Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
yaky yak

Got a big one.....

Got a big one right in the chest after launching Saturday morning at gray light. I paddled out past all the waves and was pulling my glasses out of their water proof case and putting the leash on my paddle when I notice an extra big swell coming in heading my way. As I watched it it was getting steeper as it got closer, then I realized it was going to break right on top of me, HOLY hell. I started paddling like crazy so I'd have a little forward momentum then it hit me. and hit me it did. It was a wall of water. It was so steep I thought it would lift up the front of the kayak flip it end over end, but my prowler punched throu it. when I popped up like a cork I was still paddling forward and moving backwards.
Insane. The waves weren't even that big yesterday. Crazy.
Oh I want to thank the guys who help me get my kia out of the sand yesterday morning,first pushing then using Aarons truck. First time in 5 years of coming to La Jolla I've gotting stuck.
I thought it'ed be a mad house out there but it wasn't that bad 8 or 10 power boats and that many kayaks, and the party boats. I made bait pretty easily and trolled a mack around all day, and yo yo'ed and cast a jig at bait balls. All I caught was a ugly looking rock fish on the sibiki, and tossed him back.
I didn't see any one catch any think but did hear some hopping and hollering here and there off in the distance.
At one point there must of been 15 or so jet ski's ripping though the fishing grounds. That was nice
So to sum it all up, stuck in the sand, sneaker wave in the chest, jet ski's, no hot babes on the beach. Not my best trip, but it beats being home watching t.v. and I didn't lose nothing. So a successful trip for me.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
GregAndrew

There were some nasty swells there all day long yesterday. Thankfully there were lots of smaller ones in between. Got stuck myself in my 4wd Yukon in the exit side. Sand is really soft on both sides right now. Thanks to Robfish for the pull out. Got to pay it back yesterday when I pulled a guy stuck in the same spot I was a day before.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
cesar74

I'm thinking of doing a trip down to LJ, where's the best place to launch from and must one drive out on the sand to launch? Any response is appreciated, Thanks.
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
yakman619
HMFIC

I got stuck on my way out as well last weekend; I hope I don't get stuck in the morning when I want to launch next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
Got a big one right in the chest after launching Saturday morning at gray light. I paddled out past all the waves and was pulling my glasses out of their water proof case and putting the leash on my paddle when I notice an extra big swell coming in heading my way. As I watched it it was getting steeper as it got closer, then I realized it was going to break right on top of me, HOLY hell. I started paddling like crazy so I'd have a little forward momentum then it hit me. and hit me it did. It was a wall of water. It was so steep I thought it would lift up the front of the kayak flip it end over end, but my prowler punched throu it. when I popped up like a cork I was still paddling forward and moving backwards.
Insane. The waves weren't even that big yesterday. Crazy.
Oh I want to thank the guys who help me get my kia out of the sand yesterday morning,first pushing then using Aarons truck. First time in 5 years of coming to La Jolla I've gotting stuck.
I thought it'ed be a mad house out there but it wasn't that bad 8 or 10 power boats and that many kayaks, and the party boats. I made bait pretty easily and trolled a mack around all day, and yo yo'ed and cast a jig at bait balls. All I caught was a ugly looking rock fish on the sibiki, and tossed him back.
I didn't see any one catch any think but did hear some hopping and hollering here and there off in the distance.
At one point there must of been 15 or so jet ski's ripping though the fishing grounds. That was nice
So to sum it all up, stuck in the sand, sneaker wave in the chest, jet ski's, no hot babes on the beach. Not my best trip, but it beats being home watching t.v. and I didn't lose nothing. So a successful trip for me.
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
GregAndrew

You can park on the street in the 15 min. loading/unloading zone just a few feet from the beach entrance. It gets a little busy there on the weekends though.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Thanks for the report..... nice to hear the report, even if no big fish....
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
cesar74

Thanks for the info & replying back Greg.
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
First time in 5 years of coming to La Jolla I've gotting stuck.
My 11pm departure last week took a little longer.....POS 2 wheel drive Tacoma!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
USMCfish

Glad you had a safe return... The fish god owe ya now
USMCfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
radastaff

i just cart my yak over from parking
and avoid driving in the sand all together

hate them sneaker rouge waves

prowlers do punch well
get em sideways and ure gonna roll
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Chief Gunner

No worries "Yaky Yak", glad I could assit you with getting your car out with my beater. I'm Glad you had that rope & cable too.

Man that surf was kicking my butt too while launching the PA Sat morning, but I managed to punch through it and get past it.

There was another car stuck in the sand on the right side when I got back. I offered the lady driving it some help but neither of us had a strap..the 1st thing I did when I got home after cleaning my gear was to throw my tow strap back on the floor under the back seat in the truck so it will be there if I need it.

The sand is super soft & deep at the entrance / exit area and there's some deep ruts there now on the right side exit from a few excavations/ attemps at getting stuck vehicles out.
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
yaky yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Gunner View Post
No worries "Yaky Yak", glad I could assit you with getting your car out with my beater. I'm Glad you had that rope & cable too.

Man that surf was kicking my butt too while launching the PA Sat morning, but I managed to punch through it and get past it.

There was another car stuck in the sand on the right side when I got back. I offered the lady driving it some help but neither of us had a strap..the 1st thing I did when I got home after cleaning my gear was to throw my tow strap back on the floor under the back seat in the truck so it will be there if I need it

The sand is super soft & deep at the entrance / exit area and there's some deep ruts there now on the right side exit from a few excavations/ attemps at getting stuck vehicles out.

Man you were a life saver, my little kia was down to the frame in that sand. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
yaky yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
i just cart my yak over from parking
and avoid driving in the sand all together

hate them sneaker rouge waves

prowlers do punch well
get em sideways and ure gonna roll
Thats the ying and yang of prowlers. I can get out in the roughest waves punching my way through, but getting back throu those same wave, if you start to get a little sideways, i learned to just jump ship before she tumbles.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
smithers

Big sets

I went out Sunday at LJ.

First time I've been back down since I got the yak (been fishing up in S.B. area past couple months)

Waves were small but there were some surprisingly big sets every now and then. Late morning I noticed that every once in a while a really big swell would come through (my Revo 11 is not the most stable platform, so I got startled a couple times) and I realized there would be some big breakers at landing.

I forgot my paddle (said I wouldn't go out again with out it but decided to anyways) and though I timed my landing well, I misjudged the depth and jumped out in six feet of water.

So there I was, having just waited out a set of 5+ foot waves, treading water 25' from shore with a hand on the back of the yak. Luckily I was able to swim it in a few feet then touch bottom and push it in before another set came in. But then I was so relieved to have avoided the big ones I got surprised by a little one that tipped the empty yak and dunked my reels argh.

If I had the paddle I woulda yanked the mirage drive and paddled all the way in. Sandbars there I guess not the slow drop I've gotten used to.

So anyways, my first experience launching at LJ puts it in my mind above Leo Carillo but far behind Refugio my easy launch up in S.B. I'm sure there are days/times it's glassy, but Sunday was not one.

Didn't see much activity in the water, but the warm water was nice and visibility was good. Didn't miss the oil patches that we get up here... didn't put any more tar boogers on my hull. Was expecting more mayhem out in the grounds based on reports but it was not a problem. I'm used to fishing with no one in sight but it wasn't unwelcome seeing other folks out on the water.

There was a tall blonde guy who gave me a quick run down on the boundaries before I launched. Looked like he might have been a guide to a father and son. Thanks dude wherever you are. Sorry I forgot the name was to worried about launching in that with no paddle :P
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote