Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
FishRaiden
CEO-TacticalFishingCrew.

Bycatch & release.

Headed out to the Long Beach Inner Harbor to drift for big Butts & toss a few lures.

We didnt hook up on a single butt, but while tossing Big Hammers towards the surf, my line tightens up. Im thinking ive snagged some trash at the bottom floor, so a wind a few cranks then, ZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZZZZZZ goes my drag on my 200E Chronarch

Kayak starts turning, line keeps spooling, then the mystery fish sits dead weight on the bottom.

I end up in this position for 15 or so mins.

Then it makes another big run, towing me a few yards, and we sit in this position.

Not much I can do at this point since my leader was only 12lb flouro. It makes a few more runs, then surfaces with a wing span of 3+ feet.

After 30mins of losing the fight, I cut the line cause I wasnt able to gain any line from it.

(I felt like Jeremy Wade fighting a Sting Ray in Thailand.)

Was really hoping I can break in my new gaff that Daryl (Tin Slayer 28) made me. Sweet work & thanks again bro!

#DropLuresNotBait
FishRaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Jeremy does it with heaver tackle, you did it the fun way. BTW your gaff looks like mine only different colors. They are a FINE fishing tool.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
CobraTandem

So was that a batray? If so, could you tell if it bit the big hammer or snagged? Whatever, that is great practice for the big butt you're gonna catch.

I've seen decent sized halibut actually breaching in that area chasing smelt while I was fishing off the rocks. Those three jetties are where my dad brought me up fishing (worth a mention since today is father's day).
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
FishRaiden
CEO-TacticalFishingCrew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Jeremy does it with heaver tackle, you did it the fun way. BTW your gaff looks like mine only different colors. They are a FINE fishing tool.
Its always more fun on the lighter gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraTandem View Post
So was that a batray? If so, could you tell if it bit the big hammer or snagged? Whatever, that is great practice for the big butt you're gonna catch.

I've seen decent sized halibut actually breaching in that area chasing smelt while I was fishing off the rocks. Those three jetties are where my dad brought me up fishing (worth a mention since today is father's day).
From the way it ran and surfaced the couple of times, im pretty sure it was a Bat Ray. It almost wanted to jump out of the water 20' in front of me.

Yeah, ive caught a couple nice legal Butts in this area before. Lots of birds diving near the shore today, tons of bait. Just wished a Butt wouldve taken one of our baits today. Next time.
#DropLuresNotBait
FishRaiden is offline   Reply With Quote