Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
bigbarrels

too much lube

Just overhauled my two Diawa Sealines (X40 SHA) and switched over to Carbontex drag washers. I used Cal's reel grease on the washers and I put a healthy coat on the washers. After putting the reels back together the drag seems to be good but I read the package and it said to use them dry or apply a thin layer of grease. When the drag is completely tightened there seems to be no slippage. Just wondering if I should take them apart and wipe off excess grease? Seems like worse case scenario is I will have to thumb the drag a little if there is slippage when hooked into the right kind Hoping to put it to the test this Friday
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
buttchaser
Float Tuber

I would wipe the down , Too much and you will never get enough drag pressure.
A little acetone on a rag will clean them up and then just lightly greased with cal's.
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
skrilla

You're safe. Sealines are a little more forgiving if you over do it on grease imho. Check your drag setting with a scale. If you're too worried you can always wipe the excess off with a rag but still leave a sheen on the surface, no solvents needed.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
bigbarrels

thanks for the input

took apart each reel and just wiped off excess grease and it made a big difference. These Carbontex drag washers definitely increased the drag capacity of my Sealines. Can't wait to put them to the test
Old 06-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
robmandel

with star drags (I've gone greased carbon fiber all 10 of my sealines, plus a calcutta,, a luna my abus, a few lo pro casting reels, also all my dads toriums, saltists, etc.) excess lube is not a big deal. it'll just squeeze out. unless of course you use half the container I wouldn't worry about it. as long as the drag stack is the same size, and as long as all the parts fit the same and there's no problem. the gear sleeve collar, if the drag star has the same range of movement, it's fine. button down and see where it maxes. if it is (on a 40/50 series) around 16-17, which you'd never fish anway, it's fine. then pull off line. in a few short bursts, and check if all bursts hold the same. loosen half way, check again. if it's consistent and it holds, you're good.

think about the drag stack, you're applying pressure to it. excess is squeezed out, and the grease is there to lube it to make it smooth. the grease won't affect the pressure applied by the star and collar, and since they don't absorb anything, they aren't going to swell or whatever.

as for increased drag, yeah you get a little, but it's not really all that much. it's the quality of drag that's immeasurably better than the quantity. earlier this week was on a boat in a good c-bass bite off pt. mugu in oxnard. and of course I hook into a huuuuuuge bat ray. what else the thing goes on a freaking tear, probably burns 50+ yds of line on my sealine 40x. as smooth as can be. no jerking on startup, no stickiness, just amazingly smooth, strong, consistent drag. that's the real gain.

lever drags and grease are a different issue. I've not opened up my avet. probably won't either.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
sasha

what kind of grease should i use for the reels?? i want to open and clean a reel for the first time. Its not as smooth as it should be.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
skrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
what kind of grease should i use for the reels?? i want to open and clean a reel for the first time. Its not as smooth as it should be.
Search up Alan Tani, he has some great tutorials and write ups on reel maintenance. Been doing reels for a long time and have settled on Cal's and Yamaha marine grease thanks to him. Oils I use what ever is on sale since I end up servicing bearings after every trip anyway.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Boat-Greas...d_bxgy_t_img_c

With the applicator, it's a good deal if you don't need to clean a huge number of reels. When I first needed some grease I bought some hot sauce grease and oil. Like the red color but not paying 100X per oz for it :P

Have heard others inc. Tani mention Yamaha marine grease but I'm guessing it's essentially the same as this stuff, which I've been happy with.

All you really need is some grease like this, small tub of cal's (I bought 1 oz off ebay), and some corrosion x. At some point I'll get some carb cleaner for cleaning out bearings...
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote