Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
prowlerdude

YMCA Kayak Camp for kids???

Im going to post this on several boards so I apologize in advance

Were picking out camps for my 7 year old's summer. I see that the YMCA has a kayak camp for kids 7 and up. She has always expressed a big interest in kayaking so I think it would be fun for her. Has anybody sent any of their kids to this camp? And if so do you think 7 years maybe to young? Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
fishinhb

I've been to Catalina with the Y Guides and Y Princesses camping at Camp Fox and most recently Two Harbours. We rent a bunch of kayaks at the dive shop for the parents and the kids. Works out really well for a weekend campout. Both son and daughter caught their very first kayak fish this way!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Mr Mugu

7 is a bit early, best bet is to get down to the harbor and try it with her yourself. My two youngest boys started paddling on their own @ 8.

It's interesting that up here at Carp Reef(La Jolla's not so identical twin), there's a summer kayak program for kids and they encourage kayak fishing!
Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
taggermike

The kayak camp sounds like a fun time for kids. It might depend on the child but if your daughter has already expressed an interest and has paddled with you then she should be OK. I have been taking my girls paddling for years and they have a fun time paddling and fishing. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1170027.jpg (66.9 KB, 46 views)
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote