Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
sdfishbagger
Junior

Stability questions

For the last 4 years I've fished off an XFactor. I guess I got spoiled with the stability. I took my Revo out for a spin for the first time this morning off the shores. A couple small swells hit me. I felt as if I was about to fall off. Is stability something that I will eventually learn from a more narrower yak?
sdfishbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Amish Ed

You will get used to it, just takes some time.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Im not a hobie guy but ive heard of guys going from outbacks to revos and complaining about the stability. Im in an xfactor now and it an extremely stable platform. Naturally going back down to something less stable you will notice the difference. Like amish ed said, just gotta get used to it. One of the sacrifices you make for the tevos other benifits.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfishbagger View Post
For the last 4 years I've fished off an XFactor. I guess I got spoiled with the stability. I took my Revo out for a spin for the first time this morning off the shores. A couple small swells hit me. I felt as if I was about to fall off. Is stability something that I will eventually learn from a more narrower yak?
I love my X-Factor for the stability it offers and that's also why I never went with a WS Kayak. Work on your core balance and remember to keep your head and core centered on the Kayak, where your head goes your body will follow.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I went from a fat little tandem to my skinny x-13 and it was a little difficult at first but feels just right now. Do some yoga
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I love my X-Factor for the stability it offers and that's also why I never went with a WS Kayak. Work on your core balance and remember to keep your head and core centered on the Kayak, where your head goes your body will follow.
This works on motorcycles too.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfishbagger View Post
Have you ever sat on a surfboard or boogie board while waiting for waves to come? It's kind of like that, but on a bigger platform.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I went from a Navigator to a Revo some time back and it seemed a little loose to start but got used to it quickly. Have since have been in some pretty nasty stuff - hooked up and never had an issue. Being able to peddle and follow a fish, stay heading into the wind or drift as opposed the paddling while trying to fish is well worth any tradeoffs. I've since been on a few of the more stable platforms yaks and they seemed cumbersome and heavy.

Only concern I'd mention with a Revo is surf launches - I've launched quite a few places thru the surf up and down the coast and anything over a couple of feet and the Revo punches thru a cresting wave and with the bow configuration, doesn't necessarily ride up and over it - you will get a face full. Make sure the drain holes under the seat are open when you do - - -
Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

My x-13 is the same as far as punching through a big wave, you get wet but when the sea gets nasty it is a life saver.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
taggermike

There are marine engeneer's publications discussing primary and secondary stability. Kayaks follow these rules as well. Some yaks feel tippy but will recover. Like the old weebles, maybe your not that old, they woble but will not fall over. Other yaks are super stable and resist tipping but have a sort of break point after which they will not recover. Each has it's strengths. You might want to hit a pool or bay with no gear and tip your kayak too see and feel where the recover and point of no return are. And like Jimmyz123 said, being centered on the kayak is vital. Be deliberate in your motions. When you turn to get some thing behind you keep your head, shoulders, and spine straight over your hips. If you do feel tippy theres nothing wrong with bending forward and lowering your center of gravity, or even putting one leg out each side of the kayak to help you ballance. I do this some times when it's rough and I need to look down for a while to tie a knot or unhook a fish. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
or even putting one leg out each side of the kayak to help you ballance. I do this some times when it's rough and I need to look down for a while to tie a knot or unhook a fish. Mike
That right there is a great way to increase your stability. Like I said before it's like sitting on a Surfboard or boogie board. You learn to shift your weight to roll with the waves and not roll under them. Obviously when paddling out you're not going to do this, but when bobbing around on the water I'll put my legs out just for the heck of it, not even for balance. Practice, Practice, Practice.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
sdfishbagger
Junior

Thank you all for the encouraging words

Also thank you all for not rubbing me in nub sauce...LOL

Im going back out this Saturday if the weather doesnt really go crazy as planned =/ I do surf as well...Now I can see what you mean about being on one =) I guess the big difference is being afraid of getting wet.

Another thing that gave me a different feeling was the burning in my legs from peddling (even short distance). Im wondering if there is a certain posture to sit in to peddle it as intended...Or If I will be getting used to this too? Or should I take the turbo fins off and use the stock ones....
sdfishbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
Rambo

I've had my fair share of tipping over by leaning too much. Then again the navigator is quite narrow and light. What I can suggest is learn your kayak, knows its capability by testing how far you can lean or twist your body with no gears on your kayak so you don't have to worry about gears lost.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
bigbarrels

did someone say tippy?

I went from an XFActor to an X-13 and it felt way tippy at first but within a couple trips out I was use to it and it paddled like a dream.

Now on a Revo and it was an easy transition from X-13 to the REVO

Good luck getting use to your new ride and hopefully some sleigh rides are in your near future......the Revo feels plenty stable when hooked into a nice fish.