Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #1
madscientist

7/11 PM

...back on the rats.

Nice afternoon got progressively lumpier as the wind built until about 6:30, when it finally shut off. Only a fat calico on the inside, so I went long. Got out around the corner and the ripping downhill current looked to make for a long return paddle, so I pointed home early. Shortly after the tide swing this little scrapper ate the flyline. Fought above his weight class and even tried to kelp me. Pulled the hook on another I tried horsing in. That was it. Wife's cousin is in town so I figured cali tacos and hamachi would be a good welcome to SD.

Ken, was your radio on? I couldn't hear you if it was. BTW, this makes 5 consecutive trips, though not consecutive days.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
fishin_freak

Rats are like fat chicks, or mopeds...looks fun though.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Dan

Nice....the small frys have been pulling pretty hard lately. Must be eating well.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
DESTROYER

Brad- I love you and your fishing style!

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
msolorz

Or share the wealth...my freezer has space!! :lol:
msolorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOYER THE FISH DESTROYER
Brad- That freezer has to be loaded by now...You ever here of
C & R...and not the Clothing Store :?

Moyer
Ever hear of hungry friends? :lol:
Old 07-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Aka....moochers :lol:
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
DESTROYER

I Likes Fish Brad!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
Jim Sammons LJKF

Quote:
I Likes Fish Brad!
Catch your own damn fish
It is not Brads job to feed the masses.
Keep what you will eat, let them catch their own.
Brad you know the Cali tacos is what got me when you just posted a few days ago about landing all those tuna and dorado and five days in a row with yellows. Come on man
I have all the respect in the world for a guy that puts in that amount of time on the water and consistently gets fish, but I don't respect the attitude that you seem to have of killing everything that hits your line.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
Afran
fishy

Quote:
...but I don't respect the attitude that you seem to have of killing everything that hits your line.

With all due respect,
They say that Opinions are like Assholes... every one has one.

Varity of meals.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Jim Sammons LJKF

Like I said, I have all the respect for Brad as a fisherman and a person, maybe not as a sportsman. I completely defended him when the WSB issue came up. Brad has placed himself in a rather high profile position, and a lot of new guys are going to look to him as an example. I personally don't think he sets the best example for others to follow. This certainly is not the example I want my kids to follow about fishing.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #12
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF
Quote:
I Likes Fish Brad!
Catch your own damn fish
It is not Brads job to feed the masses.
Keep what you will eat, let them catch their own.
Brad you know the Cali tacos is what got me when you just posted a few days ago about landing all those tuna and dorado and five days in a row with yellows. Come on man
I have all the respect in the world for a guy that puts in that amount of time on the water and consistently gets fish, but I don't respect the attitude that you seem to have of killing everything that hits your line.
If I choose to eat only fresh fish and make some friends and colleagues happy, that is my business. I've eaten tuna for 4 straight days, so some hamachi will be a nice change. I've kept about 6 calicos this year, out of easily 10 times that number caught. My YT slaughter this year = about 12. Go check the fish counts from the landings if you really want to get your panties in a bunch.

I like to catch fish.
I like to clean fish.
I like to eat fresh fish.
I like to see the smile on a friends face when I give them fish.
I like to drink the beer they give me as a thank you.

What is so wrong with that?

And Jim, why don't you make your tournament C&R?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #13
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

off the topic.....Brad, you need to get your blood drawn for a mercury level assessment :lol:
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #14
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman
off the topic.....Brad, you need to get your blood drawn for a mercury level assessment :lol:
My wife had that done (hair sample, actually). She was at the very low end of "maybe a problem". She's now cutting way back and being very careful about which types of fish. As I understand it, the mercury is really only a problem for developing nervous systems. Since mine is well on its way to degenerating (right behind my liver), I don't think I have to worry about it.

I never had any interest in being a sportsman. In some ways, I find the notion of hooking and potentially injuring fish just for pleasure, or "sport", less morally defensible than fishing for meat. Walking around the neighborhood trying to kick cats would be sport as well, but most would say somewhat cruel.

Providing fresh, organic, wild caught, non-netted, non-polluting, non-commercially processed seafood to people you care about, now that's a crime and a horrible example to set! :roll:
Old 07-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
Afran
fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF
I have all the respect for Brad as a fisherman... not as a sportsman... I personally don't think he sets the best example for others to follow. This certainly is not the example I want my kids to follow about fishing.
WHAT? ... Wow, that's good stuff. Quotables for 2006.

Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis

Perhaps there should be a discussion in the General Forum on your site featuring proper yak/fishing edicate for newbies. There are a lot more people on the water in little plastic boats who really don't know what's going on or what they are doing, especially out at LJ. Maybe you can suggest they start in a lake or bay. Advice on this topic would help the sport and it would put you in a more high profile position. It's kinda like creating a mess, but not cleaning it up.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I never had any interest in being a sportsman. In some ways, I find the notion of hooking and potentially injuring fish just for pleasure, or "sport", less morally defensible than fishing for meat. Walking around the neighborhood trying to kick cats would be sport as well, but most would say somewhat cruel.
Well said...............I hate when the neighborhood cats shit in our flowerbed.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #17
dgax65
Guerro Grande

While I will release unwanted fish, I don't deliberately go out for a day of catch and release. If I catch it, I want to eat it, or share with others. I don't go over the limits, I'm not on the water that often and I'm not a great fisherman. I can honestly say that my fishing practices are legal and ethical. I know that it is important to remind people that we have to work at keeping fish stocks healthy, but as long as we obey the law we should be allowed to keep what we catch. If there is too much pressure on a particular species, I would think that lobbying for more restrictive limits would be just as, if not more important, than flaming on a person who is fishing legally. If we are going to be outraged by anything, I would save it for the practices of the commercial fishing fleets. The impact of anglers pales in comparison to the damage wrought by commercial fishing. The amount of bycatch that is wasted for each fish that goes to market is staggering. Legally catching fish for my family and friends doesn't bother me; buying fish at the market does. Maybe we should channel our energy towards solving that problem.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #18
Ryan The Sealion

If I were to complain about 1 thing @ LJ besides the 9-balls in the skiffs, it would be the guides and their bunched up clusterfucks of uneducated anglers/yakers...

kill another 1 tomorrow for sammons brad :twisted:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #19
kurt

I think it's interesting that fish is still one of the few foods that are caught wild, and you can go to any grocery store and buy. I don't see many elk or bison steaks in the cooler at Von's. I'm not sure what that means, but maybe it is better to give fish to people than have them buy it and support destructive commercial practices. I could be wrong. I keep fish, and release fish, so I guess I'm just wishy-washy.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
DESTROYER

Very nice response Ryan! :? Do you even no Jim? . Brad can do whatever he wants. It's a free country and he is in the legal limits each day to keep what he does. I guess we just never here about the C & R stories. I was one of the first guys ever to post on this site and to support it. I have always embrace the whole kayak community and supported every kayak web site. In the old days, we could make comments to one another and then see each other out on the water and have a laugh about it later. With sponsorships, teams, and the growth of this sport, has come tournaments, prestige, and the glory of posting a huge fish with your face lighting up every web page. Disagreements have become more frequent, enemy's made, clicks, etc. I almost regret posting stuff sometimes because I'm afraid of how it will come off to others. I'm sure all of you have a Jim story. Here's my story:

My dad got brain cancer and Jim was the first person to step up and offer assistance to help my family with their piling medical bills. My dad passed away one month before the LJKF tournament and Jim offered to put my dad's name on it, keeping Steve Moyer's name alive and giving half the money to my mom and the other half to the ACS. Now wheather you like his view or not, he's a stand up guy and a great sportsman. He also kills fish.....but just like our American Indian's attitude, he takes from the ocean only what he needs. His meathods of teaching other might come off like preaching or just being a Dick, but I assure you all that your hating on the wrong person. MY 2 CENTS!

TL-Matt Moyer