Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
eertkao
Steve-O.

spiral/acid wrapped rods

Hey guys/gals,

Just read about these spiral wrapped or acid wrapped rods and wanted to know if anyone knows where I can buy one?

For those of you who are unfamiliar, like I was about 10 minutes ago here's a link:

http://acidrod.com/acidrods.html
Old 02-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Im guessing since they have an online store in the same site you posted, then acidrods.com would be your ticket. Or if you are more hands on then probably a rod trip to san dimas is in order

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Very clever design by the way. Thanks for sharing the find.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

ya, go to the store in san dimas. i don't have an acid rod but i've bought components from them there and its a cool place, they have a ton of rainshadow blanks too. Kenny's rod and reel in upland will do them too. im sure i've seen a couple on his rack. google his shop.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
taggermike

Evedently the spiral wrap comes in and out favor and has done so for many years. The primary purpose is to stabilize the rod when fighting a fish and eliminate any rolling of the reel and rod. This has never been a problem for me but I did spiral wrap a rod a few years ago just to see how it would look and perform. Looked cool/strange and performed well. The reel is deffinately rock solid on top of the rod when I pull on fish. This rod also seems to cast just as well as other rods I have. It was a bit more difficult to wrap the guides on and around and if I make another rod it will not be a spiral. Mostly you get funny looks and coments about mis-alligned 2 piece rods when you get on a party boat. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i've wrapped 2 twin rods (one acid and one regular). same length. same amount of guides. they even came out to be the same weight. tested them in all conditions possible. and from my tests... they are exactly the same. same casting distance. same torque feel. same control.

the MAIN differences
1. people who never seen an acid rod will call you retarded for putting a 1 piece rod on incorrectly
2. ACID RODS ARE AMAZING ON BIGGGG FISH. my twin rods were only bay bass rods so there was not too much hmph in the fight. but i also have an acid rod for my tuna trips and it feels amazing to have energy to keep fishing after i just landed a nice grade yft.
vincentek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
taggermike

Here's a shot of my "twisted freak", Spiral wrapped Seeker Ulua 93H. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (72.6 KB, 74 views)
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
2. ACID RODS ARE AMAZING ON BIGGGG FISH.
Bingo... An adaption originally used for cow tuna on long range boats, that's designed to keep the rod more stable when fighting big fish straight down without a harness at the rail.

Unless he rod is heavily loaded with like twenty pounds of drag or more, and unless the fish is straight down, the spiral makes no difference whatsoever.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
fishingfiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
the MAIN differences
1. people who never seen an acid rod will call you retarded for putting a 1 piece rod on incorrectly
2. ACID RODS ARE AMAZING ON BIGGGG FISH. my twin rods were only bay bass rods so there was not too much hmph in the fight. but i also have an acid rod for my tuna trips and it feels amazing to have energy to keep fishing after i just landed a nice grade yft.
I've had people try and straighten out my GUSA 80MAG that I had acid wrapped. Otherwise, I love this rod for bottom fishing with a TN12/14 and lots of spectra. Besides BIG FISH, it really helps reduce angler fatigue after a long day of dropping down deep looking for reds. You'd be surprised how much twisting fatigue you'll endure on a dedicated bottom fishing trip. I believe the acid wrap will also provide a benefit to trolling conventional reels in a rod holder. The line will drop back like a spinning rod at the tip guide, but you'll have the torque of a conventional.

I'm not sure where you can buy them, as it seems most out here were custom wrapped. Don't be afraid of custom wrapped rods, IMO they are more affordable than people think. Now if you can wrap yourself, you're in business!
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
eertkao
Steve-O.

thanks for all the input guys

once I have some extra money to spend, I'll be shopping around.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
.... I love this rod for bottom fishing with a TN12/14 and lots of spectra. Besides BIG FISH, it really helps reduce angler fatigue after a long day of dropping down deep looking for reds. You'd be surprised how much twisting fatigue you'll endure on a dedicated bottom fishing trip...

Makes sense. Once again with rockfishing your dealing with a long sustained load straight down, so oddly in kind of the same way with circling tuna you'd end up with similar benefits.

I hear you on rockfish. Cranking up multiple fish from down deep especially back when we could go deep would really wear you out. I've had those days where I just left the rod in the holder after a while. I could definitely see how an acid wrapped rod would make it easier.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote