Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Leo Carrillo better for surfing than yakking

Arrived at Leo today around 11:30 to squeeze in some last minute fishing, better late than nothing. Checked the forecast on the way and it said 1-2 ft, which it was with the occasional 4-6 footer. While I loaded up the yak I watched the break and timed my exit, which was perfect with the mild surf, until next thing I know I am going over the side. Damn 6 foot wave came out of nowhere and of course I was looking down to double-check my paddle leash so I wasn't prepared . Luckily I bailed and caught the yak only as it was half way rolled over so nothing was lost or destroyed. In the process of catching the yak I did lose my footing on the rocks the beach is known for and managed to scrape up my leg pretty good. After I got everything situated I managed to get out to the kelp beds but with the wind and the current it was impossible to float and fish so I called it a day after a couple hours. Nothing to show for my last-minute excursion except soaked gear and getting banged up.....but at least I didn't lose anything.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
spottie slayer

bummer dude hope ur legs ok.
spottie slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
janines.fishtales@cox.net

It can be humbling huh?

Janine
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Arrived at Leo today around 11:30 to squeeze in some last minute fishing, better late than nothing. Checked the forecast on the way and it said 1-2 ft, which it was with the occasional 4-6 footer. While I loaded up the yak I watched the break and timed my exit, which was perfect with the mild surf, until next thing I know I am going over the side. Damn 6 foot wave came out of nowhere and of course I was looking down to double-check my paddle leash so I wasn't prepared . Luckily I bailed and caught the yak only as it was half way rolled over so nothing was lost or destroyed. In the process of catching the yak I did lose my footing on the rocks the beach is known for and managed to scrape up my leg pretty good. After I got everything situated I managed to get out to the kelp beds but with the wind and the current it was impossible to float and fish so I called it a day after a couple hours. Nothing to show for my last-minute excursion except soaked gear and getting banged up.....but at least I didn't lose anything.
I got my yak last year to fish kelp at Leo but only went out there once.
Instead, most trips last year I headed up to Santa Barbara. Camping at Refugio (great launch site and decent fishing) or beach launch just north of there.

Hate the break at Leo. Day I went out was same thing; 1-2 ft forecast but actual waves much bigger. Got lucky that day going out and in but it was so windy I didn't have much fun fishing.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Yeah, I grew up surfing Leo so I thought it'd be great water to get out for a bit before the wind kicked up, usually around 2:00 everyday. I prefer launching from other beaches but I thought I'd give it a chance in a kayak, not sure how often I'd come back to launch if it's any later than 8:00 AM. It was definitely a humbling experience, I've launched in surf that big a few other times but I think I got lucky and never wrecked. I learned to take a step back and appreciate the attention needed when surf launching, and not to monkey around with any gear while trying to launch.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I forgot to ask, where do you launch from in Santa Barbara? I was thinking about heading up there and launching just to the left or right of the pier, park right on the street and wheel the yak down to the water. I lived there some years back and am not 100% sure but I recall the surf not being too bad on either side of the pier. No idea how the fishing is in that area though.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
smithers

SB launch, also Faria

In SB, I have launched from two spots:

Right at beach in Refugio state park is totally sheltered spot (hence name?) This is easiest surf launch spot I've seen anywhere. Either camp and launch in grey light (spots get reserved well in advance...) or pay $10 for parking and go for day but downside is ranger shack opens at 8 or 10 AM I can't remember.

There is also a launch spot 2 miles north of Refugio. Park in dirt patch right off freeway and carry the yak down a short bumpy path. This spot made me glad I got a Revo 11 over the pro angler.

My other launch spot up here is near Rincon, just S of Faria. Fishing probably not as good as SB but I saw a lot of bait last time and drive is about half for me. My next trip will be there.
Check out Google Earth with these coordinates:
34°19'0.62"N
119°21'55.10"W

You can park there on street right off the 101. Coords show stairs (about 12 steps) through rocks where you can carry yak down to beach. Not sure how high surf comes so I'd plan to avoid high tide launch or land. There is a nice little beach just S of steps next to red house which is landmark for coming back in.

Also, I'd like to learn Hueneme launch spots so I can go after some halibut in that area so if you have any pointers plz share thanks.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
captnblood34

Don't let this discourage you, I dive Leo and you don't have to paddle far to find what ever it is your looking for. Loaded with life! Did you try landing straight out from the rock?? If you grew up surfing than you should know better to launch/land 100-200 meters south of where most of the surfers and spongers get in. Always calmer even on a tossed day.

Jay
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Yeah, I was perhaps a bit hasty in my drive to get out in the water instead of finding a better launch site or taking the time to really pay attention to the surf. That, and the fact I've launched in bigger and was feeling a tad bit cocky I suppose. Lesson learned though and reality checked, I'm back to being humble and patient.