Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #21
CurtyL

Does any one else here think that T realy doesn't taste that great? I kept one, bled it correctly and all, and got some nice steaks out of it. Grilled some up and - yuck. I don't keep em cause I won't eat em.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
bmercury

Jim, I think my point was that I believe others are killing far more than their far share, so I feel bad about keeping anything that could instead be released. I understand that there are a lot of people that are big on conservation but that doesn't put fish back into the ocean.

And yes good point about the sportboats. They needlessly leave a wake of destruction. Going rockfishing on one of those boats is just insane. They try to prevent you from using anything but the smallest baits. Then they just kill hundreds and hundreds of baby rockfish day in and day out for a much smaller amount of keepers.

Science shows that these fish can be safely released with very little effort on their part, but they only care about the $$$ and of course are very well represented with lobbyists, lawyers, industry trade groups etc to be able to continue their unsustainable practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
people are trying to blame humboldt squid!

Wow that is insane. Reminds me of a certain country which blames certain cetaceans for the decline in their fisheries.

Also another reason not to eat a shark... you know the taxman is never too far from you
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #23
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I don't target any fish for "catch and release", that goes against my morals, I only fish for meat....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
I believe others are killing far more than their far share, so I feel bad about keeping anything that could instead be released.
Though I see where you are both coming from I find both of those attitudes a little extreme.

It kind of reminds of a female friend I know who is deeply religious: She once told me that she did not believe in sex before marriage and then added that sex even in marriage should only be used for procreation.

I disagree with both those ideas, my take being that it takes the fun out of the equation.

I don't think fishing is purely about getting meat, just like I don't think sex is just about trying to get kids. Nor do I think others irresponsibility when it comes to fishing or even reproduction means that I should not have fun, or take something home when the opportunity presents itself

All joking aside this is not religion.

There is not one single way to fishing salvation, or only one right way to fish.

I will say there are wrong ways to fish, non-sustainable ways, and I think most of those problematic ways are based on old models or old mentalities or even ignorance about fishing that see the ocean as this unlimted resource.

The ocean is not a unlimited resource, by now everyone should realize that it can be over exploited, which results and diminished stocks and frankly shitty fishing. I'm selfish I love to fish and I want fish around for the future so I can fish them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
I understand that there are a lot of people that are big on conservation but that doesn't put fish back into the ocean.
I think you are wrong there. Conservation and changing people attitudes about fishing is the only thing that is going to put more fish back into the ocean when it comes to stocks that are being overexploited or overfished.

There is fishing that is sustainable and there is fishing that is damaging to our resources and therefor unsustainable.

The deal is we need to educate fisherman as well as the public as to what fishing is unsustainable and then show them alternatives: ways of fishing that are sustainable.

We also need to educate them on the environmental factors that are effecting fish as well. Water quality is a huge issue when it comes to Southern California fishing and it one issue that is frankly being ignored in the race for reserves.

That said we are the fisherman first so it's up to us to monitor the direct impacts of our activities, and choose wisely when it comes to what we do out there. My take is to fish responsibly and set an example for others.

You can't fish for fish that not there. So the best thing we can do for fishing is educate fisherman and consumers as to what's a problem and what's not, based on reality, not beliefs or extreme positions one way or another.

Once again just my take though.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-17-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #24
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I don't target any fish for "catch and release", that goes against my morals, I only fish for meat.
I should keep this to myself better, most of my friends are bass fishermen.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote