Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #21
Hunters Pa

I used to live right there on 63rd - my apartment building is just outside of Tom's shot. Unfortunately, this was before I got into kayak fishing or I probably never would have moved

Ballona Creek is freaking foul! Hypodermics, diapers, tampons, roadkill - all the stuff thrown into the gutters of the LA basin. Especially after the first big rain in the Fall.

Street parking in the neighborhood is scarce, and locals usually try to tie it up in the summer as they park their own cars on the street to open up their garages for visitors. Since there are no public facilities, or at least were not when I lived there, the beach south of the channel does not get a lot of use. GREAT eye candy on the bike path though.

Jetties can have some real sketchy characters fishing them, so I would not troll through the channel as you make your way outside. Might land later in the day to find a couple rough types with the perception that you took their fish. But not as bad as the gangsta parties at Dockweiler.

I always thought there would be some nice flats or uncharted rockpiles not too far from the harbor mouth, but I never got to look for them. be careful in the summer as there are frequent regattas where dozens of sailboats tack to get offshore then come barreling back with spinnakers flying. Cool to see, but I would not want to be in their path as they are busy mixing their fifth highball of the afternoon.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #22
Amish Ed

I think the short bites might actually be fish hitting the blade itself on occasion. I have the same problem with Warblades and spinner baits too. Downsizing the trailer helps the hook up ratio though, so I don't know..
Old 06-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #23
Stuck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
I think the short bites might actually be fish hitting the blade itself on occasion. I have the same problem with Warblades and spinner baits too. Downsizing the trailer helps the hook up ratio though, so I don't know..
That was my theory, too. I talked to the owner at Jig Stop and he said using the smaller underspins helps a bit. Recommended the 3/8 oz. Coolbaits (I was using a 5/8 oz.) so I'll give it a try next time.
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #24
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck20 View Post
That was my theory, too. I talked to the owner at Jig Stop and he said using the smaller underspins helps a bit. Recommended the 3/8 oz. Coolbaits (I was using a 5/8 oz.) so I'll give it a try next time.
One of the main reasons I havent bought into the Warblade is because of this exact idea.

The fish more than likely are going to attack the blade. If the blade is in parallel with the hook/meat of the lure, then your hookup ratio will be better. If the blade is BEHIND the hook, then you can imagine what that will do to your numbers. That's also why I think having a shorter trailer helps as well.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #25
Aaron&Julie

Nice flattie!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #26
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
One of the main reasons I havent bought into the Warblade is because of this exact idea.

The fish more than likely are going to attack the blade. If the blade is in parallel with the hook/meat of the lure, then your hookup ratio will be better. If the blade is BEHIND the hook, then you can imagine what that will do to your numbers. That's also why I think having a shorter trailer helps as well.....
Yeah, but when they want the warblade, they hit it good. I've had some excellent days with them.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #27
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post

I always thought there would be some nice flats or uncharted rockpiles not too far from the harbor mouth, but I never got to look for them.

There are some piles,
they are charted.
See the dfg website.

they get hit regularly though from the sporties
of course
look to north exit and bout 45degree angle heading

sail-boaters can be rather lame and thick
comes with the territory
head on a swivel
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #28
AnglerBob
Junior

Great report. I live very near there and have actually never tried MDR, believing fishing to be better in Alamitos Bay and NPH. I've kayaked MDR several times with the mrs. on a non-fishing paddle and never see anyone fishing, but now I'm really tempted to give it a go.

Does anyone know if it's possible/practical to park at Dock 52 for free and cart your yak over to the ramp to launch?
AnglerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #29
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglerBob View Post
Great report. I live very near there and have actually never tried MDR, believing fishing to be better in Alamitos Bay and NPH. I've kayaked MDR several times with the mrs. on a non-fishing paddle and never see anyone fishing, but now I'm really tempted to give it a go.
Thanks! Its very quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite places to fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglerBob View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible/practical to park at Dock 52 for free and cart your yak over to the ramp to launch?
You might have to walk past the people running the gate, but if they don't say anything, then you're golden. Let me know how it goes because paying $10 every week to park at the ramp parking is becoming pretty expensive....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #30
AnglerBob
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Thanks! Its very quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite places to fish.

You might have to walk past the people running the gate, but if they don't say anything, then you're golden. Let me know how it goes because paying $10 every week to park at the ramp parking is becoming pretty expensive....
I've never seen humans running the gate, just the pay machine. But I will try it and report back!
AnglerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #31
ryan_raymond_p
Junior

Awesome post! I wish I read this sooner. I bought my first kayak on Saturday and headed straight to MDR. Even after all the research and youtube videos, I still didn't know what the hell I was doing..smh. I parked at the public launch..made my way towards, what I know now is, the break wall. I stopped well short of it when I saw all these sailboats doing laps. I may have only dropped my line in 10 times along the way. Now I can hit up MDR better prepared.
ryan_raymond_p is offline   Reply With Quote