Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Vikingj

DP 6/13/13

Good weather so jb & I headed out on THURS. Very pleasant w/ 65* water temp, light breeze all AM, medium big swells not bad due to long interval, murky waters. I just go along to watch JB pull on the flatties while I take pictures and pick up the by catch (see Two 'Fer report). Very sharky- we both hooked up to 4-5 sharks. I harvested the one below for Jackson who has been begging all year for us to get him a leo for his polynesian b-b-q. This one was 57" & 29lbs and had a 6in "spagetti" tag from Scripps attached near dorsal fin.
Attached Images

Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
DanaPT

Nice work. you guys are an unpredictable wrecking crew out there. I guess your strategy of not sticking w/ the "usual" fishing days or spot is working out nicely for you guys.

Those fish should be nervous.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
mrJB

They will get a reprieve - Wayne is going to harass some fish in Europe. Now I will have no one to throw dead sardines at. As always, good fishing with you Wayne...!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark researcher
Hi everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark researcher
>>
We are two students from Scripps Institution of Oceanography studying leopard shark genetics in California. We are in need of leopard shark tissue samples from north and south of Point Conception. >>
>>
The first location of interest is the Santa Barbara area (also El Capitan and Refugio beaches--really anything between SB and Point Conception). >>
>>
The second location of interest is the Morro Bay area (between Morro Bay and Point Conception). >>
>>
If you are interested in helping us, please take a small tissue sample from any leopard shark you catch (typically a fin clip works perfectly--just cut a tiny piece of the tip of their fin with scissors or a knife--about the size of a pinky finger nail). Please write down the exact location of the catch, approximate size (to nearest foot), and sex (male or female). The fin clip should be put into the freezer within a few hours of collection. We can then arrange pickup or pay for shipping. >>
>>
Please contact ambarker@ucsd.edu with questions or if you happen to get a tissue sample. Thanks so much for your help!!!
>>
>>
If you kept the tag and could get in touch with this person, I am sure he will appreciate it.>>
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
PapaDave

Wayne, I think you guys were in my private reserve.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Vikingj

Re: shark tag. I reported catch data to website printed on tag www.projectleopardshark.org (in case you are interested in viewing).

Unfortunately, I gave shark away before I visited site and saw request for tissue samples and collection of embryos. So just a heads-up if you catch a tagged leo - try to collect fin tissue if released, collect and freeze embryos if you harvest a pregnant female.

PPDave- Yes, I found your secret shark hunting grounds!! Now if I could just find your secret hali hole!

Wayne

Last edited by Vikingj; 06-16-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: missing info
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
makoslayer

awesome! Great job guys

Stealth 14 (Sand Camo)
makoslayer is offline   Reply With Quote