Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
rooster707

Thresher gear

what gear do you all use when you want to hook into a nice t shark? mono or braid? rod and reels? id love to get on one but i dont want to go without the right gear. thanks again guys. Mark
rooster707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
CurtyL

I've only ever caught them on mono - but then thats all I use. Old school. I think the real question is the gear you need once you catch one. If I'm gonna keep one, which is rare, I have large game gaff (you'll need the leverage), k-bar knife to bleed the gills with relatively easy cuts, and a 4ft length nylon chord in a noose to slip over the tail and drag er' around till it dies. Chances are you'll needs some bungees to strap it to your deck and keep it from sliding over the rails, it'll take up most of the space on your yak... Catching a T is the easy part.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Gino

Ive had friends fish for them on 15-30 voltaeus Rod,, and a Shimano TR100... 50lb power pro and use a 6 foot 125lb steel leader. a cup helps to His fish weighed in the 175lb range

Id use a standard heavy YT stick 30-80lb range , 50 - 80lb spectra, tied to the steal leader with a strong swivel. Reels are an open book, shimano tld 2 - or even a big Pen Sen 14hl your thumb is the best drag youll ever use. let them pull you around for a while.

be smart be safe. release females, keep 1 a year, nothing over 200lb.

and go with someone who knows what they are doing, if you took a tail to the face you could be found laying on the water like a kelp patty. (maybe even a bonita or mack under ya!) We fish for them in 2 person teams to be safe.

have fun.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
rooster707

thanks guys. i dont imagine id keep anything since i rarely keep anything anymore but i think it would be a kick ass fight. i really only hear of guys hooking into them in la jolla, what about carlsbad or oside areas? is there a need to set up a good chum slick or just put a good mack on and troll around? i appreciate the info guys. ive only been shark fishing on boats before. happy new year and be safe. Mark
rooster707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Jim Sammons LJKF

No reason at all to use wire leaders for threshers and it can be dangerous. If live bait fishing use a larger 6/0 - 8/0 hook with a 12 foot 80-100 lb mono or flouro leader.
On a good quality reel you can land these things on 6lb if you have the time but 30-40 mono is a better bet. 50-80 if going with braid. A Trinidad 12-16 is plenty big enough, a TLD 15 lever is also a good inexpensive choice.
This fishery is a blast but is getting hit harder every year, so though legal to keep think about CnR.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
CurtyL

what Jim said. I've caught them on 30lb mono both flylining macs in the summer with 1/0 hooks (around the pencil buoy) and 30lb mono on fried egg yo yo's 6X's in the winter at the spot. No leaders of any kind.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
thanks guys. i dont imagine id keep anything since i rarely keep anything anymore but i think it would be a kick ass fight. i really only hear of guys hooking into them in la jolla, what about carlsbad or oside areas? is there a need to set up a good chum slick or just put a good mack on and troll around? i appreciate the info guys. ive only been shark fishing on boats before. happy new year and be safe. Mark
Oceanside is a good area for T-sharks; there is a nice deep canyon offshore that brings them in. I also fished for T's when I had a boat and just recently started fishing from my kayak and my best success, when fishing from my boat, for T's was just north and south of Dana Point and then off Oceanside.

If you have a good fishfinder, look for balls of bait and fish around them. A good mack or cut fish for bait will work. In other words, what worked on a boat works on a kayak, just keep in mind you are not on a boat

I live close to Dana Pt. harbor, so if you are looking for someone to team-up with let me know.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote