Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
FISHIONADO

CDFG News Release - Multiple Hooks

This is a good one to know, you can't have multiple hooks on a single pole when fishing for lingcod or rockfish. I caught a legal size lingcod in season once on a leadhead plastic I was using as a weight for my sabiki rig. I didn't realize I was violating the regulations at the time, fortunately someone told me, I wouldn't do it again knowing the rules.

http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Question: When fishing for sanddabs, how many hooks can be attached to the line on a single rod? (Len P.)

Answer: You may fish for sanddabs with as many hooks as you like on a single rod, unless rockfish, lingcod or salmon are on the vessel or in possession, in which case special restrictions apply (Fish and Game Code, Section 28.65).
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

please verify the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
This is a good one to know, you can't have multiple hooks on a single pole when fishing for lingcod or rockfish. I caught a legal size lingcod in season once on a leadhead plastic I was using as a weight for my sabiki rig. I didn't realize I was violating the regulations at the time, fortunately someone told me, I wouldn't do it again knowing the rules.

http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Question: When fishing for sanddabs, how many hooks can be attached to the line on a single rod? (Len P.)

Answer: You may fish for sanddabs with as many hooks as you like on a single rod, unless rockfish, lingcod or salmon are on the vessel or in possession, in which case special restrictions apply (Fish and Game Code, Section 28.65).

that info is outdated 2 hooks max.

28.65 now says

28.65. GENERAL. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook and line
or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:
(a) San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez
Bridge, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.
(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two
nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.
(c) When rockfish (genus Sebastes) or lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) are aboard or in possession,
where only one line with not more than two hooks may be used pursuant to Sections
28.55 or 28.27, respectively.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
tight lines

Cod rigs come standard with two hooks .I would have to agree with that being outdated .But good lookin out .
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
FISHIONADO

Are you saying my lingcod was legal? Carrie Wilson from the DFG sent that info on Thursday so I really doubt it is outdated.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
FISHIONADO

I see what you guys are saying, two hooks are ok for cod. I was making a point about by-catch on your sabiki.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:

What you said was;
"you can't have multiple hooks on a single pole when fishing for lingcod or rockfish."

that info is out dated.

the answer you received from a Biologist was ;
You may fish for sanddabs with as many hooks as you like on a single rod, unless rockfish, lingcod or salmon are on the vessel or in possession, in which case special restrictions apply (Fish and Game Code, Section 28.65).

take note of the phrase, "special restrictions apply"

No disrespect to the author of the page you linked, but she is a Biologist, not a Warden. She does not directly answer your question but refers you to the CDFG code. If a direct answer is what your looking for then no your ling was not legal, unless your sabiki had only 1 hook and the lead head had a hook.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
FISHIONADO

Sorry I didn't explain it better, I don't have much time for dumb people. You will figure it out some day. If you catch a ling cod or rock fish on a sabiki don't post a photo on the internet.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Sorry I didn't explain it better, I don't have much time for dumb people. You will figure it out some day. If you catch a ling cod or rock fish on a sabiki don't post a photo on the internet.
Dang it, I really meant to say if you catch one on your sabiki, let it go, it's not legal.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Dang it, I really meant to say if you catch one on your sabiki, let it go, it's not legal.
see you on the water.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
fishsouthcounty

Quote:

haha. seriously?
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
FISHIONADO

Hey Bus Kid, I'm sorry for being a dick. You were trying to help, I was trying to help, but I also have issues. Hope you catch your best fish next trip.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Don't worry about it we all have our off days, Its a small world I'm sure we will see each other on the water, I'll even split a 6 pack with you.