Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
cabojohn
PROBATION

Irvine Lake - quick trip

Went to Da Vine this am...got a waaay late start & blown off the water early cuz it got windy. Nice to get on the water anyway!
Got one booger-stocker size L on the slow paddle that took the hook/ lure deep & made the stringer. :shock:
Here are a couple quick pics of the am.

cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Jzo

Thx for sharing, great pics.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
steveooo

Looks like it was freeeeezing! Looks like your rig is pretty set up for that type of fishing.
"Cabo!, I'm tangled like a drunken monkey!"
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
"Cabo!, I'm tangled like a drunken monkey!"
That's what I am talking about SteveO. ha
LOL- that was f'n insane...and a quote I hope to hear again and again.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

I was out there this past saturday....and boy what a madhouse!!!! worked hard all day for 2 fish. The boat traffic was so bad it pushed most of the fish down until the late afternoon. That's when I caught mine and got alot of bites around that time too. Too bad you got blown off the water, that seems to happen alot there, looks like you had a good time anyways.

Tony
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Siebler

Glad to see your making it out Cabo. I think come early this next year before Cat we need to take a Kayak trip to the river.

Maybe a little wheeling/kayak fishing adventure? I know there are a couple other BWE/TTORA members that would like to go.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
I know there are a couple other BWE/TTORA members that would like to go.
hahahaha.....Cabo, thats one strait Taco!!!! I don't even see a scratch on those rockers or bumpers....

I'd be down 4 a wheeling/yak trip....if you don't mind wheel'en with a beat-up 2nd gen toy....I promise I wont break any halfshafts

I had a trip planned this summer to run the rubicon with yaks for the Marlin Crawler event but never made it.... I really want to target those big pike lurking in buck isl. lake....maybe next year?

where do you guys go on the river....picacho?
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Siebler

its all about Toy's on this trip... May have to get Trob to bring out the 86 4wd he just bought too. I know a couple Jeep guys that would love to go too though....

I was thinking Picacho but Cabo just PMed saying Havasu which sounds good to me. Might be better for me as well since theres more flat space to play with the Long Travel on my truck. Gotta get my sliders on before then and get all the cage work finished I guess!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
JoeBeck

Thanks for this post guys. I have never heard of Picacho but it sounds like it is right outside of Yuma where my wife's parents live. I'll have to check this spot out with the kayaks. Any other good fishing in that area?

I have a 4x4 tundra so I'm up for a 4 wheeling yak trip. Be fun times
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

I was contemplating a family trip there right after Christmas with a rented pop up.....maybe San Felipe would be easier

search Picacho on BD, popular spot

Afran's post

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fr...-03-2-4-a.html
Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

I like Picacho, it's even fun to say.....PICACHO!!!

yep its a cool yak spot, a few miles up river from Martinez Lake, but it can get pretty crowded during the summer, pretty empty the rest of the year....caught lots of LMB, SMB, carp and cats in that area. Also lots of mild 4x4 trails and washes around there...definantly worth checking out.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Siebler

Picacho is fun, We usually camp at Taylor lake or drive all the way up to Outpost Camp (usually 4wd required but I do fine in 2wd with the locker).

For a real Offroad trip there is always coming in from Indians Pass. Its definitely more of a 4wd trial but I have done it once in 2wd (again, locker is a must).

Furgeson is an easy spot too that isnt such a long dirt road drive.

For the Spring Havasu is sounding far more fun for me. Awesome carp and striped bass fishing along with everything else. Plus I want to be able to get out and run the new Deaver F67 pack im about to install

Old 11-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
tattuna

Yakin and wheelin would be a cool trip! I haven't used the locker on my FJ in months. If you guys set up a date enough ahead of time count me in. WARNING though: If you value your rig DO NOT follow Cabo! That guy's a thrill seeker!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattuna View Post
WARNING though: If you value your rig DO NOT follow Cabo! That guy's a thrill seeker!!!
This is true. He once told me I should go on a run with them telling me "youll make it most the way with the locker and Ill just pull you over anything else".

Pretty sure that is why I decided to go LT instead of 4wd/SAS conversion. Cabo's invite scared me haha.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
cjthomas

What locker are you guys running?
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
Siebler

I run an Aussie Locker. Its a full time locker as is everything available for the 7.5" rearend on my truck. Its not harsh on road at all like some of the others and does really well offroad. I still wish somebody made a Electric or Air for my truck though. Guess I could always swap out for a bigger axle.....

Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
cjthomas

I was thinking about the Aussie Locker, but I wasn't sure about the quality...good to hear!
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Siebler

Yeah I actually heard of the Aussie Locker from one of the OEX customers. So far im very happy with it, its proven itself worthy everything from crawling to dunes.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
cabojohn
PROBATION

went to Irvine Lake again yesterday fer shits & giggles.
First fish hooked was a big ass trout (10-15# stocker steriod plant fish) that spit the hook as I tried to fit the pig into the net. Fawk.
Ended up with three keepers (more rainbow lobster bait) that went for 6.5# I lost a couple other fish too. ha Good morning on the water...had to change my direction a few hundred times as the lake was pretty crowded. Rental boats.

and a pic:

Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #20
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

found it!
i would be down to do a co river run with fishing/wheeling as long as you dont mind my vicente fernandez music at 5 am

The old lady and i just got back from baja, too much wind to fish, but I really want to get back to puertocitos for some fishing diving and soaking in the hot springs.
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote