Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Useful Idiot

11/2 La Jolla

Had some minor electrical difficulty with the bait tank portion of my elaborate system of switches and wiring, but after some on the sand repair with only the assistance of a pair of dikes i was back in action and caught up with the crew at the pier around 7. Bait was easy and I came away with about 5 greenbacks, a mini spanish and a smelt. Drifted for halibut north of the pier for a couple hours with no takers so we began the long journey to the point, into the wind. Dragged macks all the way there with no signs of life and worked the kelp as much as we could handle until the muscle spasms in our arms and lower backs was too much to bear and we called it a day. Rough paddle. Didn't seem very fishy, but it was a beautiful day until the wind kicked up. Calmest I've ever seen the launch, as literal as ankle slappers can be interpreted. We floated onto the sand.
Useful Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Gotta love being able to step over the surf My radio decided to not work again. The pier was thick with greenbacks of all sizes and some micro spanish in the greylight. Lots of scattered birds made you think something was going to happen, but never did that I saw. I got bored enough that I sent a greenback to the bottom and stumbled on a good Ling ledge. After a few chewed up baits I ended up pulling up 2, that looked very close to legal, but released. Just west of me I saw a PBer pull up a decent 20+ halibut from 95 feet of water. Wind got to around 10 kts from the south and I decided enough for today.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
vellocity

at least you guys got some action!
no luck for me this AM..
i figured with everyone sitting and waiting at "the spot" then i'd use my rig to "check out" almost every spot in LJ, outside, inside, south, north. i zipped everywhere for a looky looky..

at 8am i thought the FOG was going to come in thick and since the last few days have been visual fishing i threw in the towel.. i dumped my bait and tied everything down for the ride home and saw that the fog was NOT going to make it to LJ.. opppps!

i stuck around for another 45 mins or so... saw one spot of boilers 1/4 mile away and by the time i got to the area with the wind chop it was hard to pinpoint where they were.. casted for nada..

threw in the towel for good this time and didn't even stay out long enough to find out if it was going to pick up or just remain dead..

Andy-
i tried calling you a few times but i figured your radio died for good, or you forgot it, or you were in SERIOUS SERIOLA MODE..

i hope they stick around
good luck!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote