Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
boxturtle

malibu kayak x factor trolling motor experience and rigging

So thinking about picking up an x factor and rigging it with a trolling motor. Already have a small skiff for when I go out with a buddy. I want a setup that I can take out myself w/out a trailer. On Fridays I want to just take off from work but no parking for car and trailer. So budget wise the x factor fits the bill.
For those who had one setup with a trolling motor what was your experience? I'm debating on either doing a bassyak like setup in the rear or do that support bar and placing it on the side just behind the seat. The con of it in the rear is if I get kelp tangled up. Also it's more work to setup it up like that. The side mount would be easier and I imagine if kelp get tangled it be easier to untangle. My concern is will having the motor on one side make the kayak unbalance....think I need a counter balance on the other side?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Mahigeer

I don't have any experience with motor, but I have a 14' Xfactor for sale.

However, not before the first of the year, if you can wait.

I have not too actively tried to sell it. Only add in here.

You might be able to see pictures, if Fotobucket let me do it.

PM me for more information.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
DanaPT

I had the Xfactor motorized. Used a deep cycle very heavy battery. The Minn Kota had 3 or 4 forward speeds and a couple of reverse speeds. Rear mount with foot cables for steering. I purchased used and the set-up/ install was really nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXkw471NKgs : Kayak in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDGTuRUTbGQ : Kayak walk around

this was my first kayak. Xfactor is super stable, easy to stand, would sometimes take my kid (7 year old at the time) on the gator hatch. I think there is a 300 lb weight capacity.

Having the motor was nice but it would never really last the whole day. i'd get maybe 5 or 7 miles of tooling around and would ultimately have to use the paddle to make it in. Forget a surf launch with a 30lb battery in the front hatch, hard to get moving. Worst wipe out was with the trolling motor to this day. The worst part of the motor is having a live bait getting line wrapped around the prop. Pain to crawl to the rear of the boat and dismount the motor and untangle, time waster. As time progressed, many of the connections were corroded and had to work on rewiring and replacing the "throttle" switch. Stuff just rusts out over time.

No regrets upgrading to the Hobie outback. Good luck.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
boxturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I had the Xfactor motorized. Used a deep cycle very heavy battery. The Minn Kota had 3 or 4 forward speeds and a couple of reverse speeds. Rear mount with foot cables for steering. I purchased used and the set-up/ install was really nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXkw471NKgs : Kayak in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDGTuRUTbGQ : Kayak walk around

this was my first kayak. Xfactor is super stable, easy to stand, would sometimes take my kid (7 year old at the time) on the gator hatch. I think there is a 300 lb weight capacity.

Having the motor was nice but it would never really last the whole day. i'd get maybe 5 or 7 miles of tooling around and would ultimately have to use the paddle to make it in. Forget a surf launch with a 30lb battery in the front hatch, hard to get moving. Worst wipe out was with the trolling motor to this day. The worst part of the motor is having a live bait getting line wrapped around the prop. Pain to crawl to the rear of the boat and dismount the motor and untangle, time waster. As time progressed, many of the connections were corroded and had to work on rewiring and replacing the "throttle" switch. Stuff just rusts out over time.

No regrets upgrading to the Hobie outback. Good luck.
any problems with kelp?
Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxturtle View Post
any problems with kelp?
Yes the motor is about 6 inches below the surface. So gliding over kelp is not an option. I had a hand pulley, so if I saw the kelp in advance no problem. If I didn't than had to monkey with clearing. The eel grass was a problem. It would get deep in the drive of the prop.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Saba Slayer

Yaks and Motors...

IMHO...this is just my opinion and that's about all it's worth...

Over the years I've had many electric motors on my kayaks...
The first was the simplest... a "side mount" MinKota or Motor Guide trolling motor attached with the regular hand twist knobs on an aluminum L bracket that was bolted to the kayak deck just behind the seat well and in front of the rear tank well. A 'heavy' deep cycle Group 24 12V battery was installed in the tank well and it worked pretty well and lasted a long time, especially if you were judicious with your speed and use. This set-up was installed on a OK Malibu II and a Cobra F&D.
During my last few years with the OK Fishing Team they came out with the Torque kayak with the electric motor system...I loved it and with my accelerating arthritis in my hands and wrists it was just what I needed..! But it still used the heavy batteries.
Since I've been on the Hobie fishing team I've seen the Torqueedo motor system which is great... but pretty it's expensive for the regular guy and kind of complicated.
I've built a Motor Guide system that used the Hobie cassette for the Mirage Drive (it worked great...although it was a little tricky to get it through the Mirage hole) and I've tried the Water Snake motor...it was inexpensive, small and light...but it didn't last long. Both systems used the Big Heavy group 24 12V batteries.

I've been using the Bixpy Jet Motor and their lithium battery system for the last year or so and it's been great
Bixpy has both a rear mount and a Mirage Drive mount...I tried the rear mount which allows the use of the Mirage drive peddles...I prefer this mount when in fresh water lakes and salt water areas without any Eel Grass or Kelp...but when out in open salt water areas I really like to be able to get to the motor to clear the kelp and grass....it's almost impossible to clear that stuff when the motor is mounted 8' or 10' behind you.
Good Luck...PM me if you need more info.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 11-27-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
boxturtle

thanks Jim in another life when I didn't have kids or a wife lol I was able to try all the hobie and outback w/ torqeedo I had no compliant what so ever just the price
Back to reality I want to use what I already have. I have a nice minn kota in the garage just itching to be used. So I will try that 1st probably will do the behind the seat rig. Sounds the most simplest way to go. Bixby looks very appealing if I had a hobie that would definitely the route I would go
Old 11-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

mount

Just bolt a 3" x 3" aluminum angle to the kayak and let it extend out to one side with just enough clearance to tilt the motor...and then mount your motor with the clamps and you should be good to go...
A good Group 24 battery won't be cheap, but it should last you a long enough time if you don't go blasting around at full speed...don't run it down all the way and keep it charged and it should last a while.
Good Luck...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote