Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
djphaneuf
Junior

The One That Got Away

I am a beginner so cut me some slack. Launched at 6. Lots of yaks and lots of boats at LJS. Caught my first squid on sabiki so I thought I would send him below on my iron. Put it down on the bottom and after about 30 min my 20-50 lb rated rod was bendo with tip in the water. Fought for about 10 minutes and finally saw fish coming to surface. At first I thought it was a giant ray but soon enough figured out it was a halibut. Got it gaffed and to side of kayak. Had my hand in its gill and game hook through gill and fastened. Just about to pull it out of the water and try to figure out where to put it (not gonna fit in my Revo hatch) and how to get my iron out of its mouth (swallowed whole) when it erupted and managed to open the game clip and snap my line in a second. I guess I should have read the info on what to do with a man eating halibut after you catch it. Boat next to me caught similar size halibut and said it was bigger than the 35 lber that he caught last night. Totally bummed but happy I at least got to see it up close and personal. Amazing fish!

The waves are getting bigger but was fortunate enough to time it well on the way out and back in.

Feeling more like a farmer than a fisherman,

DP
djphaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
djphaneuf
Junior

Where is the Halibut Check List?

Someone mentioned a checklist for how to handle a halibut of this size. I did not see it under the Information tab. Can anyone point me to it?

Thx,

DP
Old 07-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Aaron

Step 1: Catch your first giant halibut.
Step 2: Get excited because you got it next to your boat.
Step 3: Think to yourself, "These things aren't that bad." Lace game clip through gill and maybe even pet the halibut as it smiles at you.
Step 4: Regret Step 1
Step 5: Next time remember step 2b: Gaff and strike head of halibut with blunt object with follow-up shots as necessary. Feel free to scream like a girl as you accomplish step 2b. Also feel free to remember Sammons post on "hook removal" as Step 6 if you are using a trap rig.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
dorado50

Always..always reduce the drag as fish is along side the kayak. A reduced drag upon landing will forgive (99%) of the time of what happend when the fish left the yak. With the reduced pressure on the line if the fish takes off the lesser drag pressure will not break the line. It will also help the chances of not pulling the hook..
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
djphaneuf
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
Step 1: Catch your first giant halibut.
Step 2: Get excited because you got it next to your boat.
Step 3: Think to yourself, "These things aren't that bad." Lace game clip through gill and maybe even pet the halibut as it smiles at you.
Step 4: Regret Step 1
Step 5: Next time remember step 2b: Gaff and strike head of halibut with blunt object with follow-up shots as necessary. Feel free to scream like a girl as you accomplish step 2b. Also feel free to remember Sammons post on "hook removal" as Step 6 if you are using a trap rig.
I followed most of these steps except mine was more like:

1. Catch first giant halibut (hope there is another like this but bummed because this was fish of a lifetime).
2. Get excited because it is next to the boat and you have it gaffed.
3. Think to yourself, "this thing is huge, what do I do now, better at least get the game clip on it.".....how did you know I petted the halibut?
4. Game clip is on so lets get it out of the water before the sea dogs come after my prize fish.

The rest was a blur but next time I will reduce the drag and have a blunt object to beat it to death with. Lesson learned the hard way. Never even thought about getting the hook out because it pretty much swallowed my squid and iron and I knew better than to stick my hand anywhere near its mouth.

Holy crap! I watched step 6 and think I would opt for the cut the line and go to the emergency room method before I let my buddy yank a treble hook out of me. At least they said it was not for use above the neck or when caught in main blood vessels

Last edited by djphaneuf; 07-03-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

I have heard but never tested this.
for halibut make a deep cut across the fish just above the tail and then sever the spine there with your knife.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Here is an old post of mine when I was schooled in landing large Halibut.

Buttchaser showed up a few minutes after me so I decided to stay inside the Harbor at Cabrillo and try for some sabiki bait and some Butts. After about 2 hours of searching, I only had 1 Dine and a hand full of ok to large Smelt. I think all that John had was 1 small mac and the same Smelt. BTW, if it were not for John showing up, I would not have had any bait. The new sabiki that I pulled out last night was still in my kitchen waiting for a new ziplock to be put around it. So after 2 hours of catching Drag Burning Bait (DBB) I was fed up and decided to try my 1 Sardine. Headed out about 100 feet to the spot I had success the last time I was out with John. Had my bait down all of 2 minutes when I felt some tugging on the other end. John was still making bait at the time, but dropped what he was doing to come over and get some pics while I was working the fish up. Little did he realize that he was going to be giving a free lesson on the proper way to land a big Butt. I have landed a couple of nice ones, but never so smoothly and effortlessly. And for his effort, he got a nice shower from the fish splashing after I had popped the gill on it.

Nope,he says, bring him up on your right side for the gaff if you are right handed. Ok.

Get your game clip ready. Open the end and place it in your lap, and make sure it is tied off. Check. Now go for the belly with the gaff. Got it.

On a belly gaff shot the fish will almost always go limp until you set it back into the water. So once you gaff it, keep the head out of water till you have it clipped and dehooked.

Is it tied off securely. It will be soon as I attach the secondary cord.

Ok, now remove the gaff and pop a gill. Put your hand under the gill plate, grab a gill and yank. Ok here goes.

Now beat the living daylights out of the thing before you drop it back into the water or it will (oops too late, and you are welcome for the shower) go balistic.
Now pose like you knew what you were doing the whole time.

New PB 40.5 inches and 24.13 pounds. Actually the fish fought less that my previous best until he gave us both the shower. I think I owe you about a case of beer by now John?

The only things I would add now are carry 2 game clips for anything over 20 lbs, and remember that seals like Halibut too. Once you have it calmed down a bled some, get it out of the water. I tried to put my 38# Butt into my front hatch a little prematurely and the lid looked like I was cooking popcorn up there for 15 minutes.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
radastaff

bring hali to the surface
sneak game clip thru the gills when she isent looking
secure game clip to yak
break out big knife
and cut a gill or two
wait for hali to die
hold on
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
lamb

sorry to hear about your biggenbutt that got away.

Keep at it, and the bigger one may sign in

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...t=Land+halibut
Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
djphaneuf
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
sorry to hear about your biggenbutt that got away.

Keep at it, and the bigger one may sign in

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...t=Land+halibut
Thanks, I am still sick over it and thinking of all the things I should have done differently. Probably lucky I did not get it in the yak without killing it because it could not fit in my cockpit and would have had its face in my lap.

Oh well, its the 4th of July so let's put it in perspective and hope another fish gives me a chance to do a better job. Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Bummer on loosing you trophy fish... For that reason I made a stringer that I carry ..
I usually follow these steps
Gaff, Game clip and then the stringer, The pipe goes through the loop .... Hold on
Attached Images

buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
GregAndrew

That is a great list Adi!! I also don't like to beat my Halibut unless I need to, because it reduces the effectiveness of the bleeding. But the dogs can force my hand sometimes.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
CurtyL

I almost feel better about boating a T than I do a hali. They are the toughest fish to kill.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
SGV Rookie

How about Braining?

I saw this on the spear board, Only concern would be popping a hole in the deck.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...ht=sciencemike

Dave
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote