Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
'Cuda

hurricane damage

Anybody have any news on hurricane Jimena damage....particularly the Abreojos area...... I heard Baja 1 south of the LA Bay turnoff is impassable.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
T-Rex

I didn't hear anything about Baja 1, but I read that torrential rains slammed the area and thrashed the roads in the Punta Pequena and Abreojos areas.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
-scallywag-
Banned

punta pequenta (scorpion bay) has a webssite with a forum. I'm sure the south road is ok......the cantina at the surf camp on second point just got shut down by the "mexican health dept." last month....
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
-scallywag-
Banned

Posted by Ruben on the scorpion bay forum

Wednesday, 9/9/09 PM
No one has arrived via the North Road yet.

Monday, 9/7/09 PM:
A group of campers arrived in an F-150 and a Tundra via the South Road this afternoon. They said it was ugly but doable.

Saturday, 9/5/09 AM:
Wow, you wouldnt recognise the beaches!!! - full of debris and mud!!! The bocana cadaje ran so hard the dunes are gone and the river flowed all the way across!!! Should be interesting to see what happens to the surf!

Friday night, 9/4/09:
There was more rain in San Juanico.

Thursday evening, 9/3/09:
The arroyos, north and south, Cadejé and Mesquital are heavy with running water and not passable. The rainy remains of Jimena is forecast to re-cross the peninsula near Viscaino and Scammon's Lagoon Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Could be a week or more till travel by land will be feasible.

From Kory Thursday, 9/3/09 AM:
We got hit by a hurricane - eye and all.
Outhouses are all tipped.
Cantina roof, house roof, some palapa roofs, sleeping room roofs need repairs.
I was told that the La Ballena arroyo was huge. The South road is not crossable at Mesquital.
The roads are in bad shape, the ocean is brown, and there is no surf in the forecast - maybe not the best time to come down.
Lots of clean-up work to be done here.

From a resident in San Juanico Thursday, 9/3/09 AM:
We are all okay. The hurricane passed right over us at a category 1. There was a lot of down fences, trees and limbs, and palapa roofs were ruffled. A few shacks are down like Antonio's tire shop. Major wind and medium rain. Took out the south road again at the Mesquital causeway, so we are stranded for awhile, but that was expected. We are now on clean up.

From the Baja Bush Pilots, 9/3/09:
Mid-Baja has suffered major damage.
Matancitas (Lopez Mateos) Almost 90% of the structures are down or severely damaged. All water, power, telephone, etc. out
Ciudad Constitucion: Most roofs are gone; sever damage to 70% of the buildings. Power, water, telephones are out
Loreto: All power / telephone are down, lines are down, trees and buildings blocking the streets, airport is closed at this time.
Mulege: All power, telephone, water, etc. is out. The water crested three feet above the bridge. Water was two feet deep in the fire station which would mean that almost of the entire town was flooded. There are reports of loss of life.
Punta Chivato: One person indicates that the wind was over 100 mph before the indicator broke. Damage to almost everything. We should hear about the condition of the strip sometime today
Santa Rosalia: Wall of water came down the canyon and through the town and washed cars into the ocean.

Report from Kory, 9/2/09 8:30 PM Wednesday
San Juanico was in the eye of Jimena for 45 minutes this afternoon. There was damage from the wind. Everyone in town seems to be OK as are the cantina's employees.

A San Juanico resident, 9/2/09 5:00 PM Wednesday
...... had to evacuate to a home with a concrete roof when our boat palapa started to go! I'm guessing the winds hit 100 mph! Lots of fences down and palapas damaged but it doesn't seem like anything major. Winds are still 40/50 plus and it's raining but it seems like the worst is behind us. We are all OK.

NOAA said to expect Jimena would drop between 5 and 10 inches of rain on Southern Baja. Better wait to travel till there is news of the road conditions.

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
TCS

South Road is Passable

People are getting in on the south road and there is hurricane swell there right now. I took my kayak with me when I went in June and scored some halibut and corvina. The migratory fish are too far out from San Juanico to paddle it from a kayak.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
kq
Junior

i live in bahia asuncion, no damage here or in abreojos, major damage in san ignacio, santa rosalia, mulege, san carlos, constitution, and loreto
kq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
'Cuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq View Post
i live in bahia asuncion, no damage here or in abreojos, major damage in san ignacio, santa rosalia, mulege, san carlos, constitution, and loreto
Thanks for the info....I'm driving down on Monday...camping at Abreojos.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
T-Rex

Good luck with the fish and the surf!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote