Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #1
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Concerning la jolla kayak launch area

Was wondering if the water at the launching area was closed for bathers not swimmer's that swim to the cove. A few times I have come in and people standing in the water right where I want to come in, they have no clue how easy it is to flip over and smack them with a fishing pole.I'm going to talk to the lifeguards and ask if that area is closed.....last thing I need is a collision with someone.I have been coming in backwards which makes it even worse Your input is welcome.....

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-25-2016 at 09:07 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
kirkdavis

Another question

I am also curious about the beach just south of the launch. I landed there once, and some guy in a buggy told me I was not allowed to land there. Is it really a private beach or are there rules against landing there. I have a suspicion that they are just trying to intimidate people, without having any legal standing.
Anybody in the know???
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
I am also curious about the beach just south of the launch. I landed there once, and some guy in a buggy told me I was not allowed to land there. Is it really a private beach or are there rules against landing there. I have a suspicion that they are just trying to intimidate people, without having any legal standing.
Anybody in the know???
I landed just south of the official landing area once because there were so many people in the way. Same situation - life guards came up to me several times to tell me I cant land there. They were actually quite rude about it. I have no idea what truth is, and honestly really dont care. If people are constantly in the way, I am going to land where its safe and not risk hitting anyone. They can take there rules and fish with them.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I was born in San Diego

And la jolla boat launch was there way before me I would say since primitive times....I don't want someone getting hurt from a kayak or boat fishermen I cut off all my jigs and and secure everything, no scent trail everytime I come into the beach.The beach is public domain with laws.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-25-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The LJ Shores boat launch area is the only place in San Diego County where one can legally drive a vehicle on the beach and launch a boat. As far as I know, it is not closed to swimmers, at least it never was when I was a lifeguard on that beach many years ago.

Due to the nearby canyon, it is also a popular place for divers to enter the water. Always has been. Divers are swimmers... sort of. Many of the tourists who patronize the kayak rental services spend as much their time in the water chasing the kayak that they have just fallen out of. Again swimmers, sort of.

Normally swimmers, divers, kayakers and other boaters figure out a way to coexist but at high tide on a crowded summer day, this can be a real challenge.

South of the launch is the Beach and Tennis Club. Established in 1927 it is one of the few private beaches in San Diego. The club is responsible for the area and for the safety of their guests when swimming on their beach. They do not take kindly to kayaks trespassing on their property thus the attitude that you experienced.

The bottom line is that it is what it is. Not a great situation but it is what we have.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
kirkdavis

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The LJ Shores boat launch area is the only place in San Diego County where one can legally drive a vehicle on the beach and launch a boat. As far as I know, it is not closed to swimmers, at least it never was when I was a lifeguard on that beach many years ago.

Due to the nearby canyon, it is also a popular place for divers to enter the water. Always has been. Divers are swimmers... sort of. Many of the tourists who patronize the kayak rental services spend as much their time in the water chasing the kayak that they have just fallen out of. Again swimmers, sort of.

Normally swimmers, divers, kayakers and other boaters figure out a way to coexist but at high tide on a crowded summer day, this can be a real challenge.

South of the launch is the Beach and Tennis Club. Established in 1927 it is one of the few private beaches in San Diego. The club is responsible for the area and for the safety of their guests when swimming on their beach. They do not take kindly to kayaks trespassing on their property thus the attitude that you experienced.

The bottom line is that it is what it is. Not a great situation but it is what we have.

Bob
Thanks for the Information and history lesson. I will try not to infringe on the private beach in the future. There is a wealth of knowledge among the members of this forum.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Quote:

Bob
Nice.
Just want to add that we should do what we can and not be confrontational -to lgs or ljb&tc. Last thing we want is the perception that kayak fisherman are the problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
yemff

Quote:

Bob
As far as I know the beach below the mean high tide line is public land.
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
iethinker

Yeah

So about six weeks ago, I dodged some swimmers there and ended up landing outside of the yellow pole to the south. Of course the lifeguards were there to chastise me for not using the designated boat launch area.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #10
Reiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemff View Post
As far as I know the beach below the mean high tide line is public land.
That is correct. Any private beach in this state ends where the sand is wet or damp. All beaches below the high tide line are public
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
taggermike

Don't know the legalities but a few times this summer I have seen the LGs telling the rental boogie boarders and snorkelers to move out of the launch area. Not often tho. Landings are hard enough some times with out having to dodge clueless folks.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Each city can impose their own rules for their beaches. Many popular surf beaches will have no swimming or wading rules. The same seems to be true of the LJ kayak and skiff launch. I have heard the LGs, several times, tell swimmers, skin divers and waders they need to move out of the area. Same with them telling kayakers not to launch/land North of the last rental kayak area (surfing) or South of the telephone poles (private). They also keep visitors from camping on the beach access roads. Generally they are not going to bother with most of these rules, except when the place gets busy and it can be dangerous. With the popularity of kayaking and paddle boarding, it is only going to get worse with all the competing companies putting more gear on the beaches. Better to learn to roll with the punches and educate other folks loading on the beach how and where to park and load. And go early to save yourself half the frustration.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

A sign that say........

No wading allowed in kayak launching area would be nicegood information thanks.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-25-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #14
skrilla

Swimmers 5 points. Boogie boarders 10 points. Chick with at least C cups 50 points. Bonus round if you snag their top.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #15
FISH11

About a month ago, when I landed at the launch area and was loading up my gear on my truck. A lifeguard comes up and tell me that even thought it's not posted there is a 15 minute time limit for loading up kayaks. I was a bit pissed because I had only been there 10 to 15 minutes and a lot shorter time then some other I saw. He pointed to the same on the street even though I see cars left there for hours. I don't have a problem as long as they enforced the rules on others. Sometimes the rental outfits take too much of the area and there is definitely a problem with bathers. I told the lifeguard that I had complaint about the bathers that stand in the water at the launch or are playing on boogie boards. He agreed that it is not a swiming area and I asked him to pass it on to his boss, that often we almost hit people who aren't paying attention. I think they should station a lifeguard at the area to warn bathers away and keep tabs on the rental outfits as heir clients come in all over the place. I'm glad summer is over and the numbers of people there will be less.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
About a month ago, when I landed at the launch area and was loading up my gear on my truck. A lifeguard comes up and tell me that even thought it's not posted there is a 15 minute time limit for loading up kayaks. I was a bit pissed because I had only been there 10 to 15 minutes and a lot shorter time then some other I saw. He pointed to the same on the street even though I see cars left there for hours. I don't have a problem as long as they enforced the rules on others. Sometimes the rental outfits take too much of the area and there is definitely a problem with bathers. I told the lifeguard that I had complaint about the bathers that stand in the water at the launch or are playing on boogie boards. He agreed that it is not a swiming area and I asked him to pass it on to his boss, that often we almost hit people who aren't paying attention. I think they should station a lifeguard at the area to warn bathers away and keep tabs on the rental outfits as heir clients come in all over the place. I'm glad summer is over and the numbers of people there will be less.
Did someone just write a story "Liberals Gone Crazy - Beach Edition"? This sounds like a joke. What is next, no beach chairs? This kind of ridiculousness really drives me nuts.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #17
LSmoot

The crowds are the very reason I'm going to buy a kayak light to go night fishing. Fishing when sun is down = easy parking/no crowds. Same goes with Mission Bay and SD Bay. I agree it will be nice when summer winds down. Been looking at the webcams everyday noticing slightly fewer people the last few days.
LSmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:08 AM   #18
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

My issue was waders......

Wanting to look at Leopard sharks while I was coming in they were clueless I had to yell please move a sign should be posted no wading in kayak launch area.....