Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Kleake
Junior

Looking to build or buy a bait tank

Hello everyone,
I've been searching over the past month for the perfect solution for a livewell tank. I have a 2015 hobie pro angler 14. I'm trying to stray away from paying $305 for a hobie tank so I'm open to options. I've been looking at the pet containers from pet smart and I'd like a little more info from the guys using these. I'm just wondering if it's wide enough to mount both the pump and drain inside the container to give it that clean look? I'm not a fan of the pump being exposed over the side of the kayak like I've seen in videos.
Kleake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
CheapPelican

In the larger containers there is, but the bait bumps into whatever is in the tank. Better to just mount the pump on the outside. Form follows function.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150601_220833.jpg (57.9 KB, 179 views)
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Kleake
Junior

Thanks for taking the time to post a picture. Would you recommend the food container over the hobie bait tank?
Old 06-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
LawDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleake View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post a picture. Would you recommend the food container over the hobie bait tank?
Well, they do the same exact thing. And you can buy the food container tank for $200 new. I Got mine used and have abused the heck outa it for the past 4-5 years. With not a single issue. You can build it relatively cheep, but it's still not free. Parts run well over $100 alone. Unless your really dedicated to saving a couple dollars, just either buy new or used.

The only thing I don't like is that there are 6 drilled holes in the top portion to allow over flow water to escape. Into your kayak and out the scuppers. I think I'd prefer a drain tube I can bail into the water opposite the pump hose. I just think it would be a bit more quiet.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
taggermike

If you comfortable with the building process making your own tank its pretty easy. The hobie tanks are great. $300 great, i dont know. But the No muss or fuss, basicly drop in and go is handy. The vittles vault tanks are popular and work well. There are lots of tutorials on making them. In a PA size and weight aren't much of an issue so you could make a great tank. Like pelican said, the less stuff in the tank the better and its not hard to make. Maybe study lots of photos and bids of tanks and brain storm. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
taggermike

When I started yak fishing everything was DIY. For my first tank I thought about what the perfect tank would be. I even talked to a guy that makes tanks for sports boats. I had a cobra FnD so size n weight didn't really matter. Tank was 8 gallons and round. It was low n wide so the volumn was usable to the fish. (Fish dont circle vertically). I built a combing on top so I could run the tank to the top with out water sloshing out. Pump and stand pipe were out side the tank. Pump pulled throuh a scupper and stand pipe went over the side. I had an adjustable inlet at the top to control current spin and a drain at the bottom so scales would flush out. Best tank I have ever used or seen. Kept every thing from little chovies to big mack alive and well all day I switched to a OK prowler 15 and the tank was way too heavy. Wish I still had that tank. Hope this may help if you want to buildva dream tank. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleake View Post
I do but they are not perfect either. The vittles vault in the picture is turned on its back, putting the molded in handles in a location where bait can run into it as well. The smaller vittles vaults handles are high enough to be above the water line but you don't have much room for larger macks/dines. If you go this route make it so you can disassemble the plumbing to the aerator so you can clear any obstructions.

The problem with the Hobie tanks is that bait likes to wedge itself between the wall and pump/overflow. I don't know about other models but mine uses nylock nuts on the inside of the tank to secure the rod holders and these bust up the noses of the bait. Also it can be a pain to clear the impeller if you suck something up.

One solution i found was to cut out the bottom of a plastic tote and drop it in the tank to act as a sleeve to shield bait from everything protuding. Worked great but you loose area for the bait to swim around in. Unfortunately I ended up dropping something on the sleeve and breaking it. Haven't been able to find the right size since.

This is the best bait tank solution.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
inbx3

PM Jimmyz123, he used to make these and sell them pretty cheap. I have a smaller one and it works fine. Not sure if he still does but I'm sure he can help you one way or another. Good luck.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Kleake
Junior

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm a little overwhelmed by the information but I think I'm leaning towards building my own. I like the sleak clean look of the hobie but I don't like the idea of my bait becoming stuck. Also with the OEX overflowing into the kayak doesn't sound all that great either. I'd like to see the new hobie XL tank or at least find a box comparable that I could build one from.

Tags
bait tank, hobie, kayak, live bait, livewell