Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
yakman619
HMFIC

Lowrance Elite-4 DSI issues

I'm wondering if anyone here has had issues with their Elite-4 DSI. I had my head unit replaced under warranty two years ago, and now I'm having the same issue with the new unit. As soon as I power the FF on, it will navigate to the main menu then power off. This occurred with the last unit until finally it wouldn't even power on.

Prior to launching today, I powered the unit on and all seemed well. Once I made it past the surf, I pulled my FF and mount out of the hull storage and mounted it in the scotty mount...I though all was well until I powered it on and the mother effer powered right off again. I tried tightening the connections, ensured the power connection was clean, connected, and snug...regardless of what I did, the issue persisted.

Could it be an issue with wiring? Do I just have bad luck and got another effed unit? The last three numbers of the first unit's SN was 666, it may be a sign that the Elite-4 isnt for me.

Last edited by yakman619; 08-23-2015 at 02:04 PM.
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman619 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here has had issues with their Elite-4 DSI. I had my head unit replaced under warranty two years ago, and now I'm having the same issue with the new unit. As soon as I power the FF on, it will navigate to the main menu then power off. This occurred with the last unit until finally it wouldn't even power on.

Prior to lunching today, I powered the unit on and all seemed well. Once I made it past the surf, I pulled my FF and mount out of the hull storage and mounted it in the scotty mount...I though all was well until I powered it on and the mother effer powered right off again. I tried tightening the connections, ensured the power connection was clean, connected, and snug...regardless of what I did, the issue persisted.

Could it be an issue with wiring? Do I just have bad luck and got another effed unit? The last three numbers of the first unit's SN was 666, it may be a sign that the Elite-4 isnt for me.
Post up if you find out what the problem is. I was having the same problem with my Elite 5 last weekend. It would power down every 15 minutes or so. I though it was maybe a battery or connection problem, but the battery checked out fine and all the connections and wiring looked good. If it happens again I'll be sending mine in under warranty.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
yakman619
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
Post up if you find out what the problem is. I was having the same problem with my Elite 5 last weekend. It would power down every 15 minutes or so. I though it was maybe a battery or connection problem, but the battery checked out fine and all the connections and wiring looked good. If it happens again I'll be sending mine in under warranty.
With this being two in a row for me, and hearing your issue (which is exactly what my first unit did, it kept cycling on and off), I question the quality of the product. I'm sure more units work well than dont, but two for two on my end is enough for me to never buy Lowrance again. On the plus side for you, their customer service is friendly and they will replace yours without issue under warranty. The problem is, we shouldn't have to be replacing a unit due to defect. The more I read into it, the more I am hearing regarding their DSI systems having problems.
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
Fishin' Magician

Not sure if this will help or not, but I was having an issue with my Lowrance Elite 4 HDI a few weeks ago, I even posted about the troubles I was having. I went down to West Marine in Newport Beach to discuss the problems that I was having with their tech guy. One of the suggestions that he made was to download the latest software update and upload that to my head unit. I did that and some of the features that I was having problems with seemed to be fixed. Not all of them, but most of them. So...., while it may or may not solve your particular problem, it might not hurt to see if you can upload the latest software update into the unit. There are YouTube videos on how to do it. Wasn't hard to do.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Did you install the fuse? I heard those things are the first component to fail and short out the system frequently. I never use the fuse...
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
igotpron
Xcoastie

I had a defective elite 5 hdi. It started randomly powering down several times per trip. Filled out warranty claim and got it replaced. Got a replacement and I still wasn't happy with it. Contacted lowrance and I traded in for the hd7 gen 2 touch for 230$. Now I'm happy...

Maybe that's an option for some, selling a used ff is iffy and your not going to get what you want, but lowrance did a better then fair deal for me and I'd do it again.
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:47 AM   #7
anchovie

Mine also powers down at least once per trip. They release produce before the bugs are worked out.
anchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Check all connections, make sure they are tight. Especially the connections at the battery. And definitely check lowrance website to ensure you have the latest software update.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote