Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
warburto

November 1st LJ noob report

Here's the noob report for the La Jolla kelp for Sunday. We launched at 6:45 to a slight offshore wind and ankle slappers. Headed straight for the reserve line where we made bait fairly easily (all jack/spanish mackerel, no greens to be found). We dragged the bait around along the northern kelp line, with lots of pauses to flip pastics and jigs, but for no love on anything. Dogs took bait several times. Mid-day my buddy caught a bonito on a dead in the water floating rapala while he was messing with something else. I caught a short calico on a waxwing 88. Although not officially a skunk, still smelled pretty skunky to me.

Water temp was still warm, reading 70 on the FF.

Otherwise a beautiful day on the water. Winds shifted around noon to give us a nice push into the beach.

This is my 5th time out at LJ, and no keeper YT yet. Any hints or encouragement would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Last edited by warburto; 11-02-2015 at 08:13 AM.
warburto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by warburto View Post
Here's the noob report for the La Jolla kelp for Sunday. We launched at 6:45 to a slight offshore wind and ankle slappers. Headed straight for the reserve line where we made bait fairly easily (all jack/spanish mackerel, no greens to be found). We dragged the bait around along the northern kelp line, with lots of pauses to flip pastics and jigs, but for no love on anything. Dogs took bait several times. Mid-day my buddy caught a bonito on a dead in the water floating rapala while he was messing with something else. I caught a short calico on a waxwing 88. Although not officially a skunk, still smelled pretty skunky to me.

Water temp was still warm, reading 70 on the FF.

Otherwise a beautiful day on the water. Winds shifted around noon to give us a nice push into the beach.

This is my 5th time out at LJ, and no keeper YT yet. Any hints or encouragement would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Best suggestion i can give is to not get discouraged, I did something like 15 trips to lj before I caught anything and I'm 100 miles away. A few years ago I went roughly 6-7 months without catching a single fish, everyone around me was catching them while I was watching.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Goose1993

Don't get discouraged. Yellowtail can be caught year round at LJ, but it is November so it won't be as easy as August .
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

No worries, I was out there with you also. I caught loads of bait and didn't catch a thing..fish took a run a couple times but being out there is better than being on land watching T.V. I went out 9 times before finally getting my first YT..and I tell you what after putting in all that work and time on the water, once I finally caught it...it made it all worth it and felt great that I kept at it and it paid off.
Hit me up I will start having some time off the next few weeks and will be going out there some more. I heard that once water hits 65 degrees to start using 3 way swivel and get it down lower..I'm pretty new at this too, just started in March. If you really want to network and meet some people the Heroes on the Water event is this Saturday..I met a bunch of guys from here at the event, plus it's great to help out veterans like myself!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
ctfphoto

Some take a year and a half to get their first yellow (me) while others around are nailing it in wide open bites.

Others get two on their very first trip.

I have found, the guys who work the hardest, seem to enjoy the sport the most.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
monstahfish

Don't feel bad. It took me 5 months to get my first. I've since caught a whole bunch and score almost everytime but it was realllll slow yesterday.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

I paid with hundreds of dollars of gear and many hours before i landed my first yellow, don't worry it will come.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
FISH11

Talking

I was out there also and like all said. Made some bait but not too many, trolled around west, north, south. Managed to keep some of the bait for hours but finally lost all then to the frick** furbags. Started to go in and went back into the kelp edge made more bait and stayed out till 4:25pm Other than bait I was also skunked. Only had a couple of light hits and something took my bait on the bottom at 120' once. Saw Ryan (kjsdad619) a couple of times and talked to him once. My second trip out on the Cuda 14 and it was a hell of a lot better than 2 weeks ago in 3-5 foot surf and washing machine conditions out at the fishing ground. Yesterday was super calm an no swell to speak of. Got a good sunburn on my face because I forgot my Buff and also the sunblock. Being that fishing was slow I finished all 5 beers I took out there and wished I had brought more. Keep at it, the fish will come, it sure beats work or watching the local team loose again.
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 11-02-2015 at 06:10 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

Sunday was tough fishing, I was out there as well, and although the weather showed up in an epic way, the fishing, not so much. Just seemed to me that the water current wasn't moving enough for fish to be active. Watching my gps and trying to drift, I was barely moving on the screen zoomed way in. The most successful trips Ive had were days where current is ripping. Stay at it.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Harry Hill

Newport was bad on Saturday also, the water was only 66 and crystal clear. I could see the bottom everyplace in the bay. I could watch the little fish pester my squid without taking it.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Was the same deal at Dana Point over the weekend. The current (and wind) was so slack that I was drifting at only 0.2 mph in the afternoon. Plenty of bait but no good action for me. One of the party boats must have been slow too, never seen them anchor on the Pipe before.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #12
cell128
lizard king

A few of us went out on Saturday to Newport for rockfish. Wasn't bad for us. Jesse landed a set of huge reds. It was my bad day for me though. Only 2 good sized rockfish, one nice whitefish and a keeper sandbass. LJ has shown no love for me 😧
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #13
phisher_man bossin-it
Junior

Bottom fish were biting sunday...those are the only bites I could salvage...one lingcod(28") live Spanish on bottom, one BIG rockfish on a whole squid drifting bottom and a couple calicos along kelp...definitely not a yt day
phisher_man bossin-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:16 AM   #14
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Damn Mark, we should of linked up! I also forgot my buff..well found it on railing of my truck..good job. I'll be there Saturday for HOw...you going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I was out there also and like all said. Made some bait but not too many, trolled around west, north, south. Managed to keep some of the bait for hours but finally lost all then to the frick** furbags. Started to go in and went back into the kelp edge made more bait and stayed out till 4:25pm Other than bait I was also skunked. Only had a couple of light hits and something took my bait on the bottom at 120' once. Saw Ryan (kjsdad619) a couple of times and talked to him once. My second trip out on the Cuda 14 and it was a hell of a lot better than 2 weeks ago in 3-5 foot surf and washing machine conditions out at the fishing ground. Yesterday was super calm an no swell to speak of. Got a good sunburn on my face because I forgot my Buff and also the sunblock. Being that fishing was slow I finished all 5 beers I took out there and wished I had brought more. Keep at it, the fish will come, it sure beats work or watching the local team loose again.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
A few of us went out on Saturday to Newport for rockfish. Wasn't bad for us. Jesse landed a set of huge reds. It was my bad day for me though. Only 2 good sized rockfish, one nice whitefish and a keeper sandbass. LJ has shown no love for me 😧
I talked with you guys before we launched, glad to see someone did good. I wasn't happy with the way my yak was handling so I didn't follow you guys out of the harbor. I definitely need a different boat.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #16
batfish
Junior

It took me over a year to get my first YT. Just have to keep going out and learn the area. At least you did not end up in the ER getting a treble hook removed from your fingers.
batfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsdad619 View Post
Damn Mark, we should of linked up! I also forgot my buff..well found it on railing of my truck..good job. I'll be there Saturday for HOw...you going?
I'm still trying to find someone at work to trade, because If I tried to take it off we would be short handed. I hope I can make it, I also had to work the last event. I sure would like a schedule were I don't have to work period! Then I would have all the time I would need to fish.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #18
warburto

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I've spent the last couple of days down the rabbit hole that is the forum archives of this site. I've been able to answer a bunch of questions that were on my mind about how common the hammerheads were, what sabiki techniques to use, what good trolling baits were, and also found a thread directly addressing a question I had about using older Penn reels. Finally, I found MrGregAndrew's amazing videos. Other noobs, I strongly suggest going to his youtube channel when you have a spare hour or two. It's awesome.

The site truly has a wealth of knowledge about the sport. I'm looking forward to spending some more time picking through it.

Cheers!
warburto is offline   Reply With Quote