Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
katesimmons
Junior

Lightbulb Student question about communication and navigation equipment

Hi everyone!

My name is Katie Simmons and I am in my fourth year of studying Industrial Design (product design) at Virginia Tech. I am working on a a concept for a device that is essentially a mash up of a handheld marine VHF radio and a nav. gps. I have some questions about regulations, current technologies you use, and about my current concept. The prompt for my project is to essentially design a connected product for future use, so technology and power capabilities don't have to be all here right now (I'm basically assuming technology will be smaller and batteries will be more powerful than they are now).

I know USSailing has a regulation that all nearshore vessels must have a watertight handheld VHF radio with gps capabilities. I was wondering if you knew if ocean-faring kayaks or any other small one-man vessels had to follow a similar rule? If so, what are you required to carry with you for communication/navigation?

What devices do you use for navigation and communication on the water? Do you have separate devices for both nav. and comm.? Roughly, how much did you invest in them/how much do you think it is reasonable to invest in these devices? If you've ever bought a "waterproof" radio or gps that turned out to be only water resistant, what was your experience with that? Have you ever had difficulty communicating with the other kayaks you're with or with other larger vessels while on the water?

What are your essential needs for communication and navigation on the water? What other kinds of devices do you take with you? Do they have screens, buttons, speakers? Are there any conditions that make these devices difficult to use?

Also does anyone have thoughts on the idea of a radio/navigational gps mash up? I know handheld vhf radios with gps capability already exist, but more than likely they only give you your coordinates. My concept has a pressure-sensitive screen with an interface that can toggle between the gps and radio controls with a physical talk button as well as volume buttons on the side of it. It slides into and is secured magnetically to a mount that you can fix to your boat in a variety of ways, so it can withstand breaking waves but you can also hit a release and easily grab it to use the radio. Otherwise it has all the functionality of a regular marine gps with MOB, waypoints, depth charts, as well as a function to see if other boats are tracking towards you at high speeds and to potentially receive/send proximity alerts/depth alerts. Is there any other functionality/notification you feel would be useful/necessary?

Thoughts?

Again, I'm a student and I'm not extremely familiar with ocean kayaking, and this is just a concept (I am building a wooden kayak for relaxing river/lake use, but that's about where my knowledge ends). I think my target user would be aimed at nearshore/coastal recreational/touring self-propelled vessels (kayaks, canoes, small sailboats). Potentially not professionals and not beginners but someone in the middle, who want to invest in a convenient device that serves multiple purposes rather than purchaseing three different devices.

I'm seeking answers to these questions, validation, comments, concerns, etc. Any responses would be a great help!

Thank you so much!

katesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
DanaPT

The avg joe may trave 6 miles near shore. A radio is important GPS is useful but not needed.

Spend 100 on a radio. May never need it.

Develop a radio that tells me where to find fish in I'd pay $1000.

Your welcome.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Very comprehensive! You have come to the right place, cause we can use and abuse our electronics with the best of them.

1)No VHF carry regulations so far covering other small watercraft, but give it a week this is California.

2) Devices used for navigation and communication include but are not limited to: Compass, Cell Phone (for both), Chartplotters (usually as part of Fish finder), VHF radios.

3)Generally yes, but some do use their smart phones for both.

4)Space and weight are a premium on a kayak, so the more usefull functions you can get from your devices the more valuable they are. Most people that get into the sport will spend $300 or more on a Fishfinder and more than $100 on a VHF.

5)I Have had many "waterproof" radios miraculously become water resistant radios. In hindsight I would have paid $250 for a good one to start with (also floating is a good sell).

6) After about 3 miles distance you have very little communication with other kayaks cause we sit so low in the water and have little output in our battery devices.

7) Really, a cell phone has better range than a VHF. So a waterproof phone case is all that is needed for communication. A cell phone could also be enough for navigation if it has fishing apps and a good GPS.

8) Fish finders is about all.

9) Screen yes. Buttons - the fewer the better (take away from screen size and cause waterproofing problems). Speakers - no but they can be wirelessly connected to some.

10) Wet hands (especially on touch screens). Water drops on the screens (especially Salt Water).

11) The one benefit of the VHF radio is in its ability to broadcast to multiple ears. Instead of calling the Coast Guard on the phone, you can get help form the nearest craft. That gives it some value, but only if and when the range is useful. Dime store walkie talkies have better range than most of our current hand held VHFs. So combining them is only half the battle to adding value (the space saving).

12) Sonar capability and display without a bunch of hardware would be great. Bluetooth to connect your smart phone, headset and maybe your waterproof speakers while they remain stowed or affixed. Ability to upload Apps for picture/video review (GoPro). Voice activated features including the VHF.

The trend in combo Fish Finder/ Chart Plotters is toward large screens just like Cell Phones, so I am not sure if one that is removable to be portable is the best direction. Not to mention that we rarely need to port our radios anywhere. Adding functional features to the already existing screen is the value added. That being said, there is almost always space behind the Fish Finder for a detachable radio.

Just my opinions, but hope they help.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

Plastic or glass screens on electronics can be very difficult or impossible to read in Sunlight.

Wet screens can be hard to read.

Screens that are Scratched up by dried up salt, sand etc very difficult to read.

Make it a "floating" item.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote