & Roby almost on a daily basis, we bullshit about the threads, the comments, the fishing(or lack there of for me), trips(past and future), tackle and our family life but yesterday while I was on the phone a serious issue came up regarding the 'hot bite'.

Again, this will apply mostly to the newbs but........

Don't get over your head just to catch a fish, its not worth it. Launching at night, launching in unknown grounds, fishing alone, not being prepared can not only be dangerous but it can be fatal. Don't put yourself in a position that will compromise your safety or life, its not worth any WSB, YT or Hali.

During one of my recent trips I had the privilege of fishing with John aka Buttchaser, we spent so much time bullshitting about the areas we grew up in around the East LA/Boyle Heights area, the gangs, the shit we saw as kids and then we talked about wipe outs. He mentioned someone had recently broken a collar bone while surf landing the same area and a week before that I was told about someone that twisted an ankle and had to be helped with his gear, this also happened during a surf landing. Look at Tjones recent post and you'll get a general idea about what can happen. Again, what we do is supposed to be fun but it can also be downright dangerous. I also know of a very experienced kayaker that has been tossed several times during his most recent launches and landings. Again, this guy is very experienced yet he still suffered some loses, mostly monetary.

Some of us know of a particular incident that happened last year, it was so bad that it was never brought up on any boards, I'm sure someday it willl but its hush hush for now. Anyway, again......stay safe, don't get desperate, the fish will be there next week, next month and next year. Find someone that knows the area, do your research, crawl before you walk and have fun...................Your life is NOT worth a fish.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
MrPatrick

I went out once when I shouldn't have. Got wrecked by a huge wave that tossed me off and tore stuff off my yak. I got back to the beach after my FND did. It washed up in a big wave and waited for me. I, meanwhile, got submerged three more times and came up head first because of my snugged down PFD. When I was out of the SH!T, I instinctively grabbed for my wedding ring, not caring that I may have lost it, but that she might have lost me.
Now I listen to my gut. I've been at LJ where I'm sure looking back that I could have made the launch. If I get that "something's not right" feeling, I'll sit it out or watch the waves until the feeling goes away. She's worth it!

Patrick
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Jorge is right, "the spot" is inherintly dangerous. Just like jorge said dont get in over your head, its not worth it. If your experince is minimal, you shouldnt not go there. Make sure its up to your experience level. Even experienced anglers will have mishaps and wipe outs from time to time, from minor to serious.

Like i said before not trying to scare anybody away, just giving fair warning to anybody who is a newbee dying to catch that first WSB.

You dont want to be that guy...that got hurt lost all his gear or worse...
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
easyday

Yep first time ever in the ocean on a yak me and a buddy tried to launch from San O in 4'-5' lost alot of stuff and got slammed numerous times. There's a fine line between stupid and brave.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
cesar74

Well said!

That spot has tought me some good lessons. I've learned to be really,really,really patient to study the surf before I make my entry & exit. I go with very minimal gear & because I have a family that depends on me I always sacrifice my gear if I have the slightest feeling that I'm about to wipe out. Good luck & buddy up!
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
boxturtle

Well put! That's the reason why I love this site. There is a wealth of information on this site that all can take advantage of. With that I would like to thank all of you that have taken your time to share your knowledge!
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Newb here

Well coming from a newb, I totally understand. I have been in the bay many times and feel comfortable there. I think I am ready to broaden my horizons and launch at LJ. I have made sure yo have all the equipment by needed. I posted looking for those who may want to paddle out this coming Monday, but only one person pm'd me. I know it's not a matter of if but a matter of when. I just would prefer to launch with someone who knows what they are doing. Great post by the way! Just had my first born in October and plan to be there every step of the way.

Stay safe everyone

Cadillyak out...
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
smithers

I got my yak last season and have only ever gone out alone.

I see a lot of comments about how it's not safe but I dunno...

There are certain disaster scenarios where a buddy isn't going to make a difference. There is also the possibility that you go with a buddy and instead of helping you out that person ends up getting you into trouble. So I am very aware of the danger, but part of me is more comfortable facing it alone.

Also have a family to care for, so I got a fat life insurance policy after an incident on my second outing. I go out in S.B. usually they have some great whites lurking in those waters. I decided not to worry about them since it would be a glorious death but I still can't fish with my feet in the water. Life insurance doesn't cover lost foot after all!

I had one scary experience launching this season. Flipped at a spot where the break is pretty far out and took a beating from multiple sets while trying to keep a hand on the yak and get back to shore. Was totally exhausted by time I got back to shore and realized how out of shape I have become... packed up my gear and headed home. Decided I need to spend some time on the treadmill before attempting that spot again. Oh, lost my Go Pro too but the rest of it was more upsetting.

Wish I were closer to LJ I'd go out all the time.
Don't have the balls to hit county line and only did leo carillo once (hairy)
Mostly now make the drive up to Refugio which I have to recommend to anyone up that way as super easy launch. When I get back in shape I'm going to hit that spot that kicked my butt this season.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I prefer to launch/land where I don't risk losing my beer.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I prefer to launch/land where I don't risk losing my beer.
:thumbup:
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
momo fish

what spot? CL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Jorge is right, "the spot" is inherintly dangerous. Just like jorge said dont get in over your head, its not worth it. If your experince is minimal, you shouldnt not go there. Make sure its up to your experience level. Even experienced anglers will have mishaps and wipe outs from time to time, from minor to serious.

Like i said before not trying to scare anybody away, just giving fair warning to anybody who is a newbee dying to catch that first WSB.

You dont want to be that guy...that got hurt lost all his gear or worse...
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
GregAndrew

By all means, learn how to get back on your yak from the water with it fully loaded. That includes getting it back upright, and outfitted Iin your fishing attire. And expect the unexpected at any given time (cause it will happen).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
what spot? CL?
Craigslist?
County line?
Can we stop talking in code...haha

Last edited by BrokeLoser; 06-19-2013 at 10:24 PM.
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
TJones

good looking out

for the safety and and well being of others . ya i can chuckle about it becuase i did not get hurt . i really could not afford to get injured because my work would be affected . the smart thing would have been to launch down the street at leo and make the 1 mile paddle . the regulars with a lightly encumbered ocean kayak make it look so easy . but you know the spot is hot when you are paddling in and there is 10 surfers in your landing zone . excellent post jorge .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
Big Wave Dave

I've got to tell you about my first surf launch. I had a rented scupper pro and tried to go out from Pescado Beach in OB. I filipped over at least four times trying to get out. A girl brought out a lawn chair from her apartment to watch. She was laughing hysterically. Each time I flipped, I was washed into the rocks and had to put my gear back in place. I had a milk crate bungied to the back with rod holders on it. Finally got out and spent the day fishing.
Coming back in, I noticed that the surf had really picked up. I pulled up outside the break and there were a bunch of surfers there looking at me like I was crazy. They were telling me I'd never make it. I watched the sets for awhile and made a break for it. I made it in paddling for all I was worth and a wave pushed me right up onto the beach. This guy there was amazed and asked if I was a professional. I told him he should have seen me heading out. He was so impressed he helped me carry the yak to my car. Never tried to launch there again.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

Well said

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #17
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

My heart beats out of my chest, when the surf is up and i have to land

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
danjor

Be prepared for anything you never know what the ocean will throw at you. Was kayaking up in central California and when we went out in the morning the weather was borderline questionable, by the time we paddled roughly 10 miles to our fishing spot the weather picked up, by the time we made it back to where we launched surf landing was seriously a suicide mission 15+ surf and all the beaches had sleeper rocks everywhere, luckily we were smart enough to launch from a small bay, which still had 3-4 foot waves and the weather report said it was supposed to be small surf that day. If we had surf launched and had to surf land that day we would have had to call the coast guard. This is a great sport but just remember safety first.

BTW this was up by Monterey not CL if anyone got that impression

Last edited by danjor; 06-21-2013 at 09:17 AM.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
theluckypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
we paddled roughly 10 miles to our fishing spot
damn... suddenly, launching at leo doesn't sound so bad...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
paddle man

stupid is as stupid dose
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote