Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Feeding the dogs in Newport

That is all I was doing today, the wife and I went to the barge to catch some mackerel, but the dogs were robbing me blind. I ended up with three spanish. I was going to go out and meet some guys who were fishing some rocks for rock fish but my new bait tank make my yak real sluggish. You wouldn't think that 40lbs of water would make that much difference but it really slowed me down so I stayed in the harbor. I did talk with a couple of guys from BWE that did go out and didn't catch anything out side the harbor either. I really need a better yak though, the ascend felt like it was wallowing bad with the extra weight in it. It also made it sit down enough in the back that my butt got soaked from water not going out the scuppers. The plus side of that is once your pants are wet all bets are off for finding a restroom.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Rambo

Thanks for the report. I was thinking of hitting newport for some rockfish also but i might think twice about hitting newport tomorrow now. What's the weight capacity for one of those ascend kayak?
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
King Saba

Darn. A day on the water is still a good time though. How did you get the spanish? I've only fished the kelp around NPH once and didn't encounter any that day.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Harry Hill

The Ascend is rated at 350, I'm 200 and the water was about 40, but with the over flow going into the back of the boat and out the scuppers I'm guessing I had another 40lbs of water to boot. I'll put an over flow line on the tank and see if things feel better. I know I lost 1 mph of paddle speed. Last week I could paddle at 2.9 mph and today I had to work hard to get 1.9, and it felt like I was dragging an anchor.
You can catch all the mackerel you want at the bait barge but the sea dogs keep and eye on you and grab them fast if you don't get them right into your boat. The other problem is if the dogs see you land one they hang around your boat waiting for you to get another one. I had to paddle away and then come back. I went to the far side of the barge so the dogs couldn't see me and would catch one but as soon as I drifted where the dogs could see me they started hanging around my boat again. I was catching the mackerel on frozen achovie pieces.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
King Saba

Thanks Harry. How do you take on so much water? Are your hatches leaky? Perhaps a crack exists somewhere in you yak?
Old 10-31-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Thanks Harry. How do you take on so much water? Are your hatches leaky? Perhaps a crack exists somewhere in you yak?
I thought I took on water also but when I got home I turned the yak over and pulled the drain plug and their was no water in it. The bait tank is about 5 gallons so I figure 40lbs there, but it doesn't have a drain hose, just a bunch of holes drilled at the top so all the water drains into the back of the boat and is supposed to go out the scuppers, they just don't seem to drain fast enough with the extra weight in the boat. I'm not crazy about this boat, it's pretty wide and every time I turn around it seems like the bottom is deformed creating extra drag, plus even a little chop comes over the bow and has to drain out the scuppers. I am putting a drain hose on the bait tank this week and will see if dumping over the side makes a difference. The seat needs to be higher or I have to get used to having a wet butt every time the boat gets some water in it. I guess I could wear depends and then just guess if the wet is self caused or water in the boat
Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
King Saba

It's probably the bait tank. 1 gal = 8lbs. For my stealth I occasionally get water around the seat, but having a cushion elevates me slightly so I don't usually get too wet.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Seems like you're not happy with that kayak because it doesn't perform the way you need it to. You should look at selling it and picking up a another yak. I've only been kayaking 3 years but I've upgraded 3 times already. That's how it goes, the first yak sometimes is just to see if kayak fishing is something you want to stick with. My first yak was a Stealth-12 which some guys love, but it wasn't cutting it for me for various reasons. Point is just go find what works for you. Upgrade to something that does what you need and you'll be happier. If you're having problems now just in the bay, it's not going to get any easier in the swell and chop. There's a few good options at various price points and the experts here will no doubt give you good advice on your next kayak.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:49 AM   #9
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Seems like you're not happy with that kayak because it doesn't perform the way you need it to. You should look at selling it and picking up a another yak. I've only been kayaking 3 years but I've upgraded 3 times already. That's how it goes, the first yak sometimes is just to see if kayak fishing is something you want to stick with. My first yak was a Stealth-12 which some guys love, but it wasn't cutting it for me for various reasons. Point is just go find what works for you. Upgrade to something that does what you need and you'll be happier. If you're having problems now just in the bay, it's not going to get any easier in the swell and chop. There's a few good options at various price points and the experts here will no doubt give you good advice on your next kayak.
that is what my plans are. I bought the ascend because of the price and good reviews from lake fisherman. Once I bought it though I realized how sluggish it handles and how we the ride is. One problem is I don't live close to the beach areas so every thing is a trip. I need to go by some of the shops and see if I can try some out, test drive so to speak.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
tamddo714

Hobie all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamddo714 View Post
Hobie all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was watching the hobie guys yesterday, looks like a great way to kayak but I'm and old retired guy with a limited budget so it doesn't look like a hobie is in my future. Besides I like the exercise I'm getting with the paddle. It did look like the guys with the hobies could concentrate on fishing a little more but I do alright with the paddle.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
King Saba

I'm in the same boat as you Harry, for now anyways, unemployed college student . A drift sock/chute is one way to hold a position for a longer period so you don't always have to readjust your position.