Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
goldenglory18

Let's talk rust prevention

How are you guys keeping rust off your terminal tackle? I thought I've been pretty good about washing off everything and using the water tight plano trays, but STILL I'm noticing signs of corrosion.

So, what's the secret from all you old salty dogs?
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Could open and rinse off your plano tackle boxes just like you do your rods/reels, then dump the water... rusty hooks still catch fish though aint no thang
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
taggermike

I rinse my tackle and let it dry spread out on a towel. I don't bring much gear so less to rust. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
GTboosted

Main thing that helped me was that I do not put tackle back in the trays after using them. I just leave everything that got wet next to my seat and later place it in a bag or bin to take it home. I then throw all lures, reels, and rods in the tub and shower with them

If I am lazy I will leave everything to air dry in there but sometimes I bring them out onto a towel too. Once everything is fully dried I place the lures, hooks, and such back into the trays.

Seems to be the best so far. I used to let the lures and hook air dry on the kayak and then place them back into the trays for the trip home. Then I would rinse the entire trays. There was way more rust with this method...

Last edited by GTboosted; 06-08-2017 at 12:28 PM.
GTboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Main thing that helped me was that I do not put tackle back in the trays after using them.
Exactly right. Putting used tackle back into a sealed box just seals the moisture in and makes everything inside rust.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
Hunters Pa

Take those little desiccant packs that come with shoes, textiles, just about anything - you know, "silica gel - do not eat" - and throw those in with your tackle. Change out when you get new ones.

I have some bigger ones I keep in my reel bins as well
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Reiner

Same here. Never put a wet or unwashed lure back in the tray. Once at home I rinse them with warm water and hang them in the bushes in the backyard for drying.
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
Bruntoj

Sharks and Dogs have been taking away most of my hooks and flat falls before they get rusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:28 AM   #9
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Take those little desiccant packs that come with shoes, textiles, just about anything - you know, "silica gel - do not eat
Thats a great idea. Dont they also make rust inhibitor backs/things as well? Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHanded View Post
Could open and rinse off your plano tackle boxes just like you do your rods/reels, then dump the water... rusty hooks still catch fish though aint no thang
I've been trying that but it seems to have gotten worse. I wonder if I'm not letting it dry thoroughly enough....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Main thing that helped me was that I do not put tackle back in the trays after using them. I just leave everything that got wet next to my seat and later place it in a bag or bin to take it home...
That might be the root cause. Then if there is any undetected corrosion thats started, it spreads.

Good call guys. Funny how something so trivial can potentially cause so much damage.

Do you guys do anything to stop it once it starts? Isn't WD-40 a rust inhibitor?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

I drilled a bunch of small holes in all of my plano boxes. It aerates my tackle enough to not rust.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Take out only what I will need for the day. Keep fresh new hooks, etc., at home on the shelf. Replace frequently.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #12
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I drilled a bunch of small holes in all of my plano boxes. It aerates my tackle enough to not rust.
Oh, thats a great idea for the non-sealed ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Take out only what I will need for the day. Keep fresh new hooks, etc., at home on the shelf. Replace frequently.
That's another problem I have. I used to tournament fish, so I'm accustomed to having everything with me I might need at any point in time. Its been great for lake fishing but it's gonna cost me a ton in the salt if everything I own keeps rusting....
Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #13
skrilla

Throw it down the gutter... go buy another...
Old 06-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #14
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
Throw it down the gutter... go buy another...
I did actually just throw about $100 worth of terminal away. Rust is a disease and it totally infected my hooks and swivels.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
bwana

Don't buy blems.

The real deal lasts longer.

Common sense says take what you need, rinse & dry everything
each trip. Use quality saltwater rated gear. Perform regular maintenance
on your reels. Everything goes into a bucket of fresh water and then hung to dry.
Flush bait tank bilge pump with fresh water. Use saltwater corrision inhibitor on
all electronic connections. Use silicon lube on seals and gaskets.

Most my gear is over 15 years old and still works like new. Same radio, scuba knife,
fish finder, reels, seat, PFD, drift sock, net, paddle leash, scuba retractors, NRS boots,
hand-held emergency pump, compass, pliers.

Recently had to replace a 10 year old bilge pump on my bait tank that finally wore out.

Jim Sammons recommended the Holt-It plier holder. I've been using it for over 10 years.
It is mounted to the hatch in front of me. Your spay inside of it with WD-40 and it absorbs it.
Leave pliers mounted inside. Occasionally refill with WD-40. I am using the same
pair of pliers for the last 10 years and still good as new inside this holder. I only take the pliers
out when I need to use it.

bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Do you guys do anything to stop it once it starts? Isn't WD-40 a rust inhibitor?
Some people use that along with a bunch of other sprays. I would be afraid of putting of fish with the scent...
Old 06-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #17
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Barkeepers Friend dissolves off rust. It's oxalic acid, non-abrasive, gentle. Tap a little BF in some water and make a solution. Let it do it's thing without scrubbing. The powder drops out of the water to make a sediment layer on the bottom, so it has to be swirled around occasionally.

Overnight soak in vinegar will remove rust completely. Straight vinegar or diluted with water doesn't seem to make much difference. I do that with tools and car parts. They come out so clean they rust faster the next time, so they need to be coated with something.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #18
goldenglory18

Thanks for the info guys.

I've gone and picked up some sheets of VCI Inhibitor, thoroughly dried out my gear again, and have put the Inhibitor in each of my trays with metal.

Link for anyone thats fighting the same battle..... https://www.amazon.com/VCI-Pro-Chips...rust+inhibitor
Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #19
Sheephead

I too had your problem. Then I started taking less tackle (if you have a decent idea how to catch your target you'll know exactly what you'll need, no need bringing 10lbs of stuff).

On the other hand, I've noticed washing my hooks/ swivels with freshwater and air drying or even applying WD40 after dried increases rust growth. Now I don't wash my hooks and they last with very minimal rust until the point is dull from catching so many fish!
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #20
tootall

One of the best thing that will remove any salt water from your gear is Distilled Water. It contains zero to trace level in salt. Put the water in a garden pump sprayer or 1 quart hand sprayer and all items that were in contact with salt water.
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote