Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
dpasinli

The Lauch

it's been a while, just wondering if the launch is open, can you drop off on the sand, or do you have to park and wheel the kayak to the launch. Any insights greatly appreciated. hoping to get out this weekend, I'll be on an old Olive outback. Thanks!
dpasinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
If you don't have 4wheel drive play it safe......

And use a kayak dollies so you don't get stuck in the sand and block traiffic
If you do have 4wheel drive, the launch is open 7/24
Park in the big parking lot or on the street. Some st are closed due to street sweeping so look for signs and dates. There green 15mim parking at launch before you drive onto the sand.you can load and unload there and go park
Old 09-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

You participating in the JAL tourney? Launch is soft to lightly packed. No need to air down though just wait for a clearing and gas it through the first part which is the most dug up and you should then flow right into the packed stuff near the tide lines. Same thing on the way back up and to the street, gas it and don't stop till you hit the street and you wont have any issues, I load up on a civic coupe and have not had a problem for a while..

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
dpasinli

Cool thanks for the heads up, I have Tacoma but no 4x4...place it safe and would rather not block traffic or get stuck. It's been a minute so probably take me a while to rig up; there's a Tourney this weekend?
dpasinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
Gunner58

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
You participating in the JAL tourney? Launch is soft to lightly packed. No need to air down though just wait for a clearing and gas it through the first part which is the most dug up and you should then flow right into the packed stuff near the tide lines. Same thing on the way back up and to the street, gas it and don't stop till you hit the street and you wont have any issues, I load up on a civic coupe and have not had a problem for a while..

Same here I have a 2wd RAV4 and I have no issues getting to and off the launch. Like Stevie said just get a good running start and do not stop. You will hit the hard stuff before you start to dig in too bad.
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I almost got a ticket from a life guard for going across the sand to fast

In a small pickup.i talked him into a warning
Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
NICKWORN

same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Dude asked how fast do i think i was going. I said, I dont know 10mph maybe at the most. He was pretty pissed and said next time he will right me a ticket.

Also got stuck last monday, did the head start to but you know theres always some tourist walking right in front of the launch causing u to slow, boom thats it, ur stuck. I let air out and doug sand away and was fine. 2wd Tacoma with 2wd rear differential, still got stuck.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
NICKWORN

launching is fine

Its the leaving thats the issue, the crowd is there and you can gun it like you do early in the AM>
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #9
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
Its the leaving thats the issue, the crowd is there and you can gun it like you do early in the AM>
Speed bump - Beep Beep!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Can lifeguards give tickets? They could call a cop, but my last interaction with one, she said all she could do was remind people of the law and hope they comply
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

The life guard said he was going to write a ticket.

I have no clue on there jurisdictions
Good question.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
monstahfish

Whether they can write tickets is irrelevant. We must not piss them off because we want them on our side should we ever have an access issue in the future.

Also big tip on driving in sand, never hit the brakes if you don't have to. Your vehicle will stop itself just by letting off the gas and if you do hit the brakes, it will cause your tires to push sand up in front of you making it harder to get going again.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #13
blazian

They can't give you a ticket. They don't have the authority or even a ticket book, maybe for alchohol.

Last edited by blazian; 09-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Darrell
Junior

Yes they can issue citations as well arrest you. For most serious issues they will call SDPD but as stated below they have powers of arrest. Also on the city website it states the speed limit is 5mph at the launch.

From the citys website:

San Diego Lifeguards are a 24-hour rescue agency whose service area covers approximately 24 miles of coastline from the tip of Point Loma to Torrey Pines and Mission Bay. Lifeguard responsibilities include water rescue, boat rescue, marine fire suppression up to three miles offshore, coastal cliff rescue, underwater search and recovery, swift water and flood search and rescue, and emergency medical response on and around beach, bay and ocean areas. San Diego Lifeguards also handle enforcement of city, state and federal laws and regulations, through prevention, citation and arrest. All full-time lifeguards are classified as peace officers and seasonal lifeguards are classified as public officers, both with the power of arrest. Most enforcement activity however, is related to local ordinances concerning beach and water use.
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #15
blazian

i'd like to see their radar gun
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote